What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

I’d had been braising Osso Buco very slowly today, at 200 ⁰F. Internal temp was around 145 and I wanted to cook it slowing until it reached 180ish so the meat would be tender and the cartilage and whatnot would melt into the sauce.

I decided to turn the oven down to 175 ⁰F while I went out to get a booster.

I got back 90 minutes later, and it was a pretty much the same temp it had been when I left, which meant I had to turn up the heat higher than I’d like to get it to the right temp. Lol. Live and learn.

The parsnip gratin and mamaliga aren’t too pretty tonight. Lol. No photo.

17 Likes

And if you can’t make it to the restaurant, there is always their new cookbook.

My decidedly fabulous library already has it on order.

2 Likes

Mediocre tacos from the taco truck across from our hotel, following the glowing praises of our Lyft driver. So much for getting dining advice from cabbies/locals bahahaha.

Ended up hanging at the very good hotel bar (cuz it’s not technically a hotel bar) Pint n Jigger with a scotch selection that’ll make any scotch lover swoon, a very good cocktail menu and 19 draft beers, most of which are, unfortunately, IPAs & pale ales :nauseated_face:

I had to get the “The Floor is Guava” for the name alone, but it was also a fantastic rendition of a crisp sour. We shared the seafood cakes with tobiko vinaigrette and caper sauce. Very, very good.

A “Catch Her in the Rye” was a lovely twist on a whiskey sour, the martini with a new-to-me Japanese gin was just so-so - the gin tasted far more interesting neat.

18 Likes

Tonight eggplant with ginger garlic sauce w/ jasmine rice, also roasted honeynut squash with harissa and olive oil

21 Likes

Pork ribs baked at 300* for 1 1/2 hours then finished off on the charcoal grill with bbq sauce. We’re usually over run with bottles of bbq sauce but there was only about a half inch left in one so it had to do. After 5 o’clock so too late to to go to the town(cough cough). Coleslaw with apple, raisins, mayo, celery salt, vinegar. Canned ranch jalapeño style beans. Thaw, rise and bake frozen Rhodes yeast rolls. With butter.

20 Likes

Gai See Chow Mein from Woks of Life (October COTM).

I used spaghetti noodles and bok choy. Served with homemade chili crisp.

It was yum - will make again.

26 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a vegetarian curry. No picture this time since today’s episode of Coronation Street reached a crescendo so no photo to post.

9 Likes

Our second dinner in Honolulu, Eleven. We were happy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I PVR Corrie to watch with dinner :sweat_smile:

Tonkotsu black ramen and zangi(deep fried chicken thigh) from the new ramen joint in the nabe.
Delicious, will be back

23 Likes

That all looks great!

1 Like

Squid stir fried with pickled mustard greens and bok choy, with jasmine rice. Delicious!

25 Likes

You may have inspired a ramen dinner here, although the weather decidedly does not scream “ramen.”

2 Likes

Pork and sage lasagna from Faenza. A new to me Pasta Grannies recipe. Homemade spinach pasta sheets, a pork and pancetta ragu, bechamel and a good sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano meld together for a hearty and satisfying lasagna. The only change I made was to cut the amount of pancetta called for in half as there was a discrepancy between the youtube channel and the recipe book, so I split the difference. It was very good today and will probably be even better tomorrow. Will make again.

28 Likes

It was a perfect evening for ramen

1 Like

Really tasty and a great addition to the neighborhood :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Roasted pork tenderloin with cranberry sauce, roasted yams, peppers and onions. Butter lettuce, Asian pear, celery, blue cheese, pistachio salad, honey mustard dressing. Maple old fashioned, wine.

20 Likes

That looks fantastic!

Wagyu burgers on the grill (special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions). On the side, Torres Jamon Iberico chips.

22 Likes

Update: the “Smokey Martini” is DIVINE with Glenfiddich 12. Just a dash or two. Not exactly smokey, but so smooth and delightful. Glad I gave it another shot with a different Scotch.

6 Likes