What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

It’s not exactly cooking but I’ve never tried making my own before.

10 Likes

Tyvm for sharing your first time with us all @BossaNova ! They look awesome.

I too have recently tried something new. Up until this week I had never made a fresh peach pie. I found some local peaches at a farmer’s market recently and I decided to dive in. Unfortunately, this was the result.

Fortunately appearances can be deceiving as this is one of the best peach pies I’ve ever eaten. OMG! I didn’t even have enough peaches for the crust. The only rational explanation is that it is all in the fruit.

5 Likes

I think that looks delicious!! Good for you! I don’t make doughs. For anything. You’re brave!

1 Like

Sometimes you have breakfast for dinner, sometimes you have lardon infused coq au vin in July. With a chilled Pinot to wash it down.

12 Likes

Dinner outside tonight, which is out of the ordinary since we usually just drink outside and then come in to eat.

The parmesan-spinach gnocchi was one of the best things I’ve ever made. Rather than explain the process, here is the recipe. Only difference is I browned them in butter before working on the creamy cheese sauce with freshly shaved parmesan. It gave a layer of crunch to this rich side. They completely overshadowed the main, which was chicken stuffed with asparagus and Provolone. A very cheesy night!

To drink: a special martini I had at a bar in New Brunswick, NJ right before COVID started, consisting of gin, Lillet, and orange peel. For gin, I used the last of my Gin Lane 1751 Old Tom Gin, which is sweeter than London Dry, and meshes well with the Lillet. I had three. I think.

10 Likes

Mrs. P made a delicious grilled shrimp salad. Details and pictures in the main WFD thread below.

2 Likes

Attempting to use every damn zucchini my daughter made me plant, and has yet to take any to her apartment. Half-assed minestrone, frittata and a parmigiana mishap on moving from loaf pan to plate. Minestrone needs work, parm while ugly was tasty. Frittata was very good.

5 Likes

Ha, this reminds me of that saying that you never leave your doors unlocked in the summer because someone will leave you a bag of zucchini :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I like doing cold zoodle salads, like this https://themodernproper.com/thai-zoodle-salad

My mom makes a delicious chocolate zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting.

Yeah, I keep meaning to buy one of those zoodle doohickeys. Thanks for reminding me.

I was going to chime in and say that my OXO zoodle maker has been in use lately; a quick blanch in a little veg or chicken stock in a frying pan, then some pesto, and voila!

2 Likes

Throwing in towel today

5 Likes

BF made Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon last night. Amazing.

17 Likes

looks incredible…wow!!

1 Like

Chicken Gordon Ramsey Blue. His recipe and a royal PITA! Followed down the ridiculous amount of fresh Italian parsley and not bad but waaaay too much work.

7 Likes

Mrs. P made crispy pan seared red snapper filet (from Local 130 Seafood), and soft shell crab. Details and pictures in the main WFD thread below.

2 Likes

That gravy looks decadent!

2 Likes

With this heat I haven’t been doing much cooking and when my grill ran out of gas without a backup I wish I hadn’t cooked tonight. Anywho a horseradish crusted ribeye with baked tater, asparagus, cotc and a little bernaise. Salmon (sockeye which I’ve only recently discovered and honestly is very good) with garlic, lemon, butter, Dijon mustard and fresh dill for the ladies.

12 Likes

That ribeye looks great!

1 Like

My wife was so sick of us running out of propane even though we had a spare tank(since I never exchanged the single one when it was empty) she demanded we get a natural gas connection when we got a new grill last year. It was a great decision as there’s nothing worse than running out in the middle of cooking.

4 Likes

Mrs. P made a healthy roasted cauliflower steak for dinner.
Details and pictures in the main WFD thread below.

1 Like