What’s on your mind?

Beautiful!

2 Likes

My boyz. Who are seen on the WFD threads often.

Alfie often decides than Finnegan needs a late evening bath. And holds him in place by lying on top of him while his head and face get washah-washah’d.

Finny loves empty bathroom cabinets while I’m getting ready for work in the morning.

And Alfalfa is a goof when he sits. And my Fat Boy Slim Shady.

9 Likes

I’ve mentioned I’m a big Winston Churchill fan and whenever people post pictures of their pets I’m reminded of this quote:

Dogs look up to us and cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals.
-W. Churchill

7 Likes

I love this saying. I repeat it quite often. Husband’s best quote is “Everyone is a pig. You have to find the level of pig you can live with.”

4 Likes

He’s in bad need of an orthodontist. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

I think some cultures- French and Greek in my experience, and part of my own background, are not necessarily that interested in the pursuit of happiness. :rofl:

Don’t most of those Scandinavian countries have higher than average rates of alcoholism and depression than other countries that didn’t make the happiness list?

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly why I asked - the importance or pursuit of “happiness” isn’t a universal truth across cultures.

3 Likes

Technical Box 1: Measuring Subjective Well-Being.

Our measurement of subjective well-being continues to rely on three main well-being indicators: life evaluations, positive emotions, and negative emotions (described in the report as positive and negative affect). Happiness rankings are based on life evaluations as the more stable measure of the quality of people’s lives. In World Happiness Report 2022, we pay special attention, as we did in World Happiness Report 2021, to specific daily emotions (the components of positive and negative affect) to better track how COVID-19 has altered different aspects of life.

Life evaluations . The Gallup World Poll, which remains the principal source of data in this report, asks respondents to evaluate their current life as a whole using the mental image of a ladder, with the best possible life for them as a 10 and worst possible as a 0. Each respondent provides a numerical response on this scale, referred to as the Cantril ladder. Typically, around 1,000 responses are gathered annually for each country. Weights are used to construct population-representative national averages for each year in each country. We base our national happiness rankings on a three-year average, thereby increasing the sample size to provide more precise estimates.

Positive emotions . Positive affect is given by the average of individual yes or no answers for three questions about emotions experienced or not on the previous day: laughter, enjoyment, and learning or doing something interesting (for details, see Technical Box 2).

Negative emotions. Negative affect is given by the average of individual yes or no answers about three emotions experienced on the previous day: worry, sadness, and anger.

Comparing life evaluations and emotions:

• Life evaluations provide the most informative measure for international comparisons because they capture quality of life in a more complete and stable way than emotional reports based on daily experiences.

• Life evaluations differ more between countries than emotions and are better explained by the widely differing life experiences in different countries. Emotions experienced the previous day are well explained by events of the day being asked about, while life evaluations more closely reflect the circumstances of life’s circumstances. We show later in the chapter that emotions are significant supports for life evaluations and provide essential insights into how the quality of life has changed during COVID-19 for people in different life circumstances.[1]

• Positive emotions are more than twice as frequent as negative emotions. Looking at last year’s data, the global average of positive emotions was 0.66 (i.e., the average respondent experienced 2 of the 3 positive emotions the previous day) compared to the global average of 0.29 for negative emotions.

3 Likes

One friend who is part Russian, calls one element of what he sees in his own culture and a few other Eastern European cultures Slavic Despair. If anyone has seen Czech opera, it falls into Slavic Despair.

I see it in some Balkan cultures, too.

1 Like

While money may not buy happiness it certainly does buy a better class of misery.

2 Likes

Money may not buy happiness but poverty can’t buy anything.

8 Likes

Love it! Lol

1 Like

I think emotional well-being could be improved right here in our community if contributors would stop using “sad” as a catch-all description of anything that is remotely negative.

“Sadly, they were out of the special.”
“Sadly, the restaurant was closed when we got there.”
“Sadly, the entree was overcooked.”
“I was so sad they wouldn’t deliver the cupcakes for the birthday party.”

There is nothing remotely sad about any of these scenarios. Disappointing or frustating maybe, but not sad. We all agree there’s enough real sadness in the world. There’s no need to manifest it unnecessarily, particularly if it concerns a pizza or a pork chop or a bowl of ramen, even as a joke. Our spirits can’t tell the difference.

1 Like

Clearly they are not from Finland.

2 Likes

Thank you. My food group other than chowhound loves cutey writing: seester, scramblee, chicken boobie, sammie, shrimpie, etc. When I beg and I do mean beg, our mod who loves the cutesy too scolds me big time for saying enough with the cute. One popular member does restaurant reviews for the SF area You seem to be a kindred spirit so thanks again. I hate hate hate to say it but my wfd group is almost all female. The few male members do not do this and neither does our best female cook. If anyone has the right to use cutesy, use caps and start with an explanation point she does. Her food speaks for itself and she is a goddess.

1 Like

But wait - disparaging them here is OK? That seems rather unfair to do so if they don’t get to respond here because they didn’t see your comment.

And “the right to use cutesy” phrasing? HUH? Since WHEN should anyone not have a right to use what phrasing they wish?

I guess what I’m saying is if you don’t like the phrasing that some people use, and don’t like that mostly women post there, why not just leave the group?

10 Likes

Dear Audrey,

As the WFD mod who “scolds” you because you consistently try to police the members of our group regarding the use of terms they like to use, I should perhaps remind you that membership in our group isn’t mandatory.

The fact that you feel the need to bitch about me and other members in this forum tells me that perhaps you are better off here (or in one of your kewl gamer forums) where you can tell endless & pointless stories about CDC, or fan girl over Jim Leff as you like to do in our group where nobody could care less.

Please, if you hate it so much - do yourself a favor and leave <3

Kiss, kiss,
Your cutesy, scoldy Mod

7 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Bye.

1 Like

I hope you’re not leaving HO in its entirety, @Gourmanda.

1 Like