What was your favorite dinner when you were a kid?

I had a few. (I was a good eater.) I grew up in Pittsburgh in the 50s, so one was city chicken (breaded pork on a skewer), mashed potatoes, green beans (probably from a can), and a Klondike for dessert.
Another was Jiffy Beef Steaks (preformed processed frozen hamburgers) or TV dinners. We only had those when my salesman father was on the road and wouldn’t be home for dinner. We also got to watch TV while we ate - heaven!
Last was spaghetti with meat sauce. It always smelled so good.

What were yours?

2 Likes

Great topic!

As kids we used to BEG for TV dinners! They are soo crappy.

My mom’s pork chops were one that I liked- crusted in cornflakes with a tomato based sauce. Beef rouladen on mashed potatoes was another good one. I also liked her spaghetti recipe and an orange sauced chicken dish called Treasure Island chicken that she served with rice.

Lamb chops and mashed potatoes! (Ideally with BirdsEye green beans with spaetzle. And boysenberry pie.) That would be my birthday dinner actually.

Of the more regular rotation meals my mom’s broiled lemon chicken, baked pork chops with onions and mushrooms, and big thick juicy hamburgers. For Fridays whole ocean fish (caught by Dad) broiled with lemon and capers.

I also loved frozen chicken pot pies and Banquet frozen fried chicken.

1 Like

There was some baked chicken dish mom made that involved white rice, a can of cream of mushroom soup and chicken that i was verrrry into. Actually mostly the rice part.
In the summer we would have shrimp louie salads, with those really tiny little shrimp and iceburg lettuce. Always iceburg. It came from fields nearby and to this day i crave that cool crunchy texture.
After I became vegetarian (i was like ten) my favorites were stuffed baked potatoes, we just did all the toppings on the table to DIY. And a side salad of course. Always veggies.

I remember begging for a TV dinner too! On the rare occasion we had a babysitter sometimes we were allowed to get a TV dinner, i remember being appalled by the squishy vegetables and very into the corn sitting in a pool of buttery sauce.

1 Like

Fried chicken wings. I could eat 10 before dinner even started.

I was always over to eat at my friends house who were Italians. Nonna told us to go shoot some sparrows with our bb guns. She stuffed them with rosemary and garlic. . I’ll never forget it .served over polenta.

5 Likes

Mom was a widow at age 36 with four young kids. As the oldest, I did most of the dinner meals until my sibs were older. Except Sunday. So, my favorite dinner was on Sunday when Mom had the day to plan and prepare. Roasted chicken, taters usually baked in foil, creamed spinach or creamed corn, and ice cream shakes or banana splits for dessert.

Second to that, was her Thanksgiving dinners.

3 Likes

My parents immigrated to the midwest before I was born. My mom learned all of her American cooking from her friends and neighbors. I always looked forward to the non-indian meals, since we ate mostly indian food at home.

My favorite was always Onion Chicken, which was chicken pieces coated in mayo and tossed with bread crumbs and onion soup mix, and then baked. She always made boxed mac and cheese with it for us, and some veggie, but the chicken and mac and cheese were the best combo!

She also used make something called Broccoli Chicken, which involved cream of broccoli soup, lemon slices, and broccoli, all baked together in the oven. She would serve it with Stovetop stuffing, which I loved (i still like it). She’d only make the Broccoli Chicken in the cooler months since it was pretty hearty.

3 Likes

I was not a good eater. So, lamb chops and/or spaghetti with Del Monte tomato sauce (straight out of the can) on top! Unless grandma was over, then her brisket or potted chicken. Love this topic!

Sunday dinner was a rare (top of the round),roast beef (still don’t know how people eat it well done), mashed potato, gravy and string beans. My mother wasn’t a great cook, but each Sunday, she became a superstar in my book! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mom was a stay-at-home wife & mom (60-70s). Roast chicken breast with mashed potatoes and green beans (fresh or frozen . . . .mom & dad abhorred canned veggies). Fried chicken, fried pork chops . . . dad loved fried meat; mom said she was lucky he never discovered chicken fried steak :thinking: Meatloaf, hamburgers. Iceberg lettuce salads with Italian dressing. Corn on the cob in summer. Cucumber and onion salads also a summer staple. Hot dog “dimes” with onion and baked beans when times were lean; nice steaks when times were good!

Roast beef or roast whole chicken on Sundays. Roasted potatoes and dad’s favorite succotash :frowning: Mom was also a big proponent of spinach and fordhook limas (hence the succotash).

Dad was also a big dessert guy, so we always had chocolate bars and/or Breyer’s ice cream!

ETA: I begged mom for a frozen Libby’s meal. She told me I’d hate it. She was right.

No lamb for us :grinning:

McDonalds! I guess I never grew up, still eat it to this day.

We were allowed McDonald’s when we could recite the "All two beef patties . . . " or receive all A’s. Otherwise, no McD’s for us :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Eh - I was raised by intellectuals so the conversation was a lot more important than the food. My mother cooked because we all had to eat - not from any love of the kitchen. However, my favorite was her meatloaf which I still make to this day. She used cornflake crumbs in it instead of bread or breadcrumbs. I also remember my father (Italian) asking my mother (English & Dutch) on numerous occasions if there were ANY spices in the house other than salt & pepper?

1 Like

I do that in my sweet and sour meatballs (another grandma thing).

Mine was liver with onions, bacon and mash potato. I still love offal to this day.

On my birthday, I would always request fried chicken livers and spinach.

The spinach recipe was:

One 28 ounce can of spinach
Two eggs

Mix in a blender, then pour in a saucepan. Cook on low heat until it poofs up like a soufflé.

5 Likes

Mom like others was NOT into cooking. So those frozen cubed steaks (the ones with a pat of butter on top) were a treat because she served them with a heaping helping of onion crisps, the ones from a can. (Fried, dried, and curly.)
Also frozen chicken pot pies.
Lemon cake - a box vanilla, baked in a sheet pan, pierced, and soaked with a mixture of fresh lemon juice, and a box of lemon jello.

1 Like

I’d eat a frozen chicken pot pie right now if it didn’t have 20,000 grams of sodium.

1 Like

We always had the Swanson’s ones. I loved them, and I always burned my mouth on the first bite.

3 Likes