What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

I have a dream…

2 Likes

Tonight, I thought I would surprise Justin with an authentic Puerto Rican feast.

The stuff in the middle: Mofungo. Mashed plantains with ham, garlic, olive oil, and seasonings. There are different versions of this. Most call for mashed fried plantains. However, that pushes the calories per serving to about 900 (and who eats just one serving?) so I boiled the plantains. I can’t say it tasted much different. I made it only one other time, with onions. I chose to omit them this time because they were all we could taste the first time.

The stuff around the outside: Pollo Guisado. Chicken with a tomato base, carrots, potatoes, green olives, cilantro, and myriad spices. The “sauce” aspect dried up more than I wanted during cooking, but man, it popped with flavor.

Not pictured: Arroz con Gandules. Rice with pidgeon peas and ham.

In other words…CARB OVERLOAD!!! I don’t even want to think about the salt.

10 Likes

Pork butt and ribs on smoker today

10 Likes

Just catching up with months of posts, great job everyone! We have not been cooking much, but our daughter came home so we cracked the last of our smuggled guanciale di Norcia and made carbonara.

10 Likes

Carbonara is the best thing in life.

2 Likes

MS. P made an excellent rabbit dish tonight. The details and pictures are on the main ‘what’s for dinner’ thread below.

1 Like

Baked pork chop schnitzel with a Ritz cracker coating, spaetzle, and asparagus. Washed down with some Stella Artois.

Pork chops were from Aldi. 12 in a pack. Small but that just means I could fit more in! Polished off 5 of them!

8 Likes

Falafel Flatbread with Cucumber Salad and Tahini Sauce

10 Likes

DH went food shopping this afternoon and came home with porterhouse steaks, corn and potatoes … the vegetables were already in the house. We can’t be the only ones who grilled outside today :thinking: BTW the corn was fantastic

IMG_6957

12 Likes

Mrs. P made a blackened chicken cutlet. The details and pictures are on the main what’s for dinner link below.

2 Likes

Mrs. P made an awesome quail salad. The mouthwatering pictures and details are in the main what’s for dinner link below.

Mrs. P made a burger for dinner. Below is a link to the details and pictures from the main WFD thread.

Annual last meal to be cooked in the kitchen until September. By request shallot and mushroom meatloaf with mushroom marsala pan gravy … kitchen officially closed for the summer.

First complete meal cooked outside. Cooking on the fire pit over wood is yielding great results. Strip loin, spinach and mushrooms, foil wrapped potatoes. DH is digging French drains, hence the rather relaxed position and filthy appearance.

The joys of home owning

10 Likes

I remember watching a food show on tv where they ate a potato pizza. Since then I’ve been meaning to make one and here it is:

I tried to layer fairly evenly sliced potato before adding the cheese and baking.

A drizzle of homemade truffle oil and eat.

7 Likes

What did you think, I love potato pizza
EDIT: it looks wonderful

1 Like

I’ve made potato pizza before. However, I cooked them in butter and olive oil after slicing them thin through a mandolin. How did yours come out when cooked raw? How long did you bake it?

I’ll be making pizzas tonight. One taco pie for Cinco de Mayo (which I hate and will not eat) and the second pie is still up in the air.

3 Likes

I’ve had a couple times with addition of bacon, always welcome addition

3 Likes

That’s part of the reason potato pizza is great, it works with almost anything

2 Likes

Haven’t shared to this thread in a while. Here’s Chicken Murphy from the other night. Cranked up the heat level. Added some leftover Sunday sauce from a few days prior to loosen it up. It was great. Was just missing some good bread to go with it.

6 Likes

And here’s another one from during the week. Justin has been cooking/baking his way through an Amish/Mennonite cookbook we picked up last month.

Baked “Dutch Style” apple dumplings in syrup (I only contributed the leaves). Served warm with ice cream.

10 Likes