What’s on your mind?

I once had an old New Braunfels smoker which was just ok as a smoker, but it was great for pizza and grilling if I built the fire on the floor of the smoking chamber rather than in the fire box. Anyway, the NB eventually died. My gas grill may not get as hot (I don’t have an infrared thermometer), but it gets hot enough to make good pizza. I put my stone on top of three half bricks on the grill. This reduces overhead space and makes the top cook better. It also get the stone a little farther from the direct heat. I may break down and get a steel some day, but so far my thirty year old stone works well enough.

2 Likes

I’m getting older . I heard a elderly Russian woman say . You drink and smoke you die . You don’t drink and smoke you die .

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

After several days of cold weather and about half a million Austin residents without power as the result of the ice storm, the return of warmer weather is welcome, but life for many is still challenging. Our HEB was selling only dry goods due to loss of refrigeration. On the bright side, it was my cheapest grocery bill ever. I got tortillas and popcorn. There is little reason to go out, and that is a good thing. There are so many fallen trees and large branches that driving is challenging even when the ice has gone.

5 Likes

Ugh . . . ice storms are so much worse than snow storms, But popcorn tacos could be interesting? At least with the right wine\beer selection.

Stay safe!

2 Likes

Corn on corn!

2 Likes

And stay out of the food brawls! https://www.yahoo.com/news/250-person-fight-breaks-over-195226712.html

3 Likes

For those frigid mornings. I like to warm my clothes in the dryer before putting them on .

4 Likes

Looks like canned foods. While some may eat them, others might sell them. Especially if it were here in my country. Lol.
I knew a guy who worked at a well known cake company here. He was a sales representative. When he collects the expired cakes, what he does is cut a bad cake into two, and put it in two packets, and take the other cake. Because the company accepts even half the cake if it is a return. Because a customer might return it that way.
However, he used to put the stolen cakes in fresh covers and stamp a later expiry date and sell them.
The company shut down long ago though.

3 Likes

Wonder how the cakes tasted? Good enough to sustain his side business :thinking:

2 Likes

This is encouraging, that you (and others, I assume) deal with your circumstances and find a way to thrive.

Stay safe, Tim Old Man.

1 Like

All is back to a semblance of normal. Things like this really make you thankful for the many good things that grace your life, not taking them for granted. There are still a lot of people dealing with the cold and no way to cook, some every day. Life gets more and more precarious these days.

3 Likes

This couple come there everyday, and make a huge noise hammering on the hollow railings and window glasses with their oversized beaks. Took this at a friend’s house.

14 Likes

Lowering the national flag at the Galle Face.

2 Likes

Just to let you know, there’s a 2023 thread that supercedes this one.

1 Like

My bad. I’ll search for it.

Yeah I think @gaffk Kim was thinking to lock this one at some point.

You are correct @CCE I meant to lock this thread and redirect to the 2023 thread What's On Your Mind 2023

50-50–not a good score unless you look at it as I’m batting .500?

Thanks for the reminder!

5 Likes