What's for Dinner? #1, the Inaugural Edition- through 10/17/2015

Quite simple tonight. Salmon baked in foil with lemon zset, olive oil salt and pepper. Potatoes, brocolli and green beans with a knob of butter.

Last night was clean-out-the-fridge sort of fried rice: Bhutanese red rice, radishes, peas, tofu, and egg. (Pardon the not-so-in-focus picture.)

6 Likes

No, not at all. I just don’t post there very often anymore. But hello! :smile:

1 Like

Macaroni cheese, with courgettes, onion, garlic & bacon. A 1985 Delia Smith recipe.

And, as it’s now 30 years on from when we started eating this dish, you can conclude we like it.

6 Likes

That’s a lot of leftovers :smiley:

1 Like

Last night I made a very yummy dinner of pork chop and kale, sided by white bean gratin. The pork chop and kale recipe was posted by Westminstress last week on another WFD and she got it here. http://www.dinneralovestory.com/pork-chops-with-kale/ It is absurdly simple and absurdly easy and it was so good (I had amazing heritage pork chops) it took everything I had not to eat the second portion but to save it for tonight (why I rarely make two portions of anything as my self-control is sadly lacking). The white bean gratin used a wonderful slightly overripe garden tomato given to me by a very kind co-worker (in perfect condition when gifted but sat a day too long), some Italian butter beans I had cooked from dry and had in the freezer, some sautéed onion and a couple sprigs of thyme topped with some panko.

4 Likes

Do you add any ginger, green onion, etc? Thanks!

Hello back at ya!

Dinner tonight is turkey meatballs with mole sauce (from the freezer) and the last of the black bean/poblano/red bell pepper/corn/onion/garlic dish. The bean dish tastes so fresh and bright! Probably will serve it over rice. Have some tomatoes which need using…we’ll see if I get inspired to do more than slice them!

Today is day 5 of grey constant drizzle. Seems to finally be lifting! The cloud cover kept most of the lunar eclipse from being visible. :disappointed_relieved:

I have a stupid cold and so don’t really care WFD. Thankfully, there’s an unopened box of TJ’s creamy organic tomato soup in the pantry that looks just the ticket. Might add some heat to clear out those sinuses.

Lame.

Just found a roasted vegetable lasagna I’d made over the summer, lurking in the back of the freezer. So that, a green salad, and garlic bread. Simple, tasty, and plenty of leftovers.

1 Like

Did my happy dance at the local market today when I discovered that they now carry D’Artagnan free-range chicken, so that had to be dinner tonight. Pan-roasted bone-in breast, a Provencal-ish herbed vegetable medley (braised fennel & green beans, slow-roasted zucchini, blistered baby tomatoes, black olives), whipped cauliflower, and a shallot pan jus. Love getting that crispy rendered skin, hate what a mess it makes all over the cooktop!

6 Likes

Dinner tonight was a tomato, basil and tortilla soup made with the last (?) of the summer tomatoes, topped with a lime and sour cream mixture. I must admit I wasn’t expecting much from this quick and easy recipe, but it was surprisingly flavorful. Definitely will be repeated next summer. From the Mustards cookbook.

2 Likes

Tonight when I opened the fridge I was faced with a generous ziplock bag of not-so- great leftover fried rice from Chinese take out. You know the kind… “fried rice” made in a rice cooker by throwing in some soy sauce, a tablespoon of peanut oil, and a handful of diced frozen carrots and peas? So I heated up a cast iron skillet and sauteed some thinly sliced onion in peanut oil, then cranked up the heat and lightly scorched a half can of well drained bean sprouts, then some Kikkoman, a touch of rice wine and a hint of sesame oil, then added in and crisped the take-out fried rice. Oh, and one chicken tonkatsu cut bite sized. Deeee-licious!

Curiously, the fried rice came with an order of pork egg fu yong that the take out menu promised was made with bean sprouts as a main ingredient. Not one single beansprout in a carload! Guess who will never be ordering there again! For me, beansprouts are a quintessential ingredient in many Asian dishes, and I LOVE 'em! Anybody else love them too?

1 Like

I’ve had problems when I stray from my usual long grain rice. When I stay loyal it comes out perfect every time. When I dabble with a new infatuation things can turn horribly wrong.

I have a stupid cold, too, and a serious bout of self pity struck as I stood in line with a whole chicken, dill and the celery I needed to make my own Jewish penicilin. Turned out that a 45 minute soup cycle in the InstantPot with veggies and tons of herbs was perfect to make the collagen all melt and the bones and meat to separate completely. I rinsed the chicken first, and removed all but the wing, leg and thigh skin before cooking; gives me the perfect amount of fat every time.

I also sliced up the brisket I’d made the night before and cooked the slices in the reduced jus and browned mushrooms for complete flavor saturation of all the meat. The reviews were outstanding, as usual, honorable mention to Tyler Florence for his Brisket with creamy mushrooms minus the cream step, and added the slicing to suffuse all the meat with flavor.

2 Likes

Last of summer’s Many Treasures Pasta:

Diced toms
Chopped green onions
Grated mozzarella
Torn basil
Garlic
Szechuan pepper
Olive oil
Soy sauce (about a third more oil than soy)

All tossed together and served over hot pasta. Top with grated Pam.

Crazy, mixed-up dish, but absolutely wonderful

6 Likes

I used to make something like this, but mixed into ricotta cheese, then mixed into the hot pasta. Mmm

Brown sugar pork chops and salt lick baked badadas with broccoli. I don’t make this all the time, but it’s an easy meal I’ve been making on and off over the past year and really love. I season the pork chops with whatever Penzey’s blend strikes my fancy (Barbecue of the Americas, BBQ 3000) and salt, then coat with light brown sugar.

Here’s an old photo from when it wasn’t really feeling like summer:

2 Likes

Caroline1, thank you so much. This is awesome! I agree about the serving temperature, it makes an incredible difference.