What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

That sounds great. I have still yet to have a fried turkey. My friend made a turducken instead, which is a first for me as well. It was very moist.

1 Like

Born and raised in Barcelona.

When I first moved here from New Orleans in 2006, it was right before Thanksgiving and my now wife and I were hosting Today dinner for her family.
I did a turducken, but we also had to do a regular turkey.
My family doesn’t have mashed potatoes with a meal, it’s always rice, so when I put the rice on the table my future father in law asked what the rice was for, lol. We did have mashed potatoes as well, a few people tried the turducken but I had leftovers for days.
No one but me touched my grandmother’s oyster dressing.

1 Like

Mrs. P is also from New Orleans. She made a delicious version of Mr. B’s BBQ creole shrimp for Thanksgiving.

1 Like

Mrs. P made smoked salmon penne :yum:

4 Likes

Well, I certainly would have eaten your grandmother’s oyster dressing in a heartbeat. That brought back delicious memories. What’s wrong with people anyways.:slightly_smiling_face:

While I rarely comment or contribute to the “what’s cooking” boards I do lurk and I know your wife has some chops when it comes to cooking, but holy cow does this look fantastic. Funny thing with salmon and me, I love it raw lox, sushi etc. but cooked I can’t stand it. This though just looks f’n delicious I would have to give it a try, let me ask you I see red onion but is there prosciutto in this too? Hat tip to Mrs P. !!!

1 Like

Thanks @NotJrvedivici! I am honored :slightly_smiling_face:
Mrs. P does not usually like salmon unless it is smoked. We love the smoked Faroe Islands salmon from Sams’ Butcher shop (link below). He brine cures the salmon and hot smokes it with cherry wood. It has a great smoky smell and flavor but it is not overpowering.
Mrs. P adds sauteed red onions, capers, olives, fresh garlic, olive oil, fresh parsley (and or fresh basil), and some leftover pasta water. We top it off with fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano. There is no prosciutto added. I guess you can add it but the smoked salmon is enough I think.
The smoked salmon also goes great on a bagel with cream cheese.

Brother from another mother! I love lox, but that’s the only way I eat salmon.

1 Like

@CurlzNJ, Did you misspell it on purpose? And, by the way, there is a big difference between lox and smoked salmon. So, is it the former you like rather than the latter?

Excellent, I guess I mistook a piece of the red onion or shredded salmon as prosciutto.

I couldn’t help but notice:
Mrs. P adds sauteed red onions, capers, olives, fresh garlic, olive oil, fresh parsley (and or fresh basil), and some leftover pasta water. We top it off with fresh

That made me chuckle as it reminds me of an anecdote my father uses:

We killed a bear, poppa shot it!

1 Like

Yes, Mrs. P always gets me on the WE :smiley: I always say we should make this or try this and she always goes 'what do you mean ‘we’? You mean me :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

A batch of chicken liver mousse for a friend for his bday, and I made my usual pot of jambalaya before watching LSU this afternoon

2 Likes

The definitive mac n cheese. Just the right amount of hot sauce and mustard in the bechamel and the perfect mix of cheeses!

Also slow cooking a rack of bbq ribs, but that will take a while so no pic.

Quick update - The ribs came out great!

10 Likes

That looks rich and tasty!

2 Likes

Chicken thigh and potato on Telera Roll with Huancaina and Super Picante Rocoto.

4 Likes

Sicilian fig cookies - cuccidati A labor of love and tradition for the family. I like them, but wouldn’t mind if somebody else made them :smiley:

20191223_124404%20(1)

8 Likes

OMG. These are the cookies my former landlord made each December… I waited for them every year! Haven’t been able to find one that measures up yet, but those sure look like they would. Enjoy!

2 Likes

lol, now you reminded me I posted these last year.

1 Like

HA! I’m nothing but consistent… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: