What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

A cold, blustery Sunday triggered a random hankering for our local Pakistani’s fabulous keema karahi – their version using ground lamb & generous amounts of ginger, garlic, and spiked with that comforting warmth only the unabashed use of chili peppers can create – seemed like the perfect meal after a late afternoon band practice for our upcoming shows this month…. but alas, they’re closed today. SADZ :sob:

I pivoted to preparing another barter meal for our cat sitter / my keyboarder: white bean, sausage, kale & potato stew. I used both hot and mild Italian sausages from Aldi that I sautéed after melting a few anchovy filets in Turkish olive oil, then cut them up and sautéed some more until nicely browned.

Added a sliced onion and a buncha crushed garlic, fennel seeds, Aleppo pepper, dried marjoram to the pot, then a splash of a white Bordeaux that we didn’t like to cool things down a bit (a great remedy for many occasions).

Added the snossidge nugz back in, 2 more cups of that lame white, 3 cups o’ water and an appropriate amount of BTB chicken, a handful of halved baby yellow potatoes, and TPSTOK(ale). Great Northern beans, fresh parsley & finally a generous amount of cream will join the party a little later.

Casa Lingua already smells fantastic & I’m really looking forward to dinner :smiling_face: Off to finally finish a book I started in HI if I can sit down for long.

12 Likes

You hit the jackpot - that all looks delectable!

1 Like

I have looked over and over for the past hour or so and cannot locate a post I am sure I saw. I am finally giving up on locating that post.

Someone posted that they made a pear cranberry sauce. I sure would love to have the recipe for that. We love pears and we love cranberries, but I have no idea how to combine them into a great sauce. Sure hoping someone can help me. I think I recall asw in the name, but am not sure about that.

5 Likes

And earplugs? I always have a pair or to dim the din when out.

1 Like

Nov 2020 , poster mq7070?

This?

I think it was @rwcfoodie /Karen who mentioned it in this thread. Maybe she could post the recipe?

2 Likes

Yes, that is it. I was beginning to believe I had dreamed it. Thank you so much.
@mq7070, would you mind sharing your recipe for the pear and cramberry sauce, please.

1 Like

Their last post on HO was on Oct. 5, 2021, so they might not be here anymore.

Thank you, @LindaWhit.
@rwcfoodie, would you please post your recipe for the pear and cranberry sauce. TIA.

2 Likes

Our family is getting together on December 2 to celebrate Thanksgiving. It is the only day all of us could manage to get together.
However, one of my granddaughters decided to cook her very first Thanksgiving meal for herself and her boyfriend. She even spatchcocked the small turkey. She said she was most surprised that the gravy and the green beans were the tastiest of the dishes she made. I am so proud of her. The meal looks lovely to me.

27 Likes

Might this be the recipe you’re looking for with the coffee poached pears? Big Oven’s site says it’s from Food & Wine.

It could be, @LindaWhit. I just saw the mention of it and my mouth started watering. So am hoping to find out. Thank you for your kind help in my search.

1 Like

I will post the pear cranberry sauce recipe later today when we get home. Ive been making this for a gazillion years! Even people who dont like cranberry sauce like this… :yum:

3 Likes

We split a bone in pork chop, started stove top in cast iron, flipped and finished in the oven. Served with acorn squash baked with butter, salt and pepper. And wine. Very nice, perfect cook on the chop.
No pictures worthy of posting.
Back to work tomorrow… :unamused:

12 Likes

Tonight’s dinner, and tomorrow’s dinner (:joy:), from Congee Chan in London, Ontario

18 Likes

Way to make me hungry!

(So relieved I’m coincidentally also having Chinese in a bit or I’d be craving your dinner no matter what or how much I ate tonight :joy:)

5 Likes

Practice went smashingly, thanks to the incredibly talented, gracious & kind drummer we get to ‘borrow’ on occasion, and I’m really excited to play a bunch of new tunes Thursday :slight_smile:

The stew came out really well - creamy potatoes, tender beans, hearty kale…my only complaint would be that TJ’s hot Italian sausages are much hotter than Aldi’s, but this dish doesn’t require crazy heat anyway. Good to know for future reference.

My keyboarder went home with two large containers and a smaller one plus a dessert platter gathered from leftover Turkey Day Treatz - and there was enough for a hearty meal for the two of us tonight plus leftovers.

17 Likes

Great minds :joy:

Haha, but can’t claim credit — friend’s kid is going back to college tomorrow and that’s what he picked as his “last meal” :joy: (I’m fully supportive of his choice, clearly!)

3 Likes