What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

Spaghet! Had a psto basil to use up.

18 Likes

I can relate to the ‘bizarre’ meal times. I found ‘sun up to sun down’ written as operating hours on many food establishments. Rooster hours, especially on Kauai.

2 Likes

Thursday the 16th through Sunday the 26th! My company gives us the day after T’giving off as well, so it’s a nice long stretch. I’ll log on to clean up emails occasionally so I’m not dealing with that upon my return, but I’m hoping to get lots of little things done at home, as well as buy a new dishwasher and stove/oven (although I doubt they’ll be able to be installed while I’m on vacation). Will see how much I accomplish. :grin:

16 Likes

Chicken and sausage gumbo with Cajun potato salad

24 Likes

Last night I made this easy eggplant dish from Spain on a Fork YouTube channel. I used frozen slices of eggplant that I’d stored earlier in the season and I used the last of some beef broth which in hindsight lent the dish an unattractive brownish hue. But it tasted good. I just ate the leftovers for breakfast.

15 Likes

I made a tuna stuffed Eggplant inspired by the Akis Petrezikis recipe in this thread GREEK - Summer 2021 (Jul-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter , but I topped it with a gruyere bechamel instead of straight gruyere.

I also topped some roasted eggplant and tomatoes with gruyere bechamel.

Used up some celery in wine and butter braised celery. No recipe. Lol.

18 Likes

Cheeseburgers last night. Swiss for me, white American for BF. I had caramelized onions with a dash of Worcestershire on mine, he went with raw. Both had tomato. Fries and a leftover few frozen onion rings done in the air-fryer. No pics.

21 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

Make sure you put ample relaxing time on your list. It’s very important!!! :grinning: :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Bison, it’s what’s for dinner.

14 Likes

BISO chicken breast marinated for 6 hours in olive oil, minced fresh parsley, rosemary, thyme, and oregano, s/p, minced garlic, and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice. Needed even MORE lemon juice.

Roasted in a 400° oven for about 40 minutes, spooning some of the marinade over top several times.

Near East Rice Pilaf and steamed asparagus alongside.

Wine.

24 Likes

After traveling overnight we opted for an easy meal: a pizza rec from the Aldi thread, Mama Cozzi’s 3-cheese tavern-style. I should’ve known better after having tried a Mama Cozzi’s brand pizza before.

The crust never crisped up properly & tasted like cardboard, but there were ample amounts of cheese. Murrkah! :smiley:

I added sautéed shrooms, green pepper & red onion. And lotsa El Yucateco for dipping helped it go down, but that crust could not be saved. Oh, well.

13 Likes

Leftover grilled salmon from last night turned into a type of tuna noodle casserole. Think I prefer jarred tuna. Leftover spinach and cheese stuffed mushrooms from last night too. And some garlic cheese bread.

15 Likes

I made (fancy farm) pork chops for the first time in my life for Spring Onion. Glazed with soy sauce/ketchup/a touch of BBQ sauce/minced garlic. Oven roasted for 30 minutes at 350F. I think they were over cooked. SO declared that they were “just ok.” Kid, I’m trying my best to learn how to cook meat for you. I added pearl couscous and apple slices to cut through the fat.

IMG_5119

IMG_5122

Local kale salad with leftover salmon for B and a local mushroom/chickpea/gorgeous local Swiss chard/lemon pasta/crushed red pepper for us. I obviously cannot cook for 2. More like 6.

IMG_5123

IMG_5124

21 Likes

For my weekly fish share, delicious yellowfin tuna in red wine sauce, great recipe from the NYT food site, the tuna has a coating of crushed peppercorn, coiander seed, fennel and garlic, and is cooked rare-ish. I simplified the wine sauce by cooking it in the frying pan after the fish and reducing the chicken broth quantity - not so much was needed. Served with brown rice and steamed spinach - and red wine. Targetted 95 degrees for cooking temperature.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015333-tuna-au-poivre-with-red-wine-sauce?action=click&module=Global%20Search%20Recipe%20Card&pgType=search&rank=29

20 Likes

Run of the mill soup + salad trio at La Madeleine. My book club met there. Location and large table availability is why we meet there, not because of the food. Great conversation, nice walk home with my new light vest (dork alert, according to my son).

10 Likes

A repeat of the cheesy mac with greens and sausage. The original recipe calls for kale, which is good, but we both liked it even better with spinach, as shown here.

26 Likes

Takeout Borscht, Bouillon with Pelmeni and Khinkali from Moldova Restaurant in Toronto

19 Likes

Burger, onion rings, dill pickles and olives. Manhattan and wine. I think some people’s posts caused a craving. Burger was great, toasted French sandwich roll, mayo, butter lettuce, grape tomato, onion, spicy Red Duck ketchup relish (I didn’t have any slicing tomatoes), wagu patty,Tillmook and Kerrygold cheddar, whole grain mustard. McCain craft beer batter onion rings, not so much. Batter had no flavor, no idea how to improve the rest. Dip? Any ideas?

22 Likes

Want!

1 Like