What was your favorite dinner when you were a kid?

My five favorites were fried usually on a Friday night.

In order again all fried: Red Snapper, Speckled Trout, veal cutlet, round steak, (chicken-fried steak,) and fried chicken.

The fish was done skin on in corn meal a dish I still cook today with great success. This was my Granny’s dish as was the chicken in flour which I can’t touch and have given up trying.

While I was eating fish the rest of the family was eating fried shrimp which I of course didn’t like or try being a young picky eater.

I was the designated shrimp peeler, big fat, fresh Gulf white shrimp and I especially enjoyed pulling the legs off.

Ah, the bounty of the Southeast Texas coast.

Honorable mention goes to mom’s roast beast but my brother and I had to intercept it when she took it out for basting so we could get some good rareish meat before she put it back in the oven and overcooked it for herself and my father.

Even as a tyke I knew redder was better.

Sunday night supper was enjoyed while we watched Bonanza, Rice Krispys, bacon, and toast for me, eggs and bacon for everyone as I just didn’t do eggs and still don’t.

3 Likes

Joe, my mom also used cornflake crumbs, and I still make that version today, along with a couple of others. (Paul Prudhomme’s Cajun meatloaf and Marcela Valladolid’s Mexican meatloaf). I still top it with a can of undiluted Campbell’s Tomato Soup and bacon strips. My sister does as well. It’s my husband’s favorite.

1 Like

I had several:

Fettuccini Alfredo made with Romano and parsley
Eggplant breaded in Italian breadcrumbs and shallow-fried, with homemade Velveeta mac
Chicken tenders marinated in lemon juice, breaded in flour and fried in browned butter
Pot roast on Sundays

My parents were decent self-taught cooks for the 1980s, although they relied too heavily on dusty powdered herbs and spices and canned foods.

1 Like

My father was great at making beans. My mom baked .