What Wine Did You Drink Today #1? 2015-2020

Sadly, the 1991 Ridge Mataro was badly corked. I ended up drinking a 2003 Contra Costa mourvedre that I made myself. It’s held up pretty well.

1 Like

That is sad to hear. We all know that bottles sealed with a cork have a built-in possibility of disappointment, and we also are led to understand that a good cork has something to do with the contents over time. Bravo for your choice and belief that time can be on your side. Sla’inte.

I’m curious about the French Bandols that I still have, mostly from 2000-2001. I’ll report back.

I had a nice light inexpensive Spanish 2016 Granito Del Cadalso made up of 100% garnacha. It went great with smoked country ribs that had a Cajun spiced dry rub.

2 Likes

I had an excellent 2016 Adage Domaine Montvac Gigondas tonight. It went great with a molasses brined pork chop.

4 Likes

Our friend cooked us a spectacular dinner last night with some phenomenal wines. Below is a link to the details of the dinner with some pictures if anyone is interested. Some of the outstanding wines we had were a 2012 Caymus cabernet, a 1981 Beronia Gran Reserva Rioja that is still going strong after 38 years, a 1986 Ridge Jimsomare red zinfandel, and a Heitz Cellars port that went great with dessert.

2 Likes

How was the zin?

The 1986 Ridge zin was excellent. It went great with a spicy pasta dish with sautéed lobster, red jalapeños, fresh garlic, and scallions. My favorite wine is Caymus, but all of the wines were great. I was really impressed with the 1981 Rioja. It was still going strong after 38 years, and can probably be cellared for at least another 10 years.

3 Likes

If I may ask. Were (are) you in the wine trade? You’re drinking fabulous labels and vintages regularly. You must have a deep cellar. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @Google_Gourmet :slightly_smiling_face: No, unfortunately I am not in the wine business. I just like good bold red wines :slightly_smiling_face: These recent wines that I just posted about were from my friend’s collection. He invited us over for dinner and has a very nice wine collection. I wish I could afford most of these wines. I have a few cases stored at home but they don’t last long. I try to find bargains under $30.00 (that are on sale and can retail for up to $80 sometimes). I know one of the wine directors at Wine Library, and he knows the type of wines that I like, and usually steers me towards some excellent recommendations within my price range.

3 Likes

I had an outstanding 2012 Mario Bazan Napa cabernet for my birthday tonight. This could easily be cellared for another 10 years and still be great.
I also had an excellent Taylor Fladgate 10 year old port for dessert.

1 Like

Had a really yummy Pinot with dinner. If I could only have one kind of wine to drink forever, it would be Pinot Noir. This one was a bit spicy with a lot of plum and berry. Someone pored label down and messed up my photo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I had an excellent 2017 Ridge Paso Robles Red zinfandel tonight. It went great with a Niman Ranch pork chop topped with poached shallots in a red wine sauce over polenta with fresh rosemary.
Below is a link to the details and pictures of the rest of the dinner in case anyone is interested.

2 Likes

Happy belated!

Thanks!

I had an excellent 2014 Baer Ursa, a Columbia Valley red blend consisting of merlot, cabernet franc, cabernet sauvignon, and Malbec. It went great with a beautifully charred, 28 day aged, 24 ounce wood grilled Cowboy steak au poivre with crispy herbed fries.

In case anyone is interested, below is a link to the details and pictures of the rest of the dinner.

2 Likes

We have grown fond of the Kirkland Sangria as the base. All thats needed is fruit and you’re good to go. The large bottle is ideal for a party bowl.

A few good bottles. Last night we had this nice big juicy zin with a huge bone in porter house steak. This was a big wine- I call it giant purple in a glass.

Tonight was just a chicken salad so DH grabbed this Pinot. Maison L’Envoye makes a few Pinots I really like.

2 Likes

I had an excellent 2014 Chateau Sixtine Chateauneuf Du Pape tonight. It went great with a braised BBQ rabbit leg cooked on pecan wood with a citrus BBQ glaze at Laurel and Sage in Montclair, NJ.

3 Likes

Looks fantastic!

1 Like