What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

Unicorn.

Cuz we all know that eggplant does not exist on pizzas.

3 Likes

Eggplant with shrimp, unless I misunderstood. I may well have bc the mere mention of it now induces an immediate hypnagogic state…

3 Likes

I wish I had friends like yours :slight_smile: I am clearly hanging around with the wrong people :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s been a life-long elimination process. Do they bring good pizza? Yay.

Do they not? Good-bye! :rofl:

4 Likes

So, New England Boiled Dinner! Delicious

1 Like

Few dinners this week.

The night of @Phoenikia’s chinese feast, before what ended up being a surprisingly mediocre dumplings and noodles meal, some homemade gravlax.

A new dish I invented that I’m calling “Chow Fun Hash” (will also appear sometime as “Pad See Ew Hash”) :joy:. My inability to throw away perfectly good food meant I froze fresh ho fun (which you’re apparently not supposed to do anything with other than use absolutely fresh), and when I thawed and cooked them, of course they broke up more than usual. Still, tasted right! Paired with chat siu pork.

Roast chicken (breast), scalloped potatoes, bread salad, and leftover broccoli rabe that was very, very garlicky. (I may have gone a bit extra on the herbes de Provence I decided to add to the potatoes, but it tasted like our family white gravy which was the point, so that worked out fine.)

Leftover chicken breast with ginger scallion noodles (using up the ginger scallion condiment that came with the various roast meats I picked up in Chinatown before thanksgiving, supplemented with fresh ginger and scallions).

26 Likes

Love this. I always try to fix mediocre food, too.

That looks really comforting and like something I would go for in this dreary (cold, overcast and ready to snow) weather.

2 Likes

Not just rats. Pizza-stealing subway-riding rats.

1 Like

You should see what the raccoons are up to.

1 Like

A rather spectacular meal at Lilla Ego in Stockholm. Apparently reservations are tough to score, but they have an 8 seat bar for walk-ins. So I rolled the dice and showed up 10 minutes prior to opening on a cold, windy and snowy evening hoping the weather would act as a deterrent. (narrator’s voice: “It was not a deterrent”) I was fortunate enough to secure a seat. It’s contemporary fine dining at extremely fair prices for what you’re getting. After you order, you get a sourdough roll with cultured butter and sunflower seeds.

I had an outstanding and unusual steak tartare preparation made with roasted chicken skin, shiso pickled radish, ponzu mayonnaise and browned chicken butter. My main was Arctic char with pickled potatoes, jalapeno oil, broad beans and white wine sauce. My dessert was a layered apple sorbet, apple compote, almond crumble, vanilla creme and thyme leaves. A highlight of my trip so far.

19 Likes

Tonight I made fish chowder with potato and bacon, preceded by some shrimp cocktail and veggies and dill dip.

24 Likes

I put together a base for a bean and smoked sausage soup in the slow cooker this morning before work. It got Parm, parsley, and lemon before serving. We had sourdough with butter on the side.

22 Likes

NYT Roasted coho salmon/ Brussels/habanero (supposed to be jalapeno so it was extra citrusy-spicy)/drizzled with soy sauce/rice vinegar/lemon juice. Side of air-fryer Maine yellow potatoes with delightful Momo yuzu jalepeno. I stuck with my veggie chili tonight. Pork dumplings and ramen for Spring Onion.

Three different meals, 3 happy people.

24 Likes

Home late after dropping off some work stuff for a coworker who had back surgery a couple of weeks ago and is home from rehab. Thankfully I had taken out a BS chicken breast from the freezer last night, so after seasoning with s/p and dried thyme, it was quickly pan-seared in olive oil for about 3-4 minutes each side, then removed to a baking dish.

Minced shallots was added to the oil, then lemon and lime juice and white wine. Reduced it a bit, whisked in some Dijon mustard and honey to emulsify, and poured it over the chicken and baked in the oven until done.

Served on leftover orzo with buttered steamed green beans alongside.

Wine.

25 Likes

Drive thru! Salty fries, over cooked burger and wine. No apologies-was a sucky day!

11 Likes

using up leftovers… BF made himself a soup with the last of the turkey, fregola sarda, and veggies, and for me a giant salad with all the veggies i brought home from my sister’s with a balsamic/walnut oil dressing, and a little ramekin of my leftover black beanie/non-weenie shtoup.

19 Likes

My take on Turkey Tetrazzini. All the succulent turkey from the 10.6# Heritage turkey after the carcass was made into stock. I got about 7quarts of rich stock out of it, about 3 cups went into this dish. We added crushed garlic croutons to the top. Lots of leftovers for the late arrivals tonight. Served with steamed asparagus on the side.
It’s ‘noing’ outside

21 Likes

A busy day today called for a quick and easy dinner.

Homemade pork-and-scallion potstickers from the freezer. Storebought char siu. Shredded cabbage in an Asian-inspired vinaigrette. Long grain rice.

21 Likes

self-care always! no apologies necessary.

1 Like