What’s the kitchen task you dislike most of all?

I really hate cleaning my Staub ECI grill pan, but I only use it 6-8 times a year, so no big problem.

I only eat a few types of fish and no seafood (I’m allergic) - preferably dover sole and turbot and have these cut and rinsed by my local fish shop.
But from reading the posts here, I feel lucky not having to mess with scales and the stink from creatures from the ocean :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re so cute.

Every home project I’ve done seems to turn into 2-3 or more separate subprojects.

I’ve decided that those exterior grease stains are a sign of character and evidence of vigorous use. A badge to be retained, if you will.

1 Like

YES! Cleaning that pan. I roast chicken just about every week, and I despise that task.

My grandfather used to boil a kettle of water and pour the water over the dishes and pans he had washed and rinsed. (There was no dishwasher). We don’t know why he did this; probably a habit from his young years on a farm - if there was hot water there , it probably came from a tank attached to,and heated by, the wood burning stove. Or, he was just being fastidious. Just like he was in everything else. My dishes, too, go into the dishwasher definitely scraped and seriously rinsed. I have a garbage can for the scraped stuff; I can’t imagine putting it in the dishwasher.

1 Like

Nice scaling technique, but the Mrs. would be pretty ticked if I cleaned them in the house. It’d be one thing if it were only one fish. Processing 25 bluegills gets old. No scaling, though. This is why I adore trout. No need to scale. But, the downside is, they live in creeks, always moving, so there’s no fat. Also, it’s my opinion that , if you catch a trout, take it out of water, it will die after you release it. They need to constantly eat to live, and those few precious calories they burned while struggling in your hands, out of water, will take pretty much all they’ve got. Catch your two and move on.

1 Like

@Meekah @DaBadger Reminding me I haven’t roasted a chicken in too long (I switched to part bec they’re both a better deal around me and also easier to handle and portion out).

It’s interesting that even when the pan is lined, the gunk gets baked on in the corners and gets under the parchment or foil.

Potatoes or other vegetables underneath help, but it’s never not a pain!

I guess I was thinking of food prep when I posed the original question, but it’s interesting how many folks do a lot more comprehensive prep than I would ever think to (whole fish that you caught yourself for many, @damiano’s mention of rabbit, many more).

In the cleaning kitchen items category, I have to agree with @small_h and @Claus on the grill pan. I got all excited about a cute enameled one on deep sale, but every time I use it, I curse. Yes, grill marks - pretty! But also - splatter! Stuck-on gunk to scrape out later! I think I pull it out twice a year - maybe.

(I’ve cleaned the dishwasher filter, but the washing machine grosses me out a lot more between the lint, the grossness that builds in the soap compartment, and the frequent mold smell if it’s not left open for hours and hours. Sigh.)

1 Like

I have a front load washer, which of course has a seal around the door. I leave it open 24/7 unless I am actually washing.

2 Likes

Yep. This.
Really ridiculous.

Not sure what you mean, care to expound?

Okay, this one isn’t gross but it’s incredibly annoying - getting odors out of silicone.

It’s happened with ice cube trays in the freezer (especially when used to portion-freeze things with strong flavors) and the ring in the instant pot and pressure cooker. But the most annoying of all was when a friend’s cleaning lady used highly perfumed hand soap to wash my used-all-the-time silicone cupcake liners after we made mini quiches in them.

The lavender was so deeply embedded I thought I’d never get it out, so I bought another set. But I did eventually get it out - just took ages and trying every technique suggested on the internet.

I would be surprised if the dishwasher didn’t do this. Have you tried the “sanitize” option (if yours has one)?

I call that “Magic Grease”. I can’t figure it out.

I can have 2 layers of foil completely covering and up the sides, and afterwards, with no visible holes (even holding the back (cleaner) layer of foil up to a strong light and inspecting), the danged grease still gets onto the pan surface.

Magic Grease.

2 Likes

Boiling water.

To me it’s the worst of two things: waste of space (stovetop) and time

It’s why I have a hot water dispenser. Hot water on tap is a game-changer.

2 Likes

I have at times resorted to disposable broiler pans with a grease-absorbing internal layer. Only if it’s a very small chicken does it work. I’ve tried parchment and foil both; it’s wishful thinking. Might keep the chicken from sticking, but that’s about it.

Interesting. I have thought about one of these, but the ones with a decent built-in filter are pricey. I use filtered water for tea, soups, and just about anything else where a lot of water is actually in the dish (but not pasta water).

Does your unit have a filter in front of it?

I have a home installed unit from Emerson.

Cool… but pricey here (close to a $grand).

Plucking the residual feathers on a kosher chicken is certainly high on the list for me.