What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

More grilled cheese. Roasted pumpkin. Baked apple slices.

Fruit and veg from the garden.

19 Likes

Thanks for this! I have a giant CSA butternut to use.

It’s SOOO good! Let me know if you like it.

1 Like

Soba noodles with shiitake and oyster mushrooms, asparagus, baby corn, red onions, chili and garlic in a quick sauce made from soy sauce, oyster sauce, lime juice and a little bit brown sugar.

17 Likes

We ran out of turkey dinner leftovers so I had to cook tonight! I keep going back to McBitty’s Bean Burgers – to date, my favorite easy black bean burger recipe. Topped them with some pickled red onion, salsa verde, and feta, on TJ’s burger buns. Lemony fennel slaw on the side.

11 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Pineapple Coconut Chicken Breasts over saffron rice with chopped broccoli. I used my old pressure cooker to cook & infuse the cubed chicken then added a cornstarch slurry to thicken up the sauce. It was delicious!!

15 Likes

I finally cooked (after 2 nights of Thanksgiving leftovers and a night of a friend cooking).

Comfort food - rice, “trevti” (3-types-mixed) dal, garlic green beans, and mustard salmon.

The dal + salmon turned out to be overkill because they are both flavor bombs, but I needed something wet with the rice and dry-prep fish.

Green beans turned out surprisingly great – from frozen, in the wok, they steamed a bit and then charred nicely.

7 Likes

Yum! Is this a different dish than what we call just plain beef chow fun (in nyc anyway)? Tried my hand at that a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised that good char could be achieved!

Love the combination of roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprouts in a warm salad!

3 Likes

I guess so?!

Forgot pics:

18 Likes

Whats fully loaded cauliflower?

" Aka-Oni - Izakaya & Sake Bar, Times Square, Richmond Hill " - Attractive and reasonably priced suites of luncheon Bento-box style set-menus, featuring some nicely executed, higher-end ingredients.

Today, long standing ex-chowhounder ‘Skyliner33’ and I met up and had an very enjoyable mini-chowmeet. For food, we both chose the $23 Bento-box offering of ’ Gyoza & Fresh fruits, Tempura Lobster ( the real McCoy! ) & vegetables plus Teriyaki striploin ( albeit a bit thin…but very tasty though! ). These were accompanied by Miso clam soup, House salad with Japanese ginger dressing and Yuzu ice-cream dessert…my 10% discount membership card even applies!

Overall a very pleasant luncheon experience…reservation a must!!

13 Likes

Beans/greens/vodka sounds great. Please share your recipe or method? I haven’t found a vodka sauce recipe yet that I like. But I like it in the restaurants on the rare occasion when I get it.

1 Like

Just like a fully loaded baked potato. To nuked cauliflower I add butter, sour cream, green onion, sharp cheddar and bacon bits.

2 Likes

Try your hand at a dim sum turnip cake with ham?

1 Like

Another idea: if you are up for a project, try shalgam (=turnip in Hindi/Urdu) parathas (=stuffed wholewheat flatbreads). I have not tried making these myself so cannot suggest a specific recipe link, but Google and Youtube are full of recipes for shalgam paratha.

Eat the parathas with yogurt and chutney for dips, or raita.

You can always modify the paratha recipe by adding ingredients to the stuffing along with turnips, e.g. mashed potatoes, grated cauliflower, paneer, grated hard boiled eggs, etc.

One suggested hack: if you don’t feel like (a) making the dough (b) making the stuffing (c) rolling, filling, rerolling, then toasting; then you can just mix the vegetables into the flour and make the dough all-in-one, then roll and toast.

3 Likes

I use a NYT recipe for guidance, although am prone to cut back on the tomato paste in favor of a couple of chopped tomatoes from the garden.

If you can’t access NYT, I can paraphrase.

1 Like

Thank you. I don’t have a subscription.

It’s quick and easy:

3 T. olive oil

1 yellow onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, chopped

Kosher salt

6 oz. tomato paste

¼ c. vodka

½ t. red pepper flakes

2 15-oz. can beans, drained but not rinsed

1 bunch kale, roughly chopped

¼ c. heavy cream.

Grated Parm, as needed

In a large Dutch oven, saute onions and garlic with a little salt until soft – 3-5 minutes. Add tomato paste, vodka and red pepper flakes. Cook until tomato paste caramelizes and starts to stick to the bottom of the pot – 2-3 minutes. Add 2 c. water, the beans and the kale. Season with salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is flavorful and kale is tender – 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Taste, and if more salt is required, add some grated Parm. Serve with more Parm on top.

5 Likes