What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

We were tired of Thanksgiving food in its various incarnations so I took some striped bass out of the freezer. Mr Bean found a recipe for a fish tagine, and since I had everything on hand, it worked out well. You marinate the fish in a mix of parsley, cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice, ginger, sweet paprika (I would use smoked next time) and saffron. Then, you poach the fish in a sauce of tomatoes, onions, garlic, cumin, olives, and preserved lemons. I served it over a pearled couscous blend I found in the back of the pantry and roasted carrots and parsnips.

19 Likes

Last night’s dinner was the last of the Turkey Day leftovers.

Tonight: grilled Havarti and cheddar on cranberry-walnut bakery bread. Garden romaine with homemade Caesar dressing.

16 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Fiorentini restaurant in Rutherford, NJ including risotto with Fall squash, crispy mushrooms, and Fresno chili; honey nut squash agnolotti with soppressata, sage, gorgonzola, and amaretto; octopus with potato chorizo croquette; and burrata with pappa al pomodoro. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and cabernet.

10 Likes

We have incarnations in our refrigerator and I’m not looking forward to revving them - it’s only the two of us and a 14 lb turkey. How often do we have to visit it?

2 Likes

I finally decided to freeze what I had left including 2 carved off but unsliced breast pieces and another batch of stock. We had two 14 pound turkeys for 10 people so there were LOTS of leftovers.

2 Likes

We took a ribeye out of the freezer to thaw for dinner tonight. I can’t face turkey again. DH made stock overnight - we have it banked in our freezer now for soup this winter.

16 Likes

Last night was TJ’s kung pao augmented with doubanjiang, carrots, zucchini, and scallion, served over cauli-jasmine rice. It was just OK - some of the chicken was gristly and didn’t have the right texture/fresh flavor. Last time I think I ate this with a ton of chili crisp. Slicing turnips in vinaigrette on the side.

17 Likes

Nappa cabbage soup from chicken stock with mushrooms (button and crimini), tomatoes, and seitan

14 Likes

Of course! Here it is:

* 1/2 lb pancetta or bacon
* 2 T olive oil
* 1 T butter
* 4 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
* 1/4 cup white wine
* 1/lb thin spaghetti
* 3 eggs
* 1/4 cup pecorino romano
* 1/2 cub parmesan
* black pepper
* 2 T parsley, finely chopped

Cut the pancetta into small dice.

Put the oil, butter, and crushed garlic into a saucepan or small saute pan and set heat to medium high. When the garlic becomes colored a deep gold, remove and discard it.

Add pancetta or bacon to the pan and saute until it begins to crisp at the edges. Add the wine and let it boil off for a minute or two, then turn off the heat.

Cook the spaghetti salted water.

In a large serving bowl, beat the three eggs, then mix in the grated cheeses, black pepper, and parsley.

Once the spaghetti is al dente, drain it and then toss well with the egg mixture. Toss rapidly and thoroughly until it is well coated.

Reheat pancetta quickly over high heat, then pour contents of skillet over the spaghetti, and mix again. Serve immediately.

3 Likes

We still out here with the turkey day leftovers!

19 Likes

I’d eat that.

1 Like

Trying to cook down the freezer and pantry stores. Tonight I made Swiss Steak with cube steak from my FIL’s cow share. We have cut way back on beef as a rule, but at least this is local and raised well. Looks a mess, but it sure was good. I wasn’t raised eating this dish but cobbled something together from various recipes with my usual hacks.

Lemony peas alongside.

22 Likes

My 5-yo son told me this afternoon, after I cooked, that my hand smelled like onions. I was suitably impressed by his detective abilities. And he was right.

11 Likes

Fish and rice stew with tomato, mushrooms, and artichokes. I used about 2 cups of the Marcella Hazan tomato and onion sauce (freezer find!) as the base. Dinner was originally going to be tod mun pla burgers, but decided I didn’t have the energy. Ended up with a tasty one pot meal with leftovers for tomorrow.

23 Likes

" Richmond Hill Foodie YU’s rendition of Hong Kong’s Michelin 1* Ho-Hung-Kee - Gone Chau-Ngau-Ho "
So proud of myself!

Just made myself at home, a ’ Gone-Chau-Ngau-Ho ’ ( aka Stirred fried beef with flat rice noodle ‘Ho-Fun’ )…so yummy and worthy of bragging about it!! ( IMHO, better tasting than at least 90% of GTA’s Chinese restaurant rendition!😁 ).

Managed to achieve really good sear and caramelization of the beef, some smoky ‘wok-hay’ aroma. Kicking up of the dish by adding a generous amount of aromatic yellow chives at the end of the cooking process really made a lot of difference!😋😋😋

20 Likes

One of my favorites. Did you follow a recipe?

So many different renditions! Therefore decided to ’ half wing it ’ and half applying basic Cantonese cooking skill/method. The secret is NOT to overcook bean sprouts, scallions and yellow chives ( adding the latter at the very end ). Also, cooked beef to 75% done first, remove from heat for adding to noodles at a later stage.
Kind of like cooking Ratatouille the proper way, by cooking ingredients separately and timing the process accordingly.
Try searching on Youtube!! Tons of illustrations!

4 Likes

A break from leftovers. I made a mini meatloaf with ketchup/salsa sauce. Fully loaded cauliflower, onion, cucumber, tomato salad with oo & v dressing, dried basil. Bourbon and ginger ale cocktail and wine. Now I have more leftovers.

13 Likes

I’m so far behind… suffice to say we ate a lot at my sister’s in the last 5 or so days. we had a record-breaking 28 dogs at her house (she boards dogs for a living.)

I made the Serious Eats spatchcocked turkey with herbed mayo on and under the skin - turned out great, would do again - a sherry/bourbon sweet potato puree, Momofuku brussels sprouts, sausage stuffing with a bit of chopped dates, and my sister made a Thomas Keller buttery/silky potato puree.

i made another gravlax that turned out great, despite having cured it with Amaretto instead of bourbon! You couldn’t taste the booze at all, and i made it with beets again for the lovely color and a slight earthiness.

On Sat. at my sister’s we had a Snake River rib eye filet we split, with more of those taters and a big salad I made with lots of crunchy greens, anchovies, toasted walnuts, and shaved pecorino romano. i got the bloody juices of the steak all over the plate and on the mashed so no pic cuz it looked like murder. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

went to a new friend’s home for holiday lunch yesterday. The guy’s a home chef gourmet (the kind that likes projects, like makes his own soy sauce, etc.) and the food was very good. Started out with smoked duck and a foie gras mousse, and other nibbles and champagne. Beautifully set table - super eclectic dinnerware/silverware/glassware, which i loved. Dinner was mostly North African-ish: a lamb broth to start, another soup for a pescatarian guest that had black garbanzos in it, and a roasted salmon for same guy, lamb stew with cardoons, cinnamon beets with feta, an eggplant/zucchini dish, homemade harissa, and two homemade pies - pear and pecan - and homemade blackberry ice cream. Lots of bubbly, wine, whiskey, and mead, so i got home at 8:30 and went straight to bed.

Leftovers of Thxgiving dinner tonight for me and the BF.

gravlax cured with beets

gravlax with toast 2022

Damian Lamb & Cardoons

Hope everyone enjoyed theirs!

22 Likes

It’s husband’s week to cook, and today was roasted chicken thighs with a most delectable and beautiful brussel/squash agradolce salad by Samin Nosrat. Finger licking good.

16 Likes