What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Soup weather is officially here so my daughter requested some Italian wedding soup. My son came home to watch football with the old man, I think that deserves his request for chicken francese. Everyone is happy! (especially since Dallas just lost)

8 Likes

Nice! That chicken is looking good! Glad to hear you got to have a good day with your children.

That ball off the post was great. I can’t believe the red skins are in first place. Nfc east is a joke. This game tonight should be awesome.

1 Like

After seeing my fantasy football score I can’t even enjoy something as delicious as JRs wonderful food. Plus the best QB in next years desft is supposedly returning to school so Giants will be screwed again by the decision to run back with Eli.

1 Like

Our friend cooked us another spectacular dinner Sunday night, with some outstanding wines that are older then Greg :grinning: I’ll post the official menu when I get it from the Chef in a few days. We had an amazing white pumpkin soup with spiced pumpkin seeds, an incredible scallop dish with the most intensely flavored baby mushrooms, veal tonnato turned into veal Oscar with the addition of a crab leg, awesome garlicky escargot with artichoke hearts, chicken tacos, and some salmon dishes, among other excellent dishes.

5 Likes

Holy cow! What a spread and wine selection!
I’m not sure which dish looks the best, but I will give the pumpkin the creativity award. I’m impressed!

1 Like

Incredible. Don’t know if it makes me happy or sad that I’m in the same age range as some of those wines.

1 Like

Thanks cj. Yes, Our friend is a serious cook and wine collector. He plans on opening a 1978 cab for us next year. The funny thing is he still had the original price tag on the 1982 cab of $11.99 :slightly_smiling_face: The white pumpkin soup wins the creativity award, but we really enjoyed the veal tonnato, the scallop dish, and the escargot dishes, flavor wise.

1 Like

Wow, this friend sounds like an amazing chef and food connoisseur. The veal would definitely be up my alley. Do you happen to know what the pumpkin seeds were spiced with? I think I want to try a rendition of this.

1 Like

Yes, the veal was very tender. I’m not sure what the pumpkin seeds were spiced with but they were very spicy.

Mrs. P made penne with smoked salmon, capers, fresh garlic, olives, sautéed red onions, fresh homegrown basil and parsley, olive oil, topped with smoked peppered cooper cheese. The smoked salmon and cheese were from Sam’s Butcher Shop.

1 Like

Below is the official menu:
Waffles with Caviar & Scallions

Salmon Mousse over Sliced Cucumbers

Salmon Rillettes

White Pumpkin Soup in Mini Pumpkins with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

Sauteed Baby Artichokes with Escargot & Sous Vide Egg

Brown-Butter Sauteed Scallops with baby Shiitake Mushrooms

Hot Chicken Tacos with Shishito Peppers

Veal Oscar Tonnato

Lyonnaise Potatoes

Creamed Spinach

Hot Honey Ice Cream

Espresso Ice Cream

Apple Tart with Fresh Raspberry Sauce & Sugar Glaze

2 Likes

If you ever can’t make it to dinner, I will graciously offer to be a stand in! YUM!

2 Likes

That’s very kind of you Gracie, but I don’t think I would miss one of these dinners, even if I was on my deathbed :grin:

1 Like

I wouldn’t wish that to get an invite! Ha! :grin:

1 Like

I didn’t take a picture of it (DUH), but I made a new favorite on Sunday for 6 of us…a NYT recipe for Harissa Chicken Thighs with Shallots. VERY simple, imo–just took some time because it takes longer to brown the chicken than they say.
I tripled the chicken and doubled all else, including the Harissa–and for that, I went with Whole Foods’ DRY Harissa spice blend–not paste. My other note is to make this a day ahead and let the chicken sit in the braising liquid…then skim the fat off the top. I kid you not–I’ve been using a spoon to get all of the liquid out of the bowl like soup after I finish the chicken. It’s THAT good.

5 Likes

Mrs. P made a hamburger with blue cheese and sautéed onions, and topped with sautéed homegrown jalapeño peppers. We also had air fried shishito, very spicy homegrown red jalapeño , and mixed mini peppers, as well as crispy sweet potato fries😋

3 Likes

Mrs P forgot the roll lol

Looks awesome! Does she ever do any Korean inspired dishes? My friend just have me a bottle of this stuff a few minutes ago so it reminded me that I need some korean food soon

Dave have you tried this by chance?

1 Like

She’s on a diet :grinning:

She hasn’t cooked any Korean dishes but we love gochujang sauce. That combination with sriracha looks really good.

1 Like

The boys of TKE @ Rider University had a proper Sunday Football Dinner. Have meatballs will travel! Cooked a big ole’ pot of Sunday Gravy some fried some chicken cutlets and headed down to Rider to visit my son and his brothers and feed the masses. Fun day.

6 Likes

SO great. Decades later, my brother’s friends still talk about how they’d come to my off-campus house for football and meatballs when we were all at Rutgers…

1 Like