What's for Dinner #101 - the Holidaypalooza Edition! - December 2023

Sunshine went over to one of her girlfriend’s for dinner tonight (Holiday Girl Night). When she got home I asked her what the friend served for dinner and was told “soup and salad”. I know my girlfriend and I knew that wouldn’t cut it. Sure enough, about 9:30 she came to me and was hungry. So I microwaved some precooked meatballs and made two mini meatball subs for her. I didn’t have any sub rolls in stock, so hot dog buns were substituted. I lightly toasted them with some provolone cheese.

24 Likes

Oh I wish I could eat something like that at night!

3 Likes

Eating this late won’t affect Sunshine in the least. About 11:00, she’ll crawl into bed and sleep like a log.

3 Likes

As I say to myself every morning - Looks aren’t everything! I bet it tasted wonderfully.

Better than it looks!

1 Like

Last night’s meal.

5 Likes

Thank you so very, very much for both versions. Do you put just a dash of freshly grated nutmeg or more. To be quite honest, I have never added nutmeg to a spinach dish. I certainly have heard of it but just never did it. Your recipe and instructions might just give the oomph to do so.

You are welcome! Nutmeg has the potential to be overpowering. I would suggest starting with just a grate or two, to see how you like it. You can always add (but not take away).

2 Likes

Again, thank you so very much. After all of the holiday visitors, and holiday haulabaloo is over, and recovery from my surgery, I plan to make this. I love, love nutmeg, have just never had in a vegetable dish. Therefore, will start with a small grate.

1 Like

It’s great in mashed potatoes, too. But as @MunchkinRedux said, you want to use it really sparingly.

4 Likes

I learned to season fresh, French cut, green beans with butter, white pepper and grated fresh nutmeg when we lived in the Netherlands. They were commonly available pre-cut in bags at Albert Heijn grocery stores - I used to steam them. The recipe was on the back of the bag. They are quite tasty. My experience is the Dutch are a bit heavy-handed with nutmeg and there were some things I did not care for, but the green beans seasoned this way were quite good (I had control over how much seasoning to add).

5 Likes

Bone in chicken thighs in the cast iron pan, skin side down till crispy, finished in the oven.
Baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. Sliced cucumbers and red peppers on the table.
A little red wine, all in all, a pretty good dinner.

18 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a spring roll bowl. It’s like summer on a plate.

18 Likes

Voting for Dish of the Quarter is up! Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Dish of the Quarter - VOTING

1 Like

Also, no need for voting on Cuisine of the Quarter - MEXICAN was our only nominee, so the thread is now live. Christmas tamales, anyone? MEXICAN - Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Cuisine of the Quarter

3 Likes

Pork shogayaki with rice, salad, and miso soup

24 Likes

Pizza night. Stonefire thin crust, garlic alfredo sauce, mozz, caramelized onion & fennel, Italian sausage, wilted radicchio, fennel fronds. Parm on the side. Mixed greens salad, green onion, radish, yellow baby bell, oo&v dressing. Yes there was acqua. Pizza was great, will definitely make again.

23 Likes

We did simple - still cleaning out the refrigerator & freezer drawer. Sloppy Joes (had hamburger and bulky rolls frozen). A jar of Stonewall Kitchen’s Sloppy Joe Sauce. A bag of Cole slaw mix and 1/2 jar of Marie’s Cole slaw dressing leftover. Enough again for tomorrow night.

14 Likes

Last night I made a take off on Chicken Yassa from Cook’s Illustrated January/February 2024, page 4. A 14 day loan from my Montana Library to Go.
It turned out wonderfully my way this time, and I will definitely make it again when I can tolerate the richness of this dish. I used skin on chicken thighs, about 2/3 of the caramelized onions, added in 1/2 each yellow and red bell peppers, chopped and subbed out the habenero for a jalapeno. I served it on a mound of basmati in a shallow soup/salad bowl. I had very little since I didn’t get finished making it until way after my 4pm meal cut off time. The roomate said it was very tasty and to me, this recipe would be the perfect for base for some refer vegetable purging. I could smell the wonderful mustardy/lemony gravy but sadly, my taste hasn’t returned yet. Sorry no pics, maybe next time.

11 Likes

My taste isn’t back yet, either. I tested positive on 9/16. I can taste mustardy/lemony and raw onion. I know I’m missing a lot - discourages me from putting much effort into cooking anything time-consuming/complex. What’s the point?

2 Likes