What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Dartagnan has a nice selection including semi-boneless, French jumbo, and quail eggs.

Quail
The next best thing to wild, our quail are raised free-range in spacious, open barns. Our scrupulous farmers create humane conditions for the birds, and never use chemicals or antibiotics. We are proud to offer this very popular game bird, small in size but big in flavor.

If you don’t want delivered you can pick them up at the plant in Union.

Yes, I bought the French and semi-boneless quail from D’artagnan when they had their 30% off freezer sale last month. They were very good. These are completely boneless breasts, and they are from Spain. For what I paid for 2 semi boneless quails at D’artagnan, I was able to get 20 boneless breasts from my Chef source.
Urgasa Quail

1 Like

Yes I saw the address on the package and I live close by. I called them before I wrote to you and the lady, who I believe was on the west coast, told me the Atlantic highlands address was simply a business address and not a warehouse. She told me I could order online. I need to investigate.

Well, the North American Meats site is mainly for wholesale. If you are a home cook they redirect you to their subsidiary site called Marx foods. However, it seems like you have to buy in large quantities. For example, the boneless quail breasts that I bought can only be purchased in 120 piece quantities (or 12 packs of 10) minimum.

Marx Foods

Every year chez RGR, the hot dog season starts on Memorial Day Weekend and ends on Labor Day Weekend. Continuing with that tradition and with the weather forecast in mind, I served our first franks this year on Saturday, May 26th. I always buy Hebrew National kosher franks. Though they come in packages of eight, I prefer to get them at Wegmans because they carry the ones on strings, so I can get exactly the number I need. They didn’t have any regular franks (something about delivery problems), so I bought two “specials.”

"Specials"

This blog post has photos of the whole meal.

My Blog
My Flickr

1 Like

Nice pics like usual. What does the special dog entail? Is that just a house made dog from wegmans? Maybe you can also post this in the NJ hotdog thread :slight_smile:

Also, is there any reason for the vegetarian beans or is it just to cut down on some calories? Just curious. Maybe I’m missing out on something tasty lol

Thanks Eli. I will see what I can come up with. Mailing some quail will probably be easier than driving up to northern NJ :smile:

You’re welcome cj. Good luck! Maybe you can go in with a few HO members down south & split a case of 12 :slightly_smiling_face:

Specials are jewish/kosher deli talk for knockwurst, short plump beef hot dogs.

1 Like

@corvette_johnny, Thanks for the photos compliment! I see @BossaNova has explained what specials are. They are a Hebrew National product.

Re: the vegetarian baked beans. I grew up in a kosher household and after I got married, we kept kosher for 30 years. Therefore, we had to use vegetarian-style beans. It had always been Heinz until at some point, it seemed to me that that Heinz had made some changes to the flavorings which I didn’t like. So I tried Busch’s vegetarian and found its flavor was very much like Heinz’s before the change. In 1997, we decided to stop keeping kosher at home (we’ve never done so when eating out). I then tried canned baked beans with bacon but found I still preferred the vegetarian flavor profile.

@RGR

I was going to post almost the exact same story - except for the part about keeping kosher after I got married. Heinz Vegetarian Beans were the only ones we ate growing up. They are still the only ones my mother eats. Now I mostly make my own as most of them seem to sweet.

1 Like

Thank you @RGR and @BossaNova

I learned something new :slight_smile:

My mom is a huge fan of Hebrew nationals. I’m not on board but they taste ok to me. I think my mom likes them because they are from a “higher standard” and I respect her opinion. Are there any kosher natural casing dogs? (In case you dont know me, my family isn’t Jewish but some of the food entices me) : ) I enjoy reading about some of the good Kosher food and Jewish specialties on here.

Yes. You can usually find them at kosher butchers or kosher delis. That are made with either collagen or (kosher) sheep casings.

Not pretty, and no finished product pictures but I had a leg of lamb taking up freezer space since the Easter sales that had to go. Dodged the rain yesterday and did it on the grill. Low-ish at 225 -275 with a few chunks of hickory for a couple 3 hours until it was 135 and finished on direct heat for a little more color. Just olive oil, s&p, garlic, and oregano. Different levels of doneness from well to rare with all of those different muscles, and the bone in. I’d imagine you would have more control with a boneless roast. First pic is about a half hour in when there was a temp drop in the fire and I needed to goose it a little. Using the kettle grill I use the snake method with the charcoal, I needed a little extra fuel with the wind and outside temps yesterday.

8 Likes

Portuguese night.

Cod baked in a tomato sauce with mussels chorizo & shrimp. Rice pilaf with saffron. Haricots vertes in EVO & lemon.

4 Likes

Nice display of protein! What kind of chorizo did you go with?

Juanitos !!!

But of course.

That’s stuff is awesome.

The kosher brands that are generally available with natural sheep casing in our area are Nathan’s, Sabretts and Hebrew National.

To get the sheep casing dogs you generally need to go to a specialty store or kosher butcher.

Hebrew National is now made at the Armour plant in Quincy, Michigan by Conagra.

Nathan’s are made in the John Morell plant in Chicago, Illinois by Smithfield.

Sabretts are made by in their own plant in the Bronx by Marathon.

Of the three I have had better luck finding the Sabretts in a sheep casing which are sometimes available in regular grocery stores around here.

Also the Nathan’s natural casing are sold at the original Coney Island restaurant.

If you want a glatt kosher dog Abeles & Heymann from Hillside, NJ makes these, but I’ve only seen them skinless.

There are also smaller specialty manufacturers making natural casing dogs (Dietz, Thuman, Boarshead) but most of these aren’t kosher. European Provisions in East Brunswick also makes a great natural casing nonkosher dog.

As far as what you like, that’s a matter of taste. The sheep casing dogs IMO all seem to taste better, but that could be me psyching myself out.

According to the Sabrett website, their hot dogs are “Kosher-style,” not Kosher.

Edited to add: Only one specific Nathan’s hot dog is Kosher. The rest are not.

1 Like