What's for Dinner? #1, the Inaugural Edition- through 10/17/2015

That looks amazing. Is the recipe online?

Wow! Those colors pop.

1 Like

My attempt at peanut noodles last night was (yet another) utter failure. This time, I tried the “Thug Kitchen” version and once again, it came out a glue-y mess. This always happens to me even though I follow recipes to a T. I’ve tried many different versions from reliable sources so I know that it’s me. So sad since it’s a dish that I love. I’ve tried with both peanut butter and tahini and both have been miserable. The “TK” version with tempeh (I topped B’s with grilled wild Coho salmon) sounded right up my alley, although I punched up the sambal olek and garlic. I used soba noodles that were rinsed well before saucing.

No-go. Glue for dinner last night. And we have a huge pot so we’ll be eating glue again tonight. B’s a trouper. He said he was happy with it. Any words of advice for me?

Thank you Cindy!

Hmmm. I was just about to ask whether you rinsed the noodles, but then read that you did.

I find in general that it’s not a dish that sits around well, i.e. you need to eat it pretty promptly before it gets gluey or sticky.

Here’s a recipe I use, maybe give that a shot?

1 lb angel hair pasta, rinse w/cold water and drain

The sauce contains the following ingredients: peanut butter, rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, chili sauce, maggi sauce, garlic, green onion, brewed green tea.

5 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter
4 tablespoons of rice vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of maggi sauce
1 tablespoon of sambal oelek)
5 cloves of finely chopped garlic
3 stalks of chopped green onion
1 small cup of green tea (not the leaves!)
cilantro

Simply mix everything really well and pour over the noodles. Mix the noodles with the sauce thoroughly. Right before you serve, sprinkle some cilantro over the dish.

2 Likes

Sounds like either your noodles were still warm or the sauce was too thick…or both? Rinsing the noodles isn’t enough, they have to be cool (preferably chilled) before you add the sauce. For the sauce, try using a 2:1 ratio of watery ingredients (soy sauce, vinegar, water, etc.) to PB/tahini.

3 Likes

Here is the old recipe tried and true for me for years. I love peanut noodles!
1/4 cup creamy PB or sesame butter
4 tsp. brewed tea
1 T + 2 tsp. soy sauce
1 T chili oil
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. wine vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 scallion, chopped
1 large carrot, julienned (I prefer julienned cucumber)

3 Likes

Got out of work at a reasonable time, and decided to use a birthday coupon from my local butcher. One of the items I got was a honkin’ big bone-in pork chop. Seasoned with salt, pepper, orange zest and dried thyme, it was seared in a combo of butter and oil, and then some orange juice and homemade chicken stock was added and brought to a boil to reduce a bit. Into the oven to finish cooking.

Basmati rice and peas with parsley and Aleppo pepper alongside. Not too bad for an off-the-cuff meal.

6 Likes

Tuna tacos tonight. Last minute meal planning and clean out the fridge exercise. An unused tomatillo, sweet peppers and a jalapeño got used up with some lettuce. The block of tuna cut from a larger loin was seasoned with S/P and ground ancho chili and seared. Siracha mayo as a topping. The tuna was a bit over cooked. The pan was ripping hot. Thanks for looking

7 Likes

I don’t even like cooked tuna (raw all the way, please don’t sear for this kat), but that looks fab. I also have a soft spot for lettuce like that. Reminds me of great Italian deli. :wink:

1 Like

Arroz con Pollo y Chorizo (Chicken & Chorizo Paella)
-Adapted from “Cook Simple” by Diana Henry

6 Likes

That face! Just melts your heart.

1 Like

My world changed a bit this week. My jeweler friend was left in a bind when the new employee decided the job wasn’t a good fit. With the holiday season looming she really doesn’t have time to search, hire, train and get another new person up to speed. So I’ll be helping several days a week for the next few months. I’ll also overnight at her place to cut down on all the driving between our towns. We’ve always been good food partners so this will be fun!

She has a new kitchen that she absolutely hates. It doesn’t particularly bother me so I’ll probably do most of the prep and indoor cooking. She’s better on the grill. This week dinners were rather random based on what we each had that needed to be used. Next week will be better planned.

