What's for Dinner #100 - The WFD Big 100th Edition - November 2023

:partying_face:

7 Likes

Congratulations!!

2 Likes

Mahalo! A few days in Honolulu for a conference, followed by a few more on the North Shore :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Woot!

2 Likes

And it’s two months exactly since I sent out my first job app. It’s been a roller coaster but we are resilient!

8 Likes

One click away from ordering in Turkish or ramen (haha), I decided I wanted something simple and homemade instead.

So I made dal (boiled with broccoli slaw and aromatics, then pureed and tempered with more aromatics), rice, and fish en papillote with chutney. I really should have added coconut to the chutney to absorb the liquid, but it still tasted good even though it released some liquid.

Always funny to me when I crave dal and rice as a comfort meal, because I abhorred dal as a kid!

20 Likes

Bo Kho-Style Mushroom and White Bean Stew from Andrea Nguyen with mushrooms, carrots, cannellini beans, crushed tomatoes, dried shiitake, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, Chinese five spice, star anise, bay leaf, fish sauce, Maggi and Thai basil

19 Likes

Congratulations!

3 Likes

I hated cooked spinach when I was a kid no thanks to my mom who used to boil the life out of it so it developed a bitter taste and slimy texture. For some reason it never occurred to me to try eating it raw. A few months after my mom died my sisters and I made a day trip to Montreal to visit dad and to take him out for lunch. When I ordered a salad of mixed greens the table fell silent and one of the sisters pointed out “there is spinach in that!”. I told her I didn’t care I wanted to try it anyway. That was the day I discovered that raw spinach tastes good. I still don’t like cooked spinach though.

5 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was coconut braised basa fillet with bok choy.

14 Likes

Maybe the extra ñ :wink:

I love sautéed spinach when it’s bright green & garlicky, but just beyond the raw stage that tends to set my teeth on edge. Much as I’d love to like raw spinach salad I can’t deal with the furry teeth :confused:

2 Likes

Looking good! Both the dinner and the job offers. :grin:

2 Likes

Congrats on the job offers. Choice is good.

3 Likes

Just the two of us last night so easy roasted tomato/poblano soup and toast + smoked salmon for me, grilled cheese for spouse

23 Likes

I used Mark Bittman’s recipe and stirred it with a whisk, because I like failing, I guess. And it’s not like I don’t have an immersion blender.

Starting with mayo is a much better idea.

imageimage

8 Likes

This is my go to recipe when starting with mayo (which is usually).

3 Likes

Thanks! I think I’ll probably just add some mayo to my leftover watery-ass dressing.

How did you like the brussels sprout recipe?