What Wine Did You Drink Today #2? 2021-now

Wasn’t familiar with Merryvale. I see Bill Harlan had a decade-long association.

I tend to [irrationally] buy most everything in 2’s and 3’s to enjoy on my whim then replacing.

1 Like

This was nice, plush and silky with earthy mushroom flavors. I’m glad I opened it now though, you could see it start bricking and I think it would have started downhill.

1 Like

Had this Antinori syrah when we were staying near Cortona about a decade ago. Have been on the lookout for it in the US without success until this weekend, on a visit to Miami Beach. Did not disappoint, every bit as enjoyable as the first encounter. Juicy but not over the top. A bit of restraint and tannins in check. Decanted for an hour before Easter dinner of pork roast. Certainly the first Italian syrah I ever encountered, a nice departure. Bramasole is the name of the Roman road that runs through Tuscany. Frances Mayes named her famous house in Cortona after the road.

3 Likes

Getting down to the last of my 2005 Bordeauxs

1 Like

A Grand Cru Alsace Gewurztraminer

to go with Chinese food ( Peking Duck )

4 Likes

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Bedazzling combination.

Starting off the 2022 Covid Labour Long Weekend with a ’ Sweet Bang '!
For afternoon tea, paired a Fresh Cream Mango Sponge Cake with a German Selected Late Harvest (BA) Mosel Saar Riesling from a great vintage year. Due to the petroleum nose that goes with the Caramel, Orange Marmalade, Pineapple, Tropical fruit profile of the wine, IMO, a French Apple Tarte Normande might be a better dessert candidate. For the Mango cake, should have picked a younger, fresher sweet wine instead?!..may be a 2015 Scharzhofberger Auslese?!

Will follow this up with a Bordeaux tasting tomorrow! Cannot wait!

3 Likes

What a night of drinking!
Right Bank meet Left Bank!
After 30+ years the Latour still tasted young!

6 Likes

Some heavy hitters! What did you eat with them?

More like watching NBA playoffs with them and mainly on their own.
However did order some finger friendly food…No red meat but a few Cantonese and Shanghainese roasted chicken, fried pork chop and savoury crispy duck ( similar to the French Du

ck Confit )

3 Likes

Takes some big wines to stand up to that!

When you can’t be in Jura…

Paired well with an aged Comtè

3 Likes

Whoa not many replies. Love your avatar. A cheap six dollar rose from wegmans

Whispering Angel rosè. Was lovely with leftover salt and pepper shrimp, egg rolls, and dumplings from yesterday’s dinner delivery.

1 Like

Nice. I have had that rose before but a couple of years ago. I got it from the grim sterile Pa state store. I have more fun getting wine from Wegmans. I think Linda Whit buys some of her wine from Wegmans too. Linda any wegmans recs? Thanks for the fast reply

1 Like

Lesson learned!!..a 50+

year old Vintage Taylor port is still ’ young '!!
Gaja was really good. Grange was over-rated.

1 Like

Grange is certainly distinctive, but to me seems to be an acquired taste…that I haven’t acquired.
Crazy $$$ for Grange…but then again, Angelo Gaja seems to be no slouch at marketing. I think his whites and non-Piedmont wines are better values, and they aren’t cheap.

70, 89, and 92 - those are some great cellar selections.

1 Like