What to do with a Costco rotisserie chicken

Stopped at Food4Less on the way to the country and got seduced once again by the rotisserie chickens. Not great but eminently edible, as a friend used to say, with mashed potatoes and faux gravy made with knorr chicken gel. No awards, but definitely comfort food.

4 Likes

I forgot about turkey or chicken Tetrazzini. Once in a while I buy a rotisserie turkey breast, since I only like the white meat; but it costs about $9.99 - $10.99.

1 Like

All you need is Marie Callender’s pie with Vanilla ice cream to go with it. Yum.

1 Like

The salt level is easily dealt with. Add a raw leg quarter or other inexpensive parts to the “Costcorcass” in the stockpot, and more water. You’ll have more stock, more gelatin, and more meat for the soup.

3 Likes

It’s rare that I buy those birds at Costco these days but when I did the carcass was added to my chicken bone bag in the freezer destined for the pressure cooker

I’ve been using leftover rotisserie or roast chicken to make Country Captain.
Also could make curried chicken salad (chicken, curry powder, mayo , lemon juice) or Coronation chicken salad- sometimes I add grapes, pineapple or mango to a West Indian curry
powder-based curried chicken salad.
I also sometimes freeze 3 oz portions of cooked chicken, to use to make a quick chicken and pasta dish, adding some Parm, evoo and/or lemon or herbs. I sometimes drain out most of the water near the end of the pasta cooking time, add the frozen chicken, and bring to a simmer, then season and serve.

2 Likes

Country Captain is such a good dish, but so seldom seen or made these days, I’d forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder!

2 Likes