What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

Dinner out today at our favorite ramen place in town. House-made pork gyoza, katsu don, spicy miso ramen. Good stuff on a cold, windy, rainy day.

17 Likes

Today was the leftovers from yesterday’s super Turkish eggplant, lentil, pom molasses dish.

To go with, today I tried making Bazlama (Turkish leavened flatbread or village bread). There seem to be two versions: one thicker that doesn’t puff open to a pocket, and one thinner that does like a pita. I made the latter. This one gets toasted on a CI pan, though you can use the oven too.

I used this recipe, only I used 300 gms APF and 200 gms WW flour.

My first attempt, it came out really well. You can see the puff on the stovetop, and the pocket on my plate.

20 Likes

Looks great! Did it taste like pita? Seems softer.

1 Like

It tasted like pita. It was somewhat softer. Unlike pita, the dough has yogurt in it (like naan).

2 Likes

I always thought only home naan had had yogurt (instead of yeast), not the actual stuff outside (and inversely that kulcha had yogurt, that’s why it was softer). But I have no actual idea, because when one looks up home recipes everything has everything these days :joy:

1 Like

Mini-penne with garden tomatoes, preserved last summer ala Nigel Slater. Caesar salad with homemade dressing.

Thanks to a suggestion from @ BeefeaterRocks to freeze the herb-roasted tomatoes (ref. this thread). A quick, economical, and tasty supper!

19 Likes

True! I have seen naan recipes with yogurt or with yeast or with both. I also thought kulchas had yogurt. Everything has a whole wheat option nowadays.
Bazlama seems to have both yogurt and yeast. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Had planned to cook chicken for dinner, so I defrosted some. But no cooking mojo.

So I ate the leftover dal, green beans, and rice with another piece of salmon baked with mustard and green chillies.

16 Likes

Not overstepping by any means. We did have a lot of turkey leftover but most of it was divvied up and sent home with my nieces and nephews. My mother and aunt got several TV-dinner type meals for their freezers. All the dark meat was gone so I took the two breast pieces. I got the carcasses as I am the only soup maker in the family (well my sister makes a lot of soup but she is a vegetarian).

In addition to the turkey we had lots of sides left which I find harder to repurpose and which I tire of much quickly than the turkey itself. I did make a batch of stuffing waffles to freeze for hot turkey sandwiches using one of the breast pieces. Sweet potatoes turned into a curried sweet potato and squash soup for the freezer as well. Now I’m left with some cranberries which will be used up with weekend as part of a cheese board.

About the only thing that did get finished up was the case of wine, the bourbon and the gin. Amazingly we did have some vodka left over. Not to think we are that big of drinkers - we were together from Friday night to Monday morning. Our Thanksgiving dinner was the Sunday before the actual holiday.

13 Likes

we have a LOT of veg in the fridge from the weekend, so the BF made bacon carbonara with sauteed shaved TJs brussels sprouts, roasted delicata squash, and sauteed zucchini with parm. LOVED the sprouts in the carbonara - he used just the fallen leaves from the package and they tasted almost like anchovy on the pasta. Super umami-ness!

22 Likes

Holy Mackerel, Batman!

18 Likes

Good morning! Ive posted the new thread for December here:

2 Likes

I thought that was a marrow bone :sweat_smile:

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

well that’s… interesting! :rofl:

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Thank you so very much.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

Sounds delicious

1 Like