What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

You made me laugh and brought back a memory. I am a pretty neat cook, cleaning up after myself as I go along. But one day I was preparing several desserts for a party and had just tossed wrappings in the sink as I went along. Our son came home from school, walked into the kitchen and saw chocolate wrappers, cream cheese wrappers, egg and cream cartons in a frenzied mess. He whirled around to blurted, “Mama, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” He’d never seen organized chaos in our kitchen.

7 Likes

In the future, when you are more confident, do experiment with different types of flour and also add stuff to your dough. My first loaves were no lookers and less successful than yours but I have done much better since (5 years). (First one, another one, and with beetroot. Beetroot after.)

1 Like

Made some yee mein using Tokyo negi tops from my garden and fresh organic shiitakes from Oregon.

16 Likes

Nice! Non-AP flour was a Top Chef challenge this week. Impressive.

3 Likes

We too are “clean as you go” in the kitchen. There’s nothing worse than finishing an awesome meal and then seeing Mt. Everest in the sink. Especially if we’re home at the same time, one will wash while the other cooks.

I got home last night at the tail end of his adventure. The apps and their bazillion ingredients were pretty much assembled. But when I saw the scene in that kitchen, I literally was taken aback.

If I ever win the lottery, I will pay someone to come in every night to wash dishes. Some in the privileged class hire a personal chef. I want a personal kitchen cleaner.

11 Likes

We had some more outstanding takeout from Drew’s which reopened after a 2 week hiatus. Details and pictures are in the link below for those that are interested.

4 Likes

Wow! Maybe your DBF has missed his calling in food!. Looks so good.

1 Like

I made seared ribeyes, tater tots (as appeared in another’s WFD previously), garlic spinach, and mesculun and white radish with homemade strawberry-balsamic vinaigrette (the last two dishes made w/CSA veg).

My steak was rare and I’m #notsorry

Didn’t finish the whole steak, but I wanted to.

13 Likes

Teriyaki salmon (for the kids), and tuna steaks for the adults. Brown rice along side with roasted brussels and sautéed broccoli and asparagus with garlic and soy. I drizzled the sliced seared tuna with some previously made gochujang based sauce.

15 Likes

It must be steak night all over. Grilled NY Strip with a coffee and chile rub, finished with coffee salt. Grilled zucchini with roasted peppers and pesto.

16 Likes

We both have VERY limited restaurant experience but he has one up on me since he worked as a butcher’s apprentice for a year. Ironically, that’s why he doesn’t eat red meat, save for burgers! LOL

5 Likes

10-hour slow-cooker brisket in a Budweiser-based marinade, mashed sweet potatoes, and mom’s zucchini pie.

There was a Manhattan with wormwood bitters. Or was it two or three? :grimacing:

16 Likes

Another frittata.

The sweet peas are what’s up!

19 Likes

Saregama inspired me to try what I was afraid would be beyond my abilities, and I’m pleased to say, it was pretty damn good! Dim sum night. We have shrimp rice noodles, chinese broccoli, red bean buns, and some empty rice noodles, once we ran out of shrimp. These are much prettier as rolling took a little to get the hang of it.

23 Likes

Oooh yum! Glad it worked!

I realized yesterday that because some of my current household are gluten free, there is already tapioca starch here… I think I just need superfine rice flour now (because regular rice flour is apparently too grainy for cheung fun).

1 Like

It worked pretty well, and it gives me the confidence to try again. I ended up putting a little rack in my biggest round pot with a lid, and using a square porcelain plate with a rim. The first one stuck a bit, the rest came off nicely. I don’t see myself doing the sheet or towel method (too messy) even though I’m sure the noodles would be thinner. Interesting that the recipe I found (and made my shop list with) included rice flour, and tapioca and wheat starch. But when I came back and looked up recipes, I couldn’t find that one, and ended up using the rice and wheat, but with cornstarch. Gotta say though, I’m a little proud of me :slight_smile: Wins in the kitchen are good fun.

6 Likes

I had a very “off food” day. Didn’t feel like eating at either breakfast or lunch.

Zoom cocktail hour with college roommates.

Then I got hungry, so I made an asian-ish chicken salad using some of the leftover roast chicken, fennel, the last of a bag of cabbage slaw, scallions, and cilantro. Dressed with homemade alioli and sriracha.

11 Likes

Somewhere in the middle of this leftover smoked pork rib chop up . There is a gooey egg on a tostada shell . Cheers.

15 Likes

Looks great! The buns especially! How did you make the rice noodles?

This was from Friday. Rice cooker polenta (should have used the porridge setting), a breakfast sausage patty from the freezer, broccolini, fried mushrooms, and a fried egg.

16 Likes