What to use after plastic straw ban?

I participate in the very new yorker version of recycling. It goes to the curb with a sign taped to it “Free!! It works!!” Or “Free! It’s broken!”
Never been there more than a few hours. Anything smaller than say a microwave is generally an apple product that i bring in for a discount on the new ridiculous thing I’m buying to replace it

Only in America. A few years ago in North Beach, San Francisco. Down the street from our apartment, some one left out a cherry looking 40” Sony Trinitron. A sign marked “FREE” taped to it.

It sat on the sidewalk unclaimed for the better part of a week. Finally, someone posted another note: GOT A FLAT PANEL???

Still cracks me up to this day.

5 Likes

Read an article that in France, the high end bars and restaurants have a preference towards “la Perche”, the straw is made of organic rye stalk…, actually it is really a straw. 1 or 2 centuries ago, ancestors drank with these…

4 Likes

Best Buy will recycle electronics/appliances.

1 Like

Chem- is this for real or is it parody? I have a hard time telling any more

I think it is real. It is also mentioned in National Geographic
"Microplastics make up 94 percent of an estimated 1.8 trillion pieces of plastic in the patch. But that only amounts to eight percent of the total tonnage. As it turns out, of the 79,000 metric tons of plastic in the patch, most of it is abandoned fishing gear—not plastic bottles or packaging drawing headlines today. "

Here is the literature source from Nature:
“Over three-quarters of the GPGP mass was carried by debris larger than 5 cm and at least 46% was comprised of fishing nets.”
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-22939-w

I live in Texas.

If you want straws, just pm me and we’ll work something out.

Sheesh. It ain’t rocket surgery.

Or you could just vote the idiots out of office. :wink:

Red Vines not Twizzlers :slight_smile:image

3 Likes

Ong Choy (water Spinach).

• pic from web.
3 Likes

Lol, and the alternative Chinese name is Tung Sum Choy in Cantonese, which means hollow-heart vegetable, so that would make sense. Exempt that stuff states to go bad quickly; you’ll need to refresh your supply every 2-3 days.

1 Like

do they get big enough for bubble tea?

I doubt it. Bubble tea was yet to be invented when I was playing with Ong Choy as a straw. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why does anyone over the age of 4 need a straw?

6 Likes

Physical disabilities, for one. Sensitive teeth, for another.

1 Like

In which case owning a reusable tube, like a stainless steel straw, would seem in order. To expect retail establishments to supply straws seems odd.

I actually think some drinks really are better with straws. Ever try to drink a cold drink with a lot of ice and all you get when you tip the glass is a mouth or face full of ice cubes?

I applaud the move to restrict single use plastics, but why is expecting a straw that crazy? By that logic, anyone who wants to take home leftovers or do takeout should be forced to bring their own Tupperware to take the food home.

As for drinking straw and takeout container, this does not have to be approach from a “forced” angle. These can be taxed or extra fee payment. Much like grocery plastic bags can be charged with a fee. It makes a lot more sense to charge extra for drinking straw and take out container than to charge grocery plastic bags.

Count me as one who does bring her own containers when she knows that there will be leftovers, especially if the restaurant uses Styrofoam. Styrofoam is the most useless material for leftover containers: it won’t seal, you can’t reheat anything in it, either in an oven or in a microwave oven, it’s not recyclable, and it takes a lot of space in the trash.

7 Likes

Here’s Why You Really Shouldn’t Clean The Wax From Your Ears

Those semi-hard clear plastic clamshell containers are a close second. They can bite the dust at any time.

4 Likes