What to use after plastic straw ban?

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-07-15/people-make-it-so-hard-to-ditch-plastic-straws?srnd=premium

1 Like

Yes, that story freaked me out too.

assistant coroner Brendan Allen said: “Clearly great care should be taken when using these metal straws. There is no give in them at all.

“If someone does fall on one and it’s pointed in the wrong direction, serious injury can occur.

It seems to me these metal straw should not be used with any form of lid that holds them in place.

“It seems the main problem here is if the lid hadn’t been in place the straw would have moved away.”

Duly noted. Yikes.

The same is true of knives. Do you have any knives at home? Accidents can always happen.

Of course, but people are more used to remembering to be careful and aware when using knives.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever in my life fallen on any kind of straw, and I’m a klutz who drinks a fair amount. This was a freak accident. And note that the deceased had a condition that left her “prone to falling over, collapsing at random intervals.” So fear of killer straws is not likely to keep me up at night.

3 Likes

One thing I find is that I have no problem drinking something with ice cubes in it without a straw; it’s crushed ice that gives me problems. This means fewer straws used at home, where I can switch, and no need for one if cubes are used. (I recognize that this won’t work for everyone.)

2 Likes

Holy moly - this is straight out of a horror movie. :scream:

Can’t we just use like bigger versions of sippy cups? I know this wouldn’t work in a restaurant, but if we’re walking around with drinks at home, I would be content to drink out of my adult sippy cup.

On the basis of the news story I would have to say NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY NO.
The big take away to me is, as in the article, the straw shouldn’t be attached to the cup or the lip of the cup.

At the risk of repeating myself, why a straw at all?

At the risk of repeatingmyself, physical disabilities, for one.

3 Likes

I saw this and thought of you. Did you see this?

Yes, but thanks for noting it. Having only one supermarket, with no others nearby, makes it easier.

Don’t forget the feety pajamas :smile:

Which does not justify being served with a straw as a default.

Agreed.

that’s what i do. found the stainless steel straws too cold so got some silicone (which is biodegradable). keep a couple, along with a couple of titanium sporks, along with a small knife in my bag.

3 Likes

Back in the day it was rolled up hundred dollar bills but we used ones in a pinch.

2 Likes

I have a silicone straw I use at work, and recently bought a couple of stainless steel ones, which are fine until you clang one against a tooth and realize how close to dental disaster you might be. I did see a woman at work yesterday that had a metal straw with silicone a couple of inches at the drinking end, which strikes me as genius.

1 Like

You’ve made me think. Thank you. Not a fan of the Tupperware brand but I’ll start bringing Lock-n-Lock when we go out to dinner.

3 Likes

Oh my, haha, too funny lol - and don’t forget the long pinky fingernail - works in a pinch! You’ve given me a permanent smile for the rest of the night and thanks @jcostiones.

2 Likes