What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Got an early father’s day gift in time for a perfect weather-wise Memorial Day … Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. First effort was spot on - brisket and beer can chicken. I foresee lots of smoking this season.

13 Likes

Those look DELICIOUS!!

2 NY Strips and 1 Ribeye from Monmouth Meats to celebrate our 12 year anniversary today. Paired nicely with a bottle of Isosceles from Justin, roasted Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus and Totted Potatoes.

11 Likes

Congratulations!

i made this last night http://anjuvijay.com/egg-puffs/
Actually An oven is needed to make a perfect egg puffs. But i tried it without using oven.

3 Likes

So if anyone here is starved for attention on Facebook, I have your answer. There is a group with more than 17k members called Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives - there’s more in the name, search it on Facebook. Anytime you cook something even a little questionable post a picture of it there and simply type Smash or Trash?

The folks in that group LOVE to trash things. If you post something incredible, you might get a lot of likes, but post something a little different and you’ll get comments galore.

I posted without the backstory of how, growing up poor, my mother learned to love hot dogs and spaghetti. Just hot dogs, Delmonte plain tomato sauce, spaghetti, and a little butter. Mom made it for me and I learned to love it too so I’ve always put the dish in my rotation of dinners.

So, yesterday I posted the pic below and then checked on it in four hours. I had more than 250 comments! Sure, most of them were Trash! or something to that effect, but it got so bad I had to turn off notifications.

Lol! Anyway, here is last night’s very trashy dinner:

6 Likes

Dinner for two? :innocent:

Back In The Day… My Sibs and I could make that disappear in three minutes. Or, less.

1 Like

Wow! All those hot dogs!

Growing up my Dad made lasagna. I always loved it. Noodles, pepperoni, tomato paste, mozzarella cheese and velvets!

I never knew it wasn’t what everyone else considered lasagna until he cooked it for a ski weekend where everybody contributed a main fish. I still love it!

4 Likes

Interesting, after many years of not hearing his voice I found Arthur Schwartz’ (the old NY Daily News food editor and WOR talk show host) podcast. I think it was his last episode where he spoke about how people will always love what they grew up with with regards to food. Can’t think of a better example than you two!

Elsewhere, someone else was making fun of Peter Luger steak sauce for, horror of horrors, having corn syrup. I always have a jar of the stuff in the fridge, and maybe use it once a year. But when I do it takes me back to the first time I enjoyed the wonder that was Lugers and slathered that stuff all over the tomato and onions, and used it instead of cocktail sauce on the shrimp. If I never ate at the place and saw it in my supermarket I’d probably never try it either.

7 Likes

AMEN !!! I will never forget my first time there when the placed the gravy boat of sauce on the table and I asked my host what it was, their response: “That’s their house steak sauce”.

Then the tomato and onion and shrimp cocktail were served and he started ladling the sauce all over his apps; “What are you doing with the steak sauce” I asked!!

(almost a precursor to the current Frank’s Hot Sauce campaign) He said: " You put this sh*t on everything"…and oh yes you did.

Fantastic memory!!

7 Likes

Awesome! Please share recipe. Thanks.:+1:

Spanish Wrap
main-qimg-38e21e9d4f7b5f6efc0fdfd

7 Likes

Care to share what goes into a Spanish Wrap? Looks nice and crisp!! Also welcome to the site!! If you don’t mind me asking how did you find us?

1 Like

That looks delicious!! Welcome to our community. We’re hungry and curious!

I’ve been thinking a lot about the food of my youth. As a boy I used to go to a diner that had a memorable patty melt. It was like a combo of a grilled cheese and a burger and always served on marbled rye bread. I give you my recreation, served medium rare of course:

11 Likes

LOVE a good patty melt, and it looks like you nailed it!

1 Like

Was in Woodbridge today [finally] getting my taxes done. Stopped at Wegmans and grabbed a couple of strip steaks. To be continued…

2 Likes

Voila!

More pics in the WFD thread!

10 Likes

1 picture = 1,000 words. Mmmmmm… Jersey berries.

12 Likes

Good for you!!!

1 Like