What to do with 2 gallons whole milk

When I find myself with a surplus of milk, I do one of three things typically, in order of likihood:
Chowder - clam or fish. In the current heat wave, it’s not appealing at all, so I’d make yogurt in the Instant Pot. If weather was cooler, it would be baking English Muffin or Sally Lunn Bread, each of which uses about 2 cups of milk. Also, it can be frozen to either drink or use later, if space available.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

No! Food needs to be rescued, and besides, who can turn down a bargain like that? Not me! :upside_down_face:
Besides that, it’s good fodder for topics like this…

4 Likes

So…what to do with 2 gallons of yogurt?

JK, it’s just one gallon. :grinning:

7 Likes

:joy_cat::joy:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m looking up keffir too, which my DIL says is completely different from yogurt. Completely different?

Think you could make quark too @shrinkrap.

2 Likes

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KEFIR AND YOGURT

1 Like

It won’t make much of a dent but chicken tikka masala uses a yogurt based marinade. Actually, yogurt makes a dandy marinade for lots of things.

In case no one mentioned it - tzatziki.

1 Like

Excellent ideas!

Yes. Milk cultured with kefir grains.

1 Like

I love yogurt so I’d just eat my way through…

Labneh is just drained further than greek yogurt. Start there, then you can go sweet or savory.

Yogurt cheesecake is a thing.

But look up Shrikhand.

1 Like

Okay.

One gallon of milk made a little over one of those 1 litre tulip jars of strained yogurt, plus about a pint of “acid” whey.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Done!

This will be breakfast!

Couldn’t wait.

3 Likes

@shrinkrap - let me know if you’d like a good recipe for ciabatta bread using whey.

1 Like

Your yogurt looks wonderful. The first IP I ever sold was to a woman who wanted it exclusively for yogurt-making. She used in her home country and was so happy when there was a US version available to her.

1 Like

Has anyone here ever made home-made condensed milk?

1 Like

@DianaMoon, I have not.

It turns out what I had was two half gallons of milk. I realized this as I was measuring the second half-gallon for ricotta.