What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

You made non-sprouted usal, very valid!

1 Like

I am redeemed!

1 Like

Hong Kong style baked pork chop rice, mostly following a recipe from A Very Chinese Cookbook: 100 Recipes from China and Not China (But Still Really Chinese) by Kevin Pang and Jeffrey Pang. I air fried the pork chop instead of deep frying it.

19 Likes

How do you like the book overall?

I just got it a few days ago and this is the first recipe I’ve made from it, and it turned out pretty well. So far so good! I do enjoy their youtube videos.

2 Likes

December COTM nominations are underway if anyone is interested in cooking along from the same book:

November and October threads are still active:

2 Likes

Better dork than dead :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Maybe sprinkle with Badia adobo or seasoned salt, or maybe onion powder, garlic, paprika, and black pepper?

ETA: Old Bay?

1 Like

How did you likeit?

I love bison.

1 Like

I KNOW some people’s postings cause cravings, and another trip to the store tomorrow!

4 Likes

Agree, Lawry’s Seasoned Salt on the onion rings.

(Sorry, @ChristinaM, I replied to your post unintentionally)

1 Like

This stuff is totally underrated.

Used properly and judiciously it can make even styrofoam taste good.

1 Like

I feel this way about TJ’s umami powder. Except for its red pepper flake.

@ChristinaM and @Phoenikia thanks for the suggestions, but the batter is so dry I couldn’t get salt or cajun seasoning to stick. I could try frying them next time and then season or maybe season before I bake.

Not exactly sure what I’m making but most likely some type of soup. Before selling our house and moving, I had cleared the freezers of all saved chicken bones and made a bunch of stock. The freezer compartment in the condo is pretty small and loaded to the gills.

6 Likes

Make sure to salt them well when they come out of the oven. But a dip is probably the way to go. 1:1 ketchup and mayo or sour cream and then black pepper and prepared horseradish to taste.

BBQ sauce as a dip is also not the worst idea here.

3 Likes

I would just sprinkle to season while hot out of oven or frier, like one would with fries.

I suppose another option would be to dip in or drizzle with aioli if that’s up your alley. Onion Rings Bravas?

Last night’s “Halftime” dinner was a “throw together” meal. Bacon was on sale this week, so I fried and chopped up a pound of bacon (prior to the game). I served up a Bacon & Pea pasta with olive oil and Parmesan cheese. Sunshine told me it was really good, I told her “Bacon on anything is good”.

20 Likes

The combo of salty bacon (or pancetta, or ham) and sweet peas is such a winner with pasta, and orecchiette are my favorite shape for this dish. I also often add a touch of cream to the sauce & fresh oregano. Yours looks lovely.

4 Likes