What Wine Did You Drink Today #2? 2021-now

First time trying out this supposedly fabulous 2019 German vintage…All the hype about this vintage year was true!!
About this Scharzhofberger: Great off-dry Riesling with nose of Apricot, Lime, Honey, Apple and just a hint of petrol. Well balanced with high acidity. Paired well with Chinese seafood focused

hot-pot

Wok Fried BC Spotted Prawns in Maggi sauce and Fried BC jumbo oyster with peppered honey glaze…paired with ’ Paul/

Andre Blanck & Fils, 2018 Altenbourgh Cru Class Gewurztraminer ( Full bodied, floral, spicy and off dry…great with the Cantonese style seafood )

Other meat dishes ( Crispy skin fried free range chicken…paired with 2007 Shafer Stag Leap district California Cab.( Full bodied, smooth with fine tannin, black berries and tobacco tone )

5 Likes

Prinsi Azienda Agricola Barbaresco Gaia Principe 2016

Lots of dark fruit with just enough tannic structure to keep it from being too jammy. 14.5% ABV, but it avoids being hot on the palate. Went great with our Snake River Farms bavette and I expect it would be fine in the cellar for a while, if I was patient enough for that.

5 Likes

Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnay 2020 with brie and salami front of the TV tonight. Keeping it simple.

3 Likes

Sonoma-Cutrer Russian River Ranches appellation is one of our go-to’s, been a while since I tried the Sonoma Coast. Tempting though as Costco now carries it. Where is it on the dryness/minearality scale?

If you get a chance to visit Sonoma-Cutrer, try reserving (well in advance) one of their two croquet courts. Sampling wines while playing croquet is a lovely diversion.

I think it is on the drier side, with enough mineral notes to balance the oak. Similar to the Russian River edition, maybe a little lighter. Runs about $4 cheaper (at least at my local liquor purveyor, Giorgio’s). I would buy it again!

Finishing some of my sweet, dessert wine collection before diabetes sets in! Ha! :rofl:

" Tirecul La Graviere, Cuvee Madame 1996"

IMO, this bottle of outstanding Monbazillac can easily rival any great Sauternes like Rieussac or Suduirant. Opulence and roundness from the Semillion and Sauvignon (5% ) components and wide aromatic range and freshness from Muscadelle. Perfect pairing for a sweet shortbread crust French Pear Tarte! Yummm! :yum:

2 Likes

An absolutely gorgeous 1998 Weinbach Grand-Cru Riesling Schlossberg, Cuvee Sainte-Catherine L’Inedit!
Paired with following Chinese food:

• Slow cooked pork spare ribs in aged Chinese Chinkiang Black Vinegar ( Chinese version Balsamic )
  • Chiu-Chow style duck and tofu marinated in aged herb-ed soy ‘mother’ sauce.
  • Chiu-Chow style fried oyster omelette with fish sauce dip
  • Singapore style fried rice vermicelli.
  • Oven roasted vegetables with minced garlic and EVOO ( forgot to take photo )

3 Likes

I left my heart on the Sonoma coast. I spent a lot of time between Bodega Bay and the Russian River. (Lots of time in Tomales Bay, Pt Reyes, and Drake’s Bay too but that’s Marin.)

2 Likes

Malamatina retsina. What can I say? I like retsina. Would be nice to have a bit more choice, but the LCBO doesn’t stock much of it.

1 Like

Me too! Always preferred Sonoma over Napa, even back in the day. Now I enjoy Amador County and in SoCal, Temecula area. Some really fabulous wines.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

Atteca old vine Garnacha (2018), by Gil Family Estates. Had it last night with loaded cheeseburgers (cheddar, bacon, fried egg, roasted tomatoes and garlic jam) and is afternoon with Americanized Chinese food (fried meat dumplings, deep fried, battered salt and pepper shrimp, crab rangoon…hot mustard, soy-ginger dipping sauce, chile crisp). Works beautifully with all of it. Tannins are softened by the various fats and plays well with soy sauce, a fair amount of berries bringing some sugar to deal with spices/heat in foods, and a peppery through line to help cleanse the palate between bites. 15% ABV, so just be aware there (but not hot on the palate). A good workhorse for casual drinking with a backyard cookout or takeout.

5 Likes
  • Pan Fried Live BC Spotted Prawns in Maggi Sauce ( Excellent,
    gorgeous tasting glaze )
  • Fried/Par Oil-Poached Live wild Thai Goby Fish served with
    sweetened Premium Top Soy ( Grease-less, crispy and crunchy
    exterior, super-moist meat inside! )
  • Rose Essence, Herbed Premium Soy-Sauce marinated Free Range
    Chicken. ( May be currently, the best rendition in town. Can rub
    shoulder with some of Hong Kong’s best! )
  • Deep fried Crispy Pork Spare Ribs with minced Garlic and Chili
    Salt ( Finger licking good! )
  • Pan Fried Angus Filet Mignon with Honey, Grainy Mustard Sauce (
    Tender, nicely caramelized and coated with deliciously seasoned
    sauce )
  • Sauteed long stem Chinese Lettuce with Fermented Bean-Curd
    and Chili-Pepper ( Great Wok-Hay )
  • Braised Tofu, Clay-Pot Casserole with Shitake Mushrooms and
    Broccoli.
  • Stirred fry Flat Rice Noodles with sliced Angus Beef and Yellowing
    Chives ( aka Gone-Chau-Ngau-Ho ) - ( Nicely executed with good
    Wok-Hay and grease-less finishing )

Paired with a great vintage year, off-dry German Riesling from a superlative Vineyard - 2015 Von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Kabinett and a top quality and finesse Pauillac 5th growth under Mouton-Rothschild ownership - 2005 d’Armaihac.

6 Likes

I stumbled across this Williams-Selyem Calegari Vineyard pinot from 2013 in the cellar. W-S wines rarely live so long in my cellar, but oh my goodness it was a wine in full, nary a rough edge and all the classic pinot notes of dark cherry and just a bit of leather. I guess I need to show more restraint and let W-S wines gain a bit more age :wink:
IMG_0718.HEIC

5 Likes

Wonder how does that compare with a Pinot Noir from say Oregon’s Domaine Drouhin?!
Also, years ago, I used to work with an Engineer in San Fran., who is also a part-owner of Saintsbury. Introduced me to their intense Pinot Noir which at that time, California’s Pinot was still at its infancy!

It’s been a while since I’ve had Domaine Drouhin or Saintsbury, but my recollection is they would be fair comparisons, fruit forward but with restraint, not fruit bombs. Adults in charge sorts of wines.

1 Like

An exemplary ’ Brunello di Montalcino ’ from a superb 2006 vintage year! Smooth, loaded with dark berry fruit and rounded with fine tannin. Great with a ’ Braised Giant Beef Short Ribs with red wine…Cantonese style! ’ at ’ The ONE Fusion ’ Chinese Cuisine

4 Likes

Jeez, I haven’t opened a bottle of wine (except for cooking) in months. I should see if I have a nice warm weather one.

1 Like

Oooo please tell us about your choice here. And you know I cannot just leave it at that. Not in my nature. Me and alcohol have a “complicated” relationship. Grew up in a dive bar, my mom had a wine importing business, my whole father’s side of the family bent their elbows. A lot. I can still remember the first buzz I got. It was from strong beautiful draft beer. I got my own glass just for me. Draft beer is life. Then about a decade ago I got a very unwelcome field promotion and was too scared to drink much at all. I was on duty you see. Right now it finally feels safe to imbibe. So hoisting a few is such a relief. Still trying to figure out what I like but enjoying the journey. So do tell.

1 Like