What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

Tonight’s dinner was udon noodles with peanut sauce and sliced cucumber, garnished with hot chili oil and chopped peanuts.

17 Likes

Fish tacos, nachos, and leftover slaw (not pictured). Yeah, I had tacos last night, too. Never enough tacos.

20 Likes

When you have striped bass that was in the water less than 24 hours beforehand the only thing to have is ceviche. Since I didn’t have enough of any one kind I made a three-citrus marinade that also included cilantro, red onion, jalapeños and splash of olive oil. Served with fried mountain dried cancha corn.

23 Likes

Braised artichokes with tomato, jalapeño, olive, and capers, roasted trout fillets, and grits. Artichokes recipe via Rick Bayless in More Mexican Everyday.

18 Likes

Cheeborger night at casa lingua: Aldi’s 75/25 Wagyu ground beef, havarti & ‘murrcan cheese, red onion, lettuce, pickle, a lil Duke’s and ketchup.

L&W fries with more ketchup & Kewpie.

20 Likes

aw, thanks for asking. Yes, pretty much, except i do get sleepy earlier lately - been sleeping a lot more still, but i feel fine during the day.

i will report on BCN this week, thanks!

3 Likes

Chicken veg soup. Warm bread and butter. There is small little gem wedges and creamy Greek dressing under the pile of sun sugars, from the garden, avocado, red onion and parsley. Cocktail was a Manhattan.

20 Likes

I bought Mexican longaniza, which i mistook for Filipino longanisa but it was still good. I really love the sweetness of the Filipino sausage, so I’m going to hunt some own. I’d say Mexican longaniza is similar to Mexican chorizo but perhaps not quite as salty, a little less oily. Sauteed it with onions, a few leftover minced criminis and cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and a bunch of Jimmy Nardello peppers my sister got from one of her clients. I also made sinangag (Filipino garlic fried rice) to go with, which omg i love so so so much. BF made a salad with the client’s cukes, and fried up a bunch of the client’s shishitos (that garden just keeps on giving!), which I thought would be too much but we ate them all, they were so good. All in all a very satisfying, homey dinner.

20 Likes

Leftover French onion soup from the freezer. Croutons from home-baked bread with gruyere. Leftover grilled chicken on a bed of garden romaine with homemade Caesar dressing.

24 Likes

Asparagus-potato salad with a scallions, olive oil, white vinegar and mustard vinaigrette. Served with an avocado-creme fraiche dip and sausages

15 Likes

Feel like I’ve said this a lot lately: “First post in forever”. A busy schedule has left me without the will to cook and/or photograph as much as I’d like to over the last month or so. But here we are.

Steak Fajitas. Couldn’t find a skirt or flank at the market, so a sirloin had to do. Marinated it in sofrito, soy sauce, dry vermouth, olive oil, lime juice, Adobo, Sazon, and garlic. As the peppers and onions were frying, I stirred in more sofrito and Adobo as well as cilantro. Not traditional additions for a fajita but it worked. Not pictured are grilled flour tortillas and rice/beans.

To drink: vodka rocks followed by a vodka club. Both with lime.

24 Likes

Perfect Comfort Food for chilly weather! It’ll get down to 34° in my area of New England tonight, although daytime temps are sticking in the low 50s for a couple of days - then back up to 70°. It’s yo-yo weather time here!

Now I want meatloaf and mashed. :smiley:

5 Likes

Experimented with a pork roast and shawarma spices. The pork was moist. I guess I like Oregano/Garlic/Rosemary/Lemon or Porchetta-type Fennel/Garlic/ Rosemary/Sage a little more. Toum on the side, braised carrots, maritime molasses baked beans. Pasteis de natas for dessert.

Those are the last potatoes from my garden.

I think I will turn the leftovers into coronation pork.

22 Likes

It was tasty! Although this morning, it is a balmy 31 here. Even colder than yesterday when it was snowing! I swear we went from summer, to smoke, to about 2 weeks of weather in the 50s, and now we’re in winter. No fall at all.

I made an entirely inappropriate for cold weather dinner yesterday, which was delicious. Banbanji (room temp shredded poached chicken w/cukes, peppers, scallions, in a sesame paste dressing) and TJs scallion pancakes.

4 Likes

I made these beans for lunch today. Used regular green beans. Followed this recipe: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/turkish-braised-green-beans-5194279 but forgot to add the sugar, will retrofit it to the leftovers. It was really great.
Cooked on stovetop for about 45 minutes.

I just loved these.

I agree that potatoes might seem unnecessary unless you are running short of green beans and have extra potatoes.

8 Likes

Glad you liked it. Personally I would never add sugar, nor would I add cinnamon, but it worked for you so that’s great!!

1 Like

It tasted great without sugar. So I may not add it.

I love cinnamon in savory applications so was happy to try that.

3 Likes

I made a breaded pork chop and pre-prepped scalloped potatoes. The latter were way tastier than they had any right to be. No veg. Does wine (Viognier) count?

20 Likes

Potatoes and wine both count!

8 Likes

Mrs. P made chicken pesto pasta with Trader Joe’s pesto chicken cutlets. She added more homemade pesto, pine nuts, mushrooms, garlic, and sautéed red onions. It was topped with some fresh shaved parmigiana reggiano cheese.

17 Likes