What's for Dinner #101 - the Holidaypalooza Edition! - December 2023

That looks absolutely delicious @linguafood - you are a good friend of a friend’s dad!

3 Likes

Had some mascarpone that I didn’t feel like making into anything sweet, so o decided to use it in pasta. Some pork I had ground and frozen got turned into sausage and together with some mushrooms made for this delicious pasta. Love gomiti for this sort of dish, as the sausage gets into the crannies (you ever notice nobody ever seems to use the word “crannies” without “nooks and” attached?)!

23 Likes

Just a suggestion… if he wants to start to try to make his own meals, you can’t go wrong with a slow cooker. Put something in it in the morning (add a little liquid in the bottom) & let it go all day, then eat in the evening.
They also make “slow cooker” liners for easy cleanup.

6 Likes

I don’t know how old the poor man is - I am guessing in his mid-80s. Depending on how spry/with it mentally he is, that might be a solution for the future, but right now I think he may still be overwhelmed with grief & not want to deal with any kind of food prep.

5 Likes

Thank you! It really was NBD - my day gigs slow down significantly this time of year, so at least I did something more useful than fart around on the internet :wink:

Plus I do love to cook - which is what we all have in common here, right?

4 Likes

Dish of the Quarter moms are underway:

3 Likes

Pimiento cheese from the Amá cookbook with chips. IPA for him and Sauvignon Blanc for me! Yay, Friday!

25 Likes

Nice soup!

1 Like

No notes, all from memory, which isn’t as sharp as it used to be :sweat_smile: I’ll post something y’all can follow tho…

1 Like

Spicy honey/sriracha/bbq glazed wings with a side of Caesar salad, garnished with pickled veg an Parm Regg

23 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t call it cooking, exactly… TJ’s cacio e pepe ravs based on @LindaWhit’s recommendation with sautéed maitake & spinach & a splash o’ heavy cream. Salad with sour cream mustard dressing with the last of the fresh dill & parsley. Hit the spots.

69FCE101-225A-4DFC-90EA-0621EDA7277B_4_5005_c

6C24A16B-7D3F-4622-8DC5-508CB1CA45A6_4_5005_c

21 Likes

Meatloaf with ketchup/salsa sauce, fully loaded cauliflower, mixed greens salad, red onion, cuke, tomatoes, ranch dressing. Water.

26 Likes

Another meatloaf dinner. This is Ina Garten’s recipe, which I make individual style. I like this version for the plethora of onions – it keeps the little loaves moist and juicy.

Leftover spinach gratin. The last of the leftover Irish champ.

25 Likes

Meatloaf is planned in our house tomorrow night! DH makes 3 at a time and two go into the freezer. That cauliflower looks delicious. We’re having mashed potatoes with ours because he made mushroom gravy last weekend to go with Jagerschnitzel and we froze what was left. I’ll probably cook some green beans for a side. I always admire your salads - I usually run out of steam before I can make one appear on a regular basis and I don’t like pre-made mixes.

10 Likes

What is in Irish champ?

Green onions, mostly, added to traditional mashed potatoes. Good stuff!

5 Likes

That looks similar to the one I bake, except I saute finely diced onions, garlic, carrots and celery, and I use a panade instead of dry bread crumbs.

1 Like

I made two 5 x 7 loaves and one and a half went into the freezer. Sometimes I keep the half out for sandwiches but I don’t usually eat lunch.

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner was Pasta Alfredo with Andouille Sausage.

22 Likes
4 Likes