What Tableware Do You Run Out Of?

These are simply the best.

Cheap, too. Good even if you don’t have a disposal. Most stuff simply shouldn’t go down the drain, on purpose or accidentally.

1 Like

I have had several plumbers tell me this. Once a month, every drain in my houses, including laundry standpipes and toilets, gets a Bio-Clean treatment. I also put in a laundry lint filter downstream of the washer–incredible how much would otherwise go into my drainfields.

1 Like

Living in a high rise makes you captive to what everybody else outs in their drains - especially their kitchen ones. Ask me how I know

1 Like

Definitely teaspoons, as I sometimes use them as taster spoons. I’m only cooking for myself, except for a very occasional holiday dinner for 2-3 family members.

I can’t recall where I got my last set of stainless steel flatware - perhaps BB&B (way WAY prior to their retail store closings last year) but I had been searching for a set of 8-12 additional teaspoons to use as tasters, or whatever. Found something at Home Goods that, while they don’t match, work for me. Especially since it’s just me. Not trying to put out a full set for anyone. The cats sure as hell don’t care.

The other thing I would say I’d easily run out of if I only had 1 pair would be 9" kitchen tongs. But once I found ones I liked, I bought 3-4 additional one-handed locking tongs (again, at BB&B) that unlock when you point them down, and lock when you point them up. Similar to these Rösle Stainless Steel 9-inch One-Handed Locking Tongs on Amazon, but NOT at that price. So I have 5 of the 9" and one 12" locking tongs. Excessive? Perhaps. But since I don’t run the dishwasher every night, I’m able to put multiple tongs in there and still have several to use.

HOWEVER
the dishwasher is broken, and I haven’t gotten around to replacing it, so for now, everything gets hand washed. I’m hoping to remedy that in the next few weeks.

3 Likes

I have used a few different versions of these. Currently, I like this version the most (the one in your photo). The plastic one tends to grow mold and blacken over time. I tried a few solutions, but they did not help. The mesh one has better water flow and better for filtering out smaller particles. However, the mesh one is more difficult to clean.

1 Like

I used mesh ones like this for years. Now I think the perforated SS ones work better, clean better and last indefinitely.

Never heard that term. Had to look it up.

"The typical five o’clock spoon is 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 inches in length. It is a spoon reserved for an afternoon formal coffee or tea - hence ‘five o’clock’.

Most more expensive modern sets still offer demitasse spoons for purchase, but the five o’clock spoon has slowly disappeared over time, and especially since the 1960s."

I’m probably going to get knocked for this but here goes. In at least the last 20 years I’ve not owned any set of “flatware.” It’s all been plastic forks plates etc. It’s convenient for me and helps keep down the kitchen mess.

Yes, the mesh ones are difficult to clean. Mesh or tiny holes, I prefer metal.

Some European “teaspoons” are in fact shorter; my sterling 5 o’clock spoons have all been amassed over the years via eBay and the like. I keep some out in a spooner.

I keep a bunch of disposable little wooden/bamboo spoons for tasting spoons

2 Likes

I got 20 place settings and 2 server sets (pierced spoon, large fork) when I bought my stainless flatware 36 years ago. Also 1 gravy ladle and 1 large closed serving spoon (often wish I had a 2nd but not going to shop for one at this late date). The “soup spoons” are oval, not round, and get used for everything - cereal, soup, serving any side dish or garnish, stirring/tasting while cooking and are the most likely to all be in the dishwasher at once.

My set of everyday smaller beverage glasses is down to 3 survivors, and an Ikea shopping trip for replacements is likely. But not urgent – plenty of other larger glasses in the house.

I am sure Ikea is terrific, but our Duralex tumblers and juice glasses have held up beautifully for decades. Highly recommended, as are Duralex bowls. When the freak breakage occurs fro being dropped on a tile floor, the pieces are not sharp.

2 Likes

Thanks for that suggestion. It looks like my favorite 8 oz simple glass (4.5 in tall, 2.5 in diameter) may no longer be stocked ; I’ll have to shop in person to be sure. In which case I may upgrade from my $1 per glass set to a $4- $6 per glass Duralex set. Great colors available.

1 Like

For me it’s mugs and teaspoons. The top rack of the dishwasher is always full of mugs, waiting for some plates to make a full load. I have an extra jar of mismatched teaspoons I use to stir and to feed the cats but I still run out.

1 Like

That’s a lot of landfill.

3 Likes

I have the tumblers in various sizes. Never have had to replace any.

2 Likes

This is interesting. Someone should do a thread about DW use idiosynchrasies.

One of my peeves is someone loading the DW with dirty without checking to see if there’s clean inside. We have a system, but following it isn’t assured

It’s not a problem at home as I live alone and only run my DW about once a week. At work, however, the (gross, ancient) dishwasher has always got a mix of clean and dirty dishes. So nasty.

The method used in many restaurants of keeping a small tub of water, presumably with a bit of Dawn or the like, into which dirty utensils are tossed. They are easy to wash since they have been soaking, basically just a hot water rinse. Toss 'em into a clean dry tub to air dry.

2 Likes