What's Best #1: Pot Holders

I use terry cloth kitchen towels but never hang them on the oven door cause they can catch fire.

Really? For my own safety I wonder how that is even possible, perhaps your situation is very much different than what I can imagine in my kitchen.

one never knows when one will need one . . . .

1 Like

Well, let’s imagine that a pot full of oil boils over and for whatever reason catches on fire. Then sets the town on fire.

Hmm, I can imagine a lot, including Mrs O’Leary’s cow and a cook who drinks too much… And pots of ‘boiling’ oil poured over the parapets and onto the invaders scaling the walls.

. But in real life, I’ve never seen a pan with oil–boil. Usually it smokes and burns in the pot when it ignites. A good reason to keep your stove hood clean from grease build up…

This is when the cow comes in and tips the pan over. But if you use a towel, where do you keep it- on your apron, in your hand, over your shoulder, on the counter, on the fridge, or under the sink? If it’s on your person, or close by so that you may use it, isn’t it also likely to catch fire? Having a towel nearby on the oven door might save me from having or causing a stove top fire. I’m willing to learn a better system

I used one of those a heckuva lot when I was little, and bought one for my little one. My sentimental favorites from over 25 years ago were made on one.

These are awesome all I will use never get burned don’t slip great tool for a messy careless cook like me :slight_smile:

I like a good, solid pot holder that is 100% cotton and at least 6" to 8" square.

I don’t even try to use a towel since the time I was using a kitchen towel, it brushed along the bottom of the oven, and caught fire.

I’m considering making some double-sided cotton potholders (with 100% cotton batting in the middle). Or maybe a knit version, using smaller needles for a tight weave.

I’ve been cooking for over 50 years at this point and a plain ol’ reglar ol’ garden variety potholder has always been my go to favorite. These days I find myself making more and more of these sorts of items as the ones you get in department stores are such crap these days.

Pywacket - fabric stores sell the silver-gray heatproof stuff that is used in some manufactured potholders ad ironing board covers.

Do you know how these compare to the nice Terry pockets at William Sonoma? The ones at WS are made in the USA, though some are made in China, and I am curious if they are made by John Ritzenthaler and Co. The nice folks at WS won’t say, of course. But I found them on sale for $4.77 at a Williams-Sonoma outlet today.

I have glove style and silicon ones. The silicon ones are good looking and can be cleaned easily, but I found them too thin, same as the gloves.

I’m rather happy with my cheap Ikea holders, which are thick enough for most cases, and flexible enough so they can be placed under pots. They don’t sell them anymore, mysteriously somebody still try to sell their used ones for $15 USD!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IKEA-Two-Cream-Woven-Pot-Holders-/272662063313?hash=item3f7bece8d1:g:GesAAOSw-3FZD5Qk

I only discovered this post now, excellent idea! I tried to find WB #2, but couldn’t find it.
Can we continue?

Some ideas:

• kitchen scissors
  • thermometer
  • mortar and pestle
  • oven accessories

I love my silicone mitts but my friends have called them “creepy” and “gross” - they are also fun to scare dogs and small children with