What would you do with this fish?

That (Emglow"s) method is Montana husband’s method. But his were always minutes out of the river and never larger than would fit, headless, in the frying pan. Not sure the game warden would approve today.

2 Likes

If the salmon is fresh, I’d make sushi rolls with it. Last year, I got some sockeye salmon (very fresh) and made sushi rolls.
And since you have scraps, you can cut it smaller for the rolls.

As for the rainbow trout, add me the the @John (emglow101) crowd, lightly dredge in flour and fry it up!!

2 Likes

When it comes to cooking a whole fish, there are various methods you can try, depending on your preferences. Here are a few popular ways to cook a whole fish:

1. Grilling: Grilling imparts a smoky flavor and can give the fish a nice char. Season the fish with your favorite herbs and spices, brush it with some oil to prevent sticking, and grill it over medium heat until it’s cooked through.

2. Baking: Baking is a simple and reliable method that helps retain the natural flavors of the fish. You can stuff the cavity with herbs, lemon slices, or vegetables, then bake the fish in a preheated oven at around 375°F (190°C) until it’s tender and flaky.

3. Steaming: Steaming is a gentle and healthy cooking method that keeps the fish moist. You can use a steamer basket or wrap the fish in foil with some aromatics like ginger and scallions. Steam it for about 10-15 minutes or until the flesh is opaque and easily flakes with a fork.

As for the salmon trimmings, they can be utilized in different ways. Here are a couple of ideas:

1. Fish Stock: You mentioned fish stock, and it’s an excellent way to use salmon trimmings. Simmer the trimmings with aromatic vegetables like onions, celery, and carrots, along with herbs and spices. This flavorful stock can be used as a base for soups, stews, or risottos.

2. Chowder: Salmon trimmings can also be a great addition to a delicious fish chowder. Sauté some onions, garlic, and other desired vegetables in a pot, add the salmon trimmings, fish stock or broth, and simmer until the fish is cooked through. Finish off with some cream, herbs, and seasonings to taste.

Remember, these are just a few suggestions, and you can get creative with your own variations based on your taste preferences and the ingredients you have on hand. Enjoy your culinary adventure with the rainbow trout and salmon trimmings!

1 Like

for trout, and others, I like to stuff the cavity with a (pre-prepped/cooked) vegetable mix - keeps things moist + etc etc
looks like

for salmon scraps

7 Likes

I like your solution to salmon scraps. I’m assuming those are scallops.

For the trout, and only if it is absolutely fresh: clean out the innards, pan fry in a bit of butter and crumble a few pilot or soda crackers in there, too. Reconstitute a dehydrated lemon juice packet and pour over. Eat straight out of the pan you fried it in along side the mountain lake you caught it in. Serve with reconstituted dehydrated rice pilaf. For the salmon trims, make salmon jerkey.

1 Like

yes - scallops - probably should have mentioned that…

I just had to answer this question. What would you do with this fish . Release it . Fly Fishing on the lower Sacramento.river California Catch and release only . Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Fishing has been hot . Cheers.

10 Likes

I’d use the salmon trimmings cut up in bite size pieces in a grain bowl - just throw into the pot when the grain is just about finished cooking and add the veggies of your choice (I would use asparagus this time of year) and maybe a dollop of creme fraiche with dill

2 Likes

Agree. Release it.

1 Like

I’m a fish lover.
I’m a big fan of “wild caught” - but there are very serious issues with over-fishing.

wild caught steelhead is a big red flag. steelhead is at or bordering on ‘endangered’
the steelhead I get is farmed, from Norway/nordic fish farms. Cousteau mantra’ed the ‘oceans can feed us forever’ - but he did not foresee the today’s technology to net everything out of the water . . .

I’m very fortunate to have a real fish monger - locally opened, not forever since there.
fresh never frozen real fish - check the eyes, check the gills, they have the real deal. it’s a “family chain” - so they have the sources and the distribution channels to put the ‘real deal fresh fish’ on the ice tables for sale.

any and all of the local supermarkets sell only ‘previous frozen’ fish.
Costco - 30+ minutes away . . . - honestly labels their stuff either as ‘previously frozen’ or ‘never frozen’ - I routinely buy farmed steelhead there - portion it for two, and freeze. beats the living daylights out of any other available competition/source.

my grandfather did brownies out of the Beaverkill - he rarely had time for recreational fishing - so most of them were out-of-creel eaten or frozen for later . . .

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Yes, over fish is a real problem, and we don’t have good solution to this.

1 Like

Boundaries crossed in international waters with no concerns. Not going to name names

Like your use of scraps. I need to try that the next time I trim the belly meat off a side of steelhead or salmon. Currently my MO is to marinate the scraps in a rum and brown sugar mixture and then a short smoke. But your use looks more upscale with the big scallops nestled in there

For the salmon, cook it and use it in a poke bowl. We use rice or salad as a base, with cut up cucumber, red onion and whatever other veggies we have, like sugar snap peas, tomato, corn, etc. We make a spicy mayo sauce to go on top, with furikake, sesame seeds etc. Use whatever you have and like, it’s very forgiving!

1 Like

You can never go wrong with whole fish on the grill! I like how the Greeks do it with plenty of EVOO. The Chinese steamed fish with ginger is also super nice too.

As for salmon trimmings, imo the best use of that is Japanese Hokkaido Salmon hot pot. The miso and butter with salmon is just an amazing combination. This IMO is specifically best with salmon head/trimmings.

@ScottinPollock In my part of the US there is absolutely an abundance of fresh fish, especially at Asian markets.

2 Likes

Lucky you. When I lived in So.Cal. it was not an issue. But where I am at now (140 miles east of the west coast) there is nothing.

This is a belated thank you to everyone for their suggestions for using salmon trimmings and whole trout. I am just now getting to said fish since I am making my way through a really full freezer. I have two servings of salmon trimmings so I used one to add to a spring roll bowl. I’ve made this dish several times and I love the taste that the herbs, lime juice and fish sauce bring to the dish. I added carrots and broccoli stocks as the vegetables. I haven’t decided yet what to do with the other serving of salmon trimmings or the rainbow trout since you’ve all given me so many good suggestions :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Stuff the gut with butter, greens and lemon slices, wrap in foil and bake. Or, since one can eat the skin of the trout, shallow fry it after scoring the skin. I don’t know about the salmon trimmings, but I eat trout often.

Catch and release means just that. It’s out of the water, though, so ,more than likely, will die anyway. Trout don’t have fat stores like many other fish and need every calorie they eat. Fly fishing, you don’t use live bait, so no calories. Fly guys I know always take the hook out while holding the fish in the water, then let 'em go. I’ve adopted the same habit with spinning, if I know I’m not going to keep it.