What to Use as a Roaster-Sized Heat Pad/Trivet?

We need to transport a turkey in a roasting pan from our house to our friends’ house. Our trunk has a rubber mat but I don’t want to risk putting the roasting on directly on it, so I’m looking for suggestions for something large to lay down as a heat pad. (If an old army blanket would work, that would be ideal, but would it scorch/catch fire? I’ve never done this sort of thing before.)

I have all sorts of stuff for the table (bamboo, etc.,) but they are all saucepan-sized.

A bath towel would help with heat and friction and spills

1 Like

I often use old towels in a laundry basket to transport potentially messy hot food items.
Lay a towel on the bottom, place roaster on top. Use other towels to wedge around it to keep the pan from shifting. A plastic bag and roll of paper towels just in case any mopping up is needed.

In my car the floor of the back seat causes less movement than the trunk.

3 Likes

For car transport, I usually line/shim a heavy cardboard box with an old bath towel. You can load/unload it all as a unit.

No, it won’t scorch.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

This.

We used the laundry basket with towels and it worked like a charm. (Plus the towels help keep the heat in.)

We had a cardboard box, but the laundry basket was the perfect size and could be set on the (wet) ground to open/close the trunk, etc.

Thanks to all!

1 Like