What's for Dinner #101 - the Holidaypalooza Edition! - December 2023

Penne with oil-roasted toms. Roasted Italian sausage. Marinated shrooms. Salad greens with house vinaigrette.

26 Likes

Comfort food. Seared and roasted chicken thigh, garlic mash. butter, sour cream, slash of milk and gravy. Salad of mixed greens, green onion, celery, carrot, pickled beets, blue cheese, ranch dressing. Manhattan and wine.

24 Likes

I ordered straciatella soup and chicken marsala with veggies from my neighbourhood trattoria, after eating cookies all day long. :rofl: Both hit the spot.

14 Likes

With you in the sisterhood of eating many holiday cookies…

4 Likes

I chased my post with 2 of @rstuart’s delicious whipped shortbread, bringing today’s cookie total to 10. 2 test cookies, 5 cookie swap cookies, 1 more test cookie, 2 whipped shortbreads.
I left my cookie swap loot in the car so I wouldn’t eat any more.

22 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport, NJ, including pan roasted duck breast with duck confit and mushroom jambalaya; crab cakes; fig and gorgonzola toast; muffuletta and burrata salad, with nduja spread; BBQ shrimp; It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

16 Likes

oops, posted this on the November thread.

dinner last night at my sister’s - I made Chilean seabass seared with shiitakes and garlic, drizzled with sake, then into the oven to finish. A little soy, sesame oil, and scattered red chilies, scallions, and ginger, then drizzled with hot oil to sizzle everything up. Amazingly good. Sister made a cuke and red onion salad with sugar and white vinegar, perfect contrast to the salty flavors of the fish.

Also, I made eggnog that I’m aging, following a Ruhlman recipe. The small jar we’ll have this xmas, and the big jar will be for Xmas 2024. Boozy goodness - can’t wait!

24 Likes

And I’ll repeat my >swoooooon< over that luscious sea bass :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Your rice always looks so good. Would you mind sharing what type white rice you use, please.

I (shop at Safeway/Albertson’s and) buy Hinode brand Jasmine rice.

3 Likes

Thank you so very much.

1 Like

I did another lasagne this week. It’s going down really well and isn’t hard to make but with the sauce cooking as long as it does, it heats our flat up nicely.

29 Likes

We’re watching a lot more football and sports lately with our visitors. I made a game day snack platter with a Midwestern bent (the relish tray). Works well for the low(er) carber.

24 Likes

The “Dalaro” sandwich from the popular brasserie Sturehof, Stockholm. It consists of smoked herring, red onion, chive, vendace roe and egg yolk. Served with a complementary assortment of flatbreads and caviar butter.

20 Likes

Rainy, dreary day here in NE, and some pretty bad football too!
Made a beef stew, served with some leftover rolls from Thanksgiving. It was pretty good, lots of root veggies and some peas. Thought I made a lot but this is all that was left after the 4 of us ate.

23 Likes

Oh, dang does that sound great.

I just noticed the stray colored pencil and Santa sock :joy:

1 Like

11 Likes

Descriptions plz :grin:

Pasta with chicken, bell peppers and tomatoes. And apparently quite a bit of olive oil. Like lots.

6 Likes