What's for Dinner? #1, the Inaugural Edition- through 10/17/2015

I’m dining out tonight but WFD tomorrow will involve dried and smoked Arizona key limes (gifted from a chef I recently interviewed). I’m thinking mixing with olive oil and finishing scallops or maybe grilled lobster tails but would love some ideas from you talented folks! How would you use this? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Rubee! First off, hello! Haven’t seen you in quite some time.

Second, how “limey” and “smoky” is this mix? I’m thinking it would work in an oil/salt/pepper blend for grilled chicken or pork tenderloin, or maybe mixed into some rice with some minced green onions. Or maybe cooked lentils or lentil soup?

2 Likes

WFD: Stir-Fried Salmon with Wine Sauce. Authentically we’d be using Chinese rice wine but a few years ago we stopped because of all the additives and salt that’s in market rice wine, instead we use Jim Beam or a good sherry. Tonight it will be sherry. Slices of salmon will marinate in garlic, peanut oil, wine, sesame oil, pepper, and egg white just for a few minutes. The salmon briefly cooks in a wok with a little broth.

Str-Fried Baby Bok Choy. A simple stir-fry of little bok choys in peanut oil with garlic, ginger, soy and oyster sauces.

Steamed Jasmine Rice.

4 Likes

Hi all! My inaugural post in this new forum - nice to see so many familiar names :slight_smile: Tonight’s dinner was seared ahi (rubbed with ground chiles & smoked salt), roasted rainbow beets & carrots, shaved green beans, enoki mushrooms, and balsamic syrup.

8 Likes

Do you know how hard it is to mix a meat loaf mix with one hand? Yeah, it’s not easy.

Very late dinner tonight due to the unexpected medical appts. and then my insistence on apple picking today, considering I expect to have to deal with more medical appts. tomorrow. (Better not be during the Pats/Jacksonville game!)

Ground beef, ground pork, an egg, caramelized onions and garlic, fresh breadcrumbs, some Penzeys Old World seasoning, and dried parsley were all mixed together (one-handed) and free-formed in a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Baked at 350°F for about an hour.

Baby potatoes were boiled, broccoli was steamed, and wine was poured. A quick gravy, and it was dinner.

2 Likes

What happened to your hand?

Exactly! Linda, WHY are you mixing meatloaf with one hand? And here’s hoping you’ll be using two very soon!

Today I made moussaka for dinner. Actually I made two. One will be a test of UPS. It’s in the freezer until Monday, when it will be carefully packed in dry ice and shipped off to my daughter in El Paso as a surprise. About a week ago I casually asked her which, of all the things I cooked when she was growing up, is the first favorite that comes to mind. Without hesitation she said, “Moussaka!” So her birthday is coming up, and what do you give a kid who already has everything she wants? Three guesses! I hope it arrives in recognizable AND edible condition. We’ll see.

6 Likes

I never participated in the WFD threads on Chowhound, but thought I might participate here until I read through these posts and became totally intimidated. Wow. You folks are some impressive home cooks! I’ll continue to lurk, though, and hopefully learn. Thanks for posting about your efforts.

2 Likes

Fermy, please on’t be intimidated. The more, the merrier!

3 Likes

No need to be intimidated. Well, I can understand why. Sometime we
post really awesome things, but feel free to post anything. Last night I
didn’t cook anything. I didn’t get home until 9:30 PM, so I ate my
take-out. A Chinese liang-pi. Ok, I actually ate mine, but I bought
another order for my friend, so this is the other one.

The real Liang-pi (a noodle) is kind of hidden there. It is shown in between the bean sprout and the cucumber.

How come my “reply to someone” posts do not always come out as intended. Sometime. They reply to the intended person, but sometime they just come out as general comments.

1 Like

Literally a feast for the eyes. too! So glad to see your post here.

What a great care package! Moussaka was one of the favourites that my mother made as well. Lucky girl.

I’ve only made it once myself once. I did a mash up from a bunch of different recipes and was pleased with the result but think it could stand some improvement. Care to share your recipe?

Chemicalkinetics, I’m noticing the same thing. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong.

Ferny, last night I made inadvertently-scrambled-eggs (was intending to make an omelet, but I lack the fine motor skills to properly wield a #spatula) on rice. Better yet, the rice was a prepackaged frozen blend from Trader Joes. Then I felt guilty about the lack of “greens” and had lime sherbet :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Please post! I’ve been an extremely sporadic poster to WFD. I cook for one and often end up eating variations of the same thing for days in a row. I’m always impressed at the energy and planning skills many of the posters have. I was afraid my reports would be worse than watching paint dry.

But recycling leftovers may be a trick that helps give someone else ideas! And posting does help motivate me to make the meal healthier sometimes. :wink: Once I just couldn’t bring myself to admit that I had filled up nibbling all the crispy skin from a roasted chicken…so I made a small salad and held my head high!

5 Likes

I cut off part of my left forefinger’s nail last Friday evening while shredding lettuce.

Hey, I made meatloaf and potatoes last night - that’s not fancy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dinner last night was at the bar at our regular-haunt Chinese
restaurant - Green Tea. We had hot and sour soup, salt and pepper
shrimp and peking ravioli. Along with the house special mai tais that
they begin preparing as soon as they see us stroll in! :wink:

Tonight? Probably leftovers - my husband is off fishing. I don’t
expect him to catch any, so if he does it’ll be a wonderful surprise!

3 Likes

Ouch! My mandolin gets me almost every time.