What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Money shot

12 Likes

You could be right. I think my go-to recipe is 4 eggs to 1 cup milk to 1/2 cup flour. If dutch baby has more flour, perhaps it is somewhere between a clafoutis and a regular pancake. Sounds like the ingredients and method - and puff - are the same. Just the proportions might be different.

2 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous, mariacarmen! Did you use a particular recipe? I’d love a tried and true. I’ve been using Food Geek’s World’s Easiest Sourdough, which is very good, but I’m open to others.

And congratulations on getting your starter going. I almost had it, but wasn’t discarding and feeding enough and I lost it. King Arthur to the rescue. It sure is coming in handy during these crazy times.

1 Like

WOW! 48 hours of really fabulous food! This sequestration is bringing out some amazing talent!

Warmed up duck with olives, couscous, chard

15 Likes

Thank you. He deserved a good dinner.

2 Likes

Very well done! I have resisted the urge to bake away the boredom until this week, but I got my sourdough starter out of the fridge a couple of days ago and currently have pizza dough for calzones and focaccia dough sitting in the fridge, enjoying a nice long, slow ferment. You will enjoy experimenting with yours!

2 Likes

Old school(ish) tonight - turkey meatloaf, buttery braised limas, cheesy peas and corn.

14 Likes

Damn @mariacarmen that sourdough looks awesome! I’ve been thinking about taking the plunge since so many people in SF are offering sourdough starter, although baking is definitely not my forte.

3 Likes

This was a total win - ala Sandra Lee. A week or two ago, I made 2 pork tenderloins, char sui. I froze one, plus a little of the basting sauce. Today, I took 4 25 cent cup a noodles (chicken flavor ramen), dumped each in a bowl with 1/4 can of chicken stock I’d added my extra basting liquid to, 1/4 of the sliced tenderloin, some garden scallions, and some steamed broccoli. Then people added their spicy as they desired. It was an outstanding mix of prefab and homemade, and super easy to boot, because all the work was done a week ago. Doesn’t it look pretty?
(ps my little talked me into a Costco flat of chicken flavor ramen several months ago - don’t know how/why)

21 Likes

Nice, I love lima beans but never make them, they just aren’t on my radar when cooking.

1 Like

Now I’m super jealous. Looks fabulous. I have made the starter , poolish , the tartine recipe , this and that . At least 0 for 8 . Thanks for the inspiration. I’ll be making it again real soon . For tonight my cheatty pizza dough bread .

1 Like

Roast chicken a la Keller tonight.

Potatoes under the chicken.

Active cooking day with kids - we made Rice Krispie treats for dessert day, and gluten free burger buns for dinner, using the quarantiny starter we’ve been nurturing.

22 Likes

Last night was a little pasta added to caramelized onion, bacon, and Brussels sprouts. Tonight was a pre-made turkey meatloaf we heated up and I made some zucchini pancake things.

19 Likes

Grilled rib eye , sliced. Salad , bruschetta . Cheatty pizza bread . Cheers.

20 Likes

Dinner Wednesday night: Massaman Beef Curry over CalRose rice. Turned out very well with ingredients on hand. Had some reasonably fresh, albeit frozen kaffir lime leaves. That might be an oxymoron…

13 Likes

That dinner looks so good. Can you remind me about your “cheatty pizza bread”? Do you use pizza dough and bake it into a loaf? I’d love to try it. Thanks!

Yes . I use pizza dough and shape it into a loaf . Form into a ball . I sprinkle flour on it . Let it rise for 3 hours . Covered lightly with saran wrap. Bake at 450 and add a little over a cup of hot water into a sheet pan in the bottom of the oven to make steam . Bake for around 40 minutes.

4 Likes

Thanks so much. I’m going to try it!

1 Like

I bake it on parchment paper on a pizza stone. I get a 16 oz bag of their pizza dough from the local bakery

I adore the stuff. There is a small chicken chain in Southern CA called Zankou, and they make toum, which everyone simply calls garlic sauce (although it is white paste consistency). It is simply the claim to their fame, and locally, they are very famous. The toum is delicious if you like garlic and lemon. You can use it for crudite, spread on a hamburger, dip for pita or pita chips. I personally could just eat it by the spoonful. After we moved from CA, I missed it for years. And then found a pretty decent replica at Trader Joe’s of all places. Also called garlic sauce. In the same part of the store as the hummus. Zankou serves it with their rotisserie chicken, and all their pita sandwiches like shawerma. It would be great with falafel or any of the Israeli type pita sandwiches like eggplant, eggs, etc. with veg in a pita.

6 Likes