What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Mrs. P made braised rabbit pappardelle.

1 Like

Mrs. P made Asian inspired pulled rabbit tostados :yum: Pictures in the link below.

While I am not a NJ resident (from Boston), I am in the Newark area a lot as I work with Beth Israel Deaconess. So I should be considered 9/10 MA -1/10 NJ. Right? So I should be allowed on this site for let’s say one day out of 10?

Anyway, I’ll be in Newark first Monday after Thanksgiving and wondered if any of you have any suggestions for lunch/dinner? Appreciated

1 Like

Have you spent any time in the ironbound section of Newark? If not, that’s definitely where you should go! It’s the section of town behind Newark Penn Station. Ferry Street is the main drag. Portuguese, Spanish, and Brazilian restaurants abound!
Old school Basque at Casa Vasca is my long-time favorite, Adega Grill is more contemporary and upscale Portuguese, and Seabra’s Marisqueria Is the place to go for seafood and other traditional Portuguese food. If you’re going solo, that’s the place to sit at the bar and eat! It’s truly a locals’ spot.
Krug’s for a burger, Lopes to buy sausage to take home… Bring an insulated bag. In fact, bring one regardless of where you go, because you’ll end up with leftovers everywhere!

2 Likes

Perfect! I am in that exact area every time I’m in NJ, so I can try one of your suggestions each time. I probably won’t need the bag because it is a long drive and we like to have food for the way home. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Definitely grab some custard cups and other treats at Teixeira’s Bakery! Teixeira's Bakery in [Newark, NJ]

And here’s one other thread that may have ideas/specifics:

1 Like

ooh - looking at Teixeira’s Bakery’s website, I will most definitely stop there no matter where I decide to go for dinner!

1 Like

Shrimp Ceviche and Jalea (fried seafood) with Mahi, Shrimp and Calamari. Tartar and Salsa Criolla on the side.

5 Likes

I will second @CurlzNJ’s recommendations. I’ve never been to Adega Grill but have heard wonderful things about it. I love Casa Vasca and Seabra’s Mariscada. I’ve eaten at Seabra’s bar several times, most recently when I had to pick up my daughter at Newark Airport. Very convenient.

1 Like

And I forgot to mention that Seabra’s has their own lot across the street! Park at yourself, give the guy a buck, and get your ticket stamped in the restaurant.

Where’s that??

Good to know. Parking in that area is such a problem. Thanks again

1 Like

My kitchen. Peruvian girlfriend who loves to cook. Can hardly cook anymore myself as she won’t let me into the kitchen!

5 Likes

Would she be willing to share the basics of her ceviche? I know Peruvians keep that stuff on lock down but I am unclear what gets blended together and what gets chopped and put in with the fish.

Little riff on veal milanese with local caught blackfish (tautog). Arugula and fennel salad

10 Likes

That looks awesome. Nicely done

2 Likes

Costco is having their big Dungeness crab and Alaskan King crab legs sale for the next 5 days. Mrs. P bought 8 of each. They are already cooked and frozen, so we were able to vacuum seal them. Tonight we had 1 each for dinner and a corn salad on the side. Pictures in the link below.

3 Likes

Wow on the crab !

1 Like

Small pot of Texas Red - no beans!

Strong chipotle component to my recipe that goes great with some yellow rice.

2 Likes

Soul Kitchen is featured on CBS This Morning right now. Bon Jovi may be opening up another location for his brilliant idea.

2 Likes