Tonight we had Costco stuffed peppers from her recent shopping trip. I brought tomatoes (sliced with a nice balsamic) and half an enormous kabocha squash from my fridge. The squash half was painted with o.o. and sprinkled Penzeys Creamy Peppercorn seasoning. Popped the peppers & squash in the oven and headed towards the lake and sunset with a bottle of wine. We discussed the looming lack of greens with our dinner. Sipped our wine. Contemplated this deficiency. Agreed we were both to tired to drive back into town. Then I pointed out that the wine bottle was green…we decided that would nicely solve the problem of the needed green.

A container of chocolate covered caramels with sea salt somehow followed her home from Costco. I had half a pan of bread pudding from my kitchen. So I chopped up a few of the candies and sprinkled them over the pudding. Put it in a slow oven for a bit. The chocolate melted, the caramel softened, the salt kept it’s crunch and it ended up being really good. Next bread pudding I’ll play with this idea a bit more!

5 Likes

sorry to mass-post, but here are a few dinners from this week:

tonight were my pork dumplings, made a couple months ago, frozen raw, and defrosted and steamed tonight. also tonight was the pic with all the side dishes - kimchis, quick pickled things, korean pancake, fried tofu, etc. most of this was was the BF’s cooking, except for the dumplings.

pork chop “fingers”, from leftovers, with veggies (the BF actually de-breaded a pork chop we had leftover from a restaurant, re-breaded, and refried for maximum crispiness.) other cobbled together leftovers - the BF’s aji de gallina, eggplant parmigiana, under a giant leftover meatball & meat sauce (the latter two butcher shop purchases).

looks i didn’t do much cooking this week! i shall do better next!

8 Likes

awesome, meatn3, all of it. congrats on the new gig.

that looks/sounds fab. had to google huauzontle - interesting! i don’t think i’ve seen it at any of my local mexi-marts…

Tamarind Shrimp w/ Shirataki noodles (from my continuing obsession w/ Hot Thai Kitchen)

6 Likes

My favorite Peanut Sauce is in Deborah Madison’s book, The Savory Way. What an extraordinarily savory dish this makes. I’ve made it hot, cold , and with Asian noodles and Italian pasta. I love every last morsel and so does everyone who has eaten it:

Cold Noodles with Peanut Sauce, Deborah Madison “The Savory Way” (paraphrased):
salt
1 pound Chinese egg noodles or linguine
2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil or dark sesame oil
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
6 scallions, thinly sliced
1 half-pound package firm tofu, cut into small cubes
Peanut Sauce
chopped roasted peanuts or toasted black sesame seeds
fresh cilantro for garnish

Bring a large pot of water to boil for noodles. When water boils, add salt to taste & the noodles. Cook til noodles are done, 3-5 min. Immediately drain into a colander, rinse with cold water to stop cooking, shake off excess water. To have warm noodles, shake off excess water Don’t rinse.

Toss noodles with oil , cilantro, scallions, and tofu. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use; then toss with Peanut Sauce. Garnish with roasted peanuts or sesame seeds and fresh cilantro sprigs.

PEANUT SAUCE:
6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large bunch of cilantro, leaves and upper stems only, finely chopped
1 piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot chili oil
1/2 cup peanut butter or sesame-peanut butter
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
2-3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, to taste

Mix garlic, cilantro, ginger in a bowl with the oils, peanut butter, soy sauce, and sugar til well combined (Or use food processor, which I do). Add the vinegar and season to taste with additional soy sauce if nec. The sauce can be thinned with hot water if it comes out thicker than you like. This sauce can be kept for months if stored in an airtight jar and refrigerated. If refrigerated thin it with hot water as needed before using.

Note:

• If youhave stored extra sauce it can be spread on grilled tofu, with grilled eggplant, or as a dipping sauce for tofu, or fresh cucumber and/or carrots, or other like vegetables.
2 Likes

Thanks and looks good. I don’t cook by recipes much but this sauce has a lot of the same ingredients I use.

1 Like

Hi all, What’s for Dinner 2nd Edition is here: