What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

It looks delicious! The pita, which you don’t like, looks almost like pilot bread to me, or kind of a pilot/saltine cross. Do you buy your lamb from the grocery store, or perhaps have connections for local?

Recently, I had this ’ pretty huge ’ bone marrow, topped with Escargots in a red wine reduction at ’ Monarque, Montreal '!

11 Likes

Great northern bean soup . I’m making it again. Adding chard . Also Ditalini pasta.
Cheers.

23 Likes

A beautiful day for Greenmarket shopping in Manhattan, so I had to fight my way through the crowds. Luckily, I scored some good stuff! Mussels, with saffron, tomato and parsley.

0F2D1FC7-176D-4F6C-A629-5F7F6929D9D7

Spaghetti squash, with feta and sage.

IMG_4901

Oysters, with cocktail sauce.

IMG_4904

20 Likes

Sticky bourbon chicken thigh with basmati rice and green onion. Snap peas, from the garden, radish and shallot salad, ranch dressing. There was a Bombay rocks and lots of wine.

19 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at The Farmer’s Daughter in Newton, NJ including roasted delicata squash with medjool dates, brussel sprouts, quinoa, breadcrumbs, apples, and pecans; excellent crab cake and sweet potato fritter; grouper; short ribs; It all went great with an excellent Italian Primitivo and a red blend.

10 Likes

Those Turkish style beans look and sound amazing! Do you have a recipe you used? These might be popular here.

3 Likes

Typically I’d make our pita, but I was being lazy here and hoping for a reasonable short cut. Lesson learned. I’ve added a pita-baking session to my schedule next week.

I do not have a direct source for lamb, but buy it at the grocery.

2 Likes

I use an old Epicurious recipe but the link seems to be broken. Turkish-Style Braised Green Beans (Zeytinyağlı Taze Fasulye)

Paraphrasing: sauté a minced onion (or 2 or use a leek or 2) in a lot of olive oil in a Dutch oven, add 2 minced cloves of garlic, add small can diced tomatoes with juice (or part of a box of Pomi), add 2 lbs fresh or frozen Romano (or green) beans, maras or aleppo pepper, a bit of salt, a bit of water, bring to simmer and cook covered in 300 oven for a couple of hours, stirring every 30 minutes and adding a bit more water if needed. Serve at room temp with big squeeze of lemon. A dollop of yogurt is also nice. Even better the next day brought up to room temp. Makes 6 servings.

A long time ago, way back on Chowhound, several posters mentioned adding potatoes but I never have, partly because I always freeze several portions and I don’t find that potatoes freeze well.

11 Likes

Still in the city after Dia cause of a hurricane which we figured would be better to ride out here. Went to the night food stalls at the plaza. Red pozole (which my gf added a ridiculous amount of chiles to…) and a huitlacoche memela (which she folds :man_shrugging:) with salsa macha and a green salsa and crema. Both were really good.

22 Likes

Nice! It wasn’t so much the size of the bone (“that’s what.” - she), but the amount of marrow. Enough for 4 tipsy/hungry adults to share :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@GretchenS Thanks for sharing the recipe. One of the cheese stores I frequent is owned by a Lebanese man. In addition to having a wide assortment of cheeses he has an assortment of Lebanese dishes made in-house. He has hummus, baba ghanouj, tzatziki and fasoulia. I have always wanted to try making it at home so I hope to give it a try following your recipe.

1 Like

That looks delicious!

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was a cauliflower curry and corn on the cob.

15 Likes

that all looks amazing… buen provecho!

1 Like

Fresh pasta is, indeed, fun and rewarding, and for many applications, is wonderful.

But do not casually abandon dried pasta, which is preferable in many applications, esp dishes like caccio e pepe or carbonara variations. Good bronze die cut pasta treated right and finished in the sauce is a thing of beauty.

9 Likes

Last night at my sister’s, we made a Leite’s Culinaria recipe originally for skate, but changed at some point to sole (and the friend who gave me the recipe used cod, which is what i used too, in a saffron cream sauce. So good! Sauteed veggies were leeks, shallots, yellow bell peppers, and I added zucchini because my sister had a ton left. She had the great idea that fennel would have been a good addition, either to the veggies or steeped in the cream sauce, so next time. I also made crash hot potatoes again, but they got super charred (almost burned!) in the first 20 minutes because my sister’s oven was apparently set to convection. I don’t mind char, and at they were really crispy this time. I’d make this whole dinner again.

the recipe isn’t online, so if anyone’s interested, with my notes…

Leite Culinaria’s Fish (skate, sole, cod, etc.) in Saffron Broth

For the Saffron Broth

• 2 cups low salt chicken or seafood stock
• 1 cup heavy cream
• ¼ teaspoon saffron – crushed
• Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 6 medium leeks, white and pale green parts only. Halved lengthwise, sliced into ¼” half-moons, rinsed and drained well
• 2 tablespoons minced shallot
• 1 Yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into ¼” squares (I added diced, sauteed zucchini)
• 2 ½ lbs. of sole fillets
• All-purpose flour for dredging
• 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
• Freshly chopped flat leaf parsley

1. Combine the stock, cream and saffron in a small sauce pan and bring almost to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to about 1 ½ cups – about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Keep warm.
  2. Heat the oven to warm. Slide into the oven a sheet pan with a rack.
  3. Heat the butter in a medium sized skillet or sauté pan over a medium heat until the foam subsides. Add the leeks and shallots and cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the yellow bell pepper and cook another 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Scrape into a small bowl and cover to keep warm.
  4. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick fry pan over a medium to high heat. Pat the sole fillets dry with a paper towel and season lightly with salt and pepper. Dredge them in the flour, shaking off the excess flour. Add the fillets to the hot oil and sear them in batches – 2 minutes or so on each side. {I finished with a chunk of butter) Transfer the sauteed fillets to the rack in the oven to keep them warm while you finish the rest of the fish, adding more oil if necessary.
  5. To serve, spoon the vegetables into bowls. Pour the saffron broth on top of and around the vegetables. Place the sole fillets on the vegetables and then sprinkle the chopped parsley on top.
21 Likes

It was 75+ degrees here today, so I have been out in shorts and a t-shirt smoking ribs. In fact, I’m still doing it, just in the dark since 4:45 or so :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Really hate standard time. At least the ribs should be good!

7 Likes

That sounds and looks amazing mc!! Are you fully recovered? When are you going to tell us about Barcelona?

4 Likes

Sauteed sausage, roasted broccoli, and penne in a garlicky-herby Parma-ish sauce. Knorr’s garlic and herb sauce packet with 1%, heavy cream, white wine, TPSTOH, a pinch of Aleppo pepper, and a half cup of tomato sauce make a tasty, quick sauce. A schprinkle of grated Parm-Reg on top.

Wine.

20 Likes