What Wine Did You Drink Today #1? 2015-2020

That 2000 Barolo sounds really good. Those wines can age for years.

1 Like

Every bottle is different. This time the table reaped the reward of patience.

P.S. A lifetime friend sings the praises of Mourvedre, and we have a hard time tracking down examples to honor the recommendation. Time to raid his stash.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever had a wine made out of 100% Mourvedre grapes. It’s usually blended with other grapes like Grenache and syrah.

At this point we’re working out of classification, given limited memory on the subject.

I bought a bunch of 1999-2001 mourvedres (from Bandol, mostly) specifically to see how they’d age in the long run. I also have a 1991 Ridge Mataro on my kitchen counter, to be opened today for Greek Easter.

Also, one of the most profound wines I’ve every had was a 1993 Rosenblum mourvedre, Contra Costa County appellation, tasted last year. The secondaries were almost psychedelic.

1 Like

Mourvedre is one of those varieties that you don’t find as a stand-alone all that often (especially in California). But when one is done well it can be REALLY good. I work for a small winemaker who just released one that I love. He also does a Grenache, a Sangiovese, and a Verdelho, as well as a Tanat blend, that are killer. I find that small producers often take more ‘chances’ with lesser grapes.

1 Like

Living well when you have Ridge wines to open.

1 Like

I ended up not opening the Mataro yesterday, because I wasn’t feeling quite well. Maybe sometime this week.

Sadly, the 1991 Ridge Mataro was badly corked. I ended up drinking a 2003 Contra Costa mourvedre that I made myself. It’s held up pretty well.

1 Like

That is sad to hear. We all know that bottles sealed with a cork have a built-in possibility of disappointment, and we also are led to understand that a good cork has something to do with the contents over time. Bravo for your choice and belief that time can be on your side. Sla’inte.

I’m curious about the French Bandols that I still have, mostly from 2000-2001. I’ll report back.

I had a nice light inexpensive Spanish 2016 Granito Del Cadalso made up of 100% garnacha. It went great with smoked country ribs that had a Cajun spiced dry rub.

2 Likes

I had an excellent 2016 Adage Domaine Montvac Gigondas tonight. It went great with a molasses brined pork chop.

4 Likes

Our friend cooked us a spectacular dinner last night with some phenomenal wines. Below is a link to the details of the dinner with some pictures if anyone is interested. Some of the outstanding wines we had were a 2012 Caymus cabernet, a 1981 Beronia Gran Reserva Rioja that is still going strong after 38 years, a 1986 Ridge Jimsomare red zinfandel, and a Heitz Cellars port that went great with dessert.

2 Likes

How was the zin?

The 1986 Ridge zin was excellent. It went great with a spicy pasta dish with sautéed lobster, red jalapeños, fresh garlic, and scallions. My favorite wine is Caymus, but all of the wines were great. I was really impressed with the 1981 Rioja. It was still going strong after 38 years, and can probably be cellared for at least another 10 years.

3 Likes

If I may ask. Were (are) you in the wine trade? You’re drinking fabulous labels and vintages regularly. You must have a deep cellar. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @Google_Gourmet :slightly_smiling_face: No, unfortunately I am not in the wine business. I just like good bold red wines :slightly_smiling_face: These recent wines that I just posted about were from my friend’s collection. He invited us over for dinner and has a very nice wine collection. I wish I could afford most of these wines. I have a few cases stored at home but they don’t last long. I try to find bargains under $30.00 (that are on sale and can retail for up to $80 sometimes). I know one of the wine directors at Wine Library, and he knows the type of wines that I like, and usually steers me towards some excellent recommendations within my price range.

3 Likes

I had an outstanding 2012 Mario Bazan Napa cabernet for my birthday tonight. This could easily be cellared for another 10 years and still be great.
I also had an excellent Taylor Fladgate 10 year old port for dessert.

1 Like

Had a really yummy Pinot with dinner. If I could only have one kind of wine to drink forever, it would be Pinot Noir. This one was a bit spicy with a lot of plum and berry. Someone pored label down and messed up my photo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes