What’s on your mind?

LOL! :joy: You’re astute!!

1 Like

We had it under control until some opposition political thugs started protests using some workers in Colombo after which it soared to almost 200 deaths a day. Until then it was like 10 or 20 a day at the most. Some people are trying political games during the pandemic.

I would say it’s a great idea to visit Sri Lanka. There’s a lot to see, and most importantly the sites are almost empty, so you’ll be able to enjoy them better. You;ll love the train ride from Kandy to Ella. Ella was just a tiny village with a few shops and houses long ago.No one got off in Ella except for an estate labourer going home. Today the most popular train station :slight_smile: I’ve written a little bit about it in the website, you’ll find.

Sri Lankan food is spicy, and tourists love it. But what’s sold in the normal eatery is really hot, loads of pepper, lol.
I don’t know when the country will get back to normal, but when it does, it will be a great place to visit. If you decide to visit I can help you in planning it. And when you are here we can have a chat over a hot cup of tea :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The weirdest thing about typing on my mobile phone is…not typing, but deleting it.
e.g. I type hungryonion and I find that I’ve typed hungryonean. So I quickly delete the last 3 letters and type “ion”
The final product, it reveals only when I’ve already hit the send button, is “hungryoneanlllion”
Because the backspace is very close to letter “l” and the 3 backspaces type lll and I add the ion.

4 Likes

RIP Charlie Watts, your incredible talent will live on. Thanks for the memories. :tongue: RS rock forever!

7 Likes

A very good friend is unexpectedly in the hospital, and will remain there until surgery is performed and he recovers sufficiently. It’s pretty major, but he is in good hands, thankfully.

I’m making food to take to his family, and will deliver the first of my efforts tomorrow. Will be taking over baked rice, taco/burrito meat, tortillas, shredded cheeses, and a nice, big salad. Also some homemade salsa and aji verde. Maybe cookies or brownies, but we will see…hoping for the best outcome, worrisome…

7 Likes

I had no idea that he was suffering from Cancer.

I read about this passing away on The Guardian last night.

R.I.P. Charlie Watts.

2 Likes

Yes, The Guardian did a nice write up! A morning news show aired a good tribute as well. He was kind of a reluctant rock star apparently, but also seemed to enjoy making music with the band. Very happy I was able to see him X2 before it was too late…

2 Likes

Oh my, that is a fantastic picture!

2 Likes

Gianni Righi is a dear friend of my husband, both professional authors and photographers.

Yes, it is quite an old photo too. I posted it in rememberance of the deceased …

Thank you … I will tell Gianni.

1 Like

I recall there was a Sri Lankan restaurant in Boston some time ago…was it called “String Hopper?” Or maybe they were known for their rendition of string hopper. Sadly, I don’t think it’s still around and I never visited.

My family and I would be very interested in visiting Sri Lanka once our little guy has worked his way up to long-haul travel.

Edited to add: I couldn’t Google when I posted this…It was called Suvaai in Cambridge and it looks like they are still open although they are serving mostly Indian cuisine. Perhaps the Sri Lankan cuisine was not attracting enough customers.

2 Likes

In Tarragona on coast until tomorrow as we are heading home …

STOPPED AT LA BOELLA AGAIN, A FAVOURITE SPOT WHICH IS ALSO A WINERY AND AN OLIVE ORCHARD WITH A SMALL HOTEL SPA.

5 Likes

I was not really a Rolling Stones fan, but I’ve always loved this story, and saw it in The New Yorker today.

“There is a gleefully oft-repeated story that, apocryphal or not, seems to neatly encapsulate their dynamic: at the end of a night out partying in Amsterdam, a drunken Jagger called Watts’s hotel room and demanded, “Where’s my drummer?” Watts rose from bed, shaved, changed into a sharp Savile Row suit, slapped on some cologne, and knocked on Jagger’s door. When Richards opened it, Watts walked past him and spat at Jagger, “Never call me your drummer again,” then punched him in the face. Richards described the aftermath of the event in “Life”: “Mick fell back onto a silver platter of smoked salmon and began to slide toward the open window and the canal below it.” Richards grabbed Jagger by the lapel of his jacket before he disappeared out the window entirely. It took Richards twenty-four hours to talk Watts out of punching him again. Watts wasn’t anyone’s hired hand, and he knew it.”

8 Likes

I’ve never heard this story @shrinkrap, but I do love it and thanks for posting. I have a copy of Keith’s Life, and I must get to reading it; this little story is nudging, no shoving me, in that direction. :tongue:

2 Likes

Yes please do pass on my admiration to him. He captured them in the full bloom of their beautiful and mature youth, it seems. As well as their joy and camaraderie.

2 Likes

Oh my. Have never heard this however, though I have enjoyed some of their songs, I have never been a fan either.

1 Like

Barca, you seem to be mistaken about the photo you posted upthread of Charlie Watts and Mick Jagger. That fabulous photograph was taken by American photographer Aaron Rapoport. I stumbled upon this fact as I was scrolling through a Guardian photo gallery.
Here:

I think it’s important to all of us, that creative outputs are attributed correctly to the artist.

Here’s a link to Aaron Rapoport’s website, in case anyone wishes to view more of his iconic pictures. The photo wrongly attributed to Barca’s friend up thread, is in the top row.
[Aaron Rapaport Photo of Charlie Watts and Mick Jagger](https://Aaron Rapaport Photo of Charlie Watts and Mick Jagger)

7 Likes

Got the second dose of vaccine4 days ago. It was terrible. Fever and pain two whole days. But that’s better than Covid death.

8 Likes

HERE is the functional link to the American photographer who captured the iconic photo of Charlie Watts and Mick Jagger:
https://classicrockphotography.jp/photographer-slug/aaron-rapoport/

If interested in seeing Aaron’s photos, just scroll down.

2 Likes

Was this my happy hour yesterday, my scenery, or vacation? NO, NO, NO, but I wish!! DD2 & hubs are in SD; the drinks and food imbibed and nibbled at The Grass Skirt. Am I living vicariously - YES!! But I’m pet sitting the two grand kitties who hiss at me, but at least, there’s that! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

It seems like a nice day to watch movies….

3 Likes