What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

I’ve got 2 WFDs. A Thai red curry noodles with langostinos, zucchini, and edamame. And then a nice warming bowl of minestrone with some Italian sausage thrown in for protein and heft. The shredded zukes were from the garden (via freezer) and I had so many, I keep trying out new things to do with them. The soup included some kale from plants that keep on giving. They were put in in the late summer more than a year ago, and never particularly grew that season, but took off this gardening season.

13 Likes

These are a favorite in my family too - my mother has been making them (a slightly different recipe from the NY Times version, but very similar - just no egg and a little less flour) since before I was born, and now all of us kids plus our spouses are obsessed with them as well. My favorite thing about them is that they actually cook best from frozen, so I always make a big batch and freeze them individually, then keep them in a baggie in the freezer for hot olive balls at a moment’s notice!

1 Like

I’m trying to get back into planning to cook, even though I really don’t feel like it.

So while I didn’t plan, I cooked. Pulled out a small round steak and did a quick defrost to use in this recipe. Added some chopped red bell pepper for color and crunch, as I didn’t cut up enough broccoli.

And no sesame seeds. Could have sworn I had them in my freezer, but nope. So added it to my next Penzeys shopping list.

Not too bad and give me leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch.

18 Likes

I made chicken satay lettuce wraps, sweet soy and black vinegar butter haricots, and spicy sesame cucumber salad. Miso-butter corn for the babe - he ate his chicken with additional hoisin sauce AKA a spoonful of sugar…

Now having some dilled havarti and seedy crackers with Sauvignon Blanc as a snack.

17 Likes

Trying to use up what’s in the fridge and freezer this week.

I had ordered peppers for stuffed peppers ages ago and forgot. Also a while cauliflower sitting in the fridge for an eternity. And some poor mushrooms.

Minced the mushrooms and sautéed with onion and garlic. Cut up and roasted the cauliflower with a touch of garam masala. Soaked and cooked some brown lentils and bulgur (separately).

Made kisr (turkish tabbouleh) using Musa Dagdeviren’s recipe, which let me open the pepper paste I bought on my turkish supermarket excursion a couple of months ago - yay! Added some of the lentils to that.

Stuffed this into one of the peppers, halved, then baked.

I ate half the cauliflower while all this was happening :joy:

Also mixed the mushrooms and remaining lentils into the rest of the bulgur. Will decide what to do with that tomorrow - it’s intensely mushroomy and delicious!

13 Likes

i was going to make tacos with the leftover turkey, but BF had other plans: turkey pot pie! Store-bought pie crusts were nicely flaky, and frozen veggies were fine if a tad soft, but his gravy and herb seasoning were spot on. Reminded us both of the Swanson frozen pot pies we’d get as kids. On the side, a little green salad with pecans and pomegranate vinaigrette.

21 Likes

No pics, but dinner tonight was a nice crisp salad, with carrot shreds, cucumber, lettuce and green onions. We topped with avocado slices and bleu cheese dressing. The main was beef stroganoff, made with rib steak, cremini and shiitake mushrooms. Delish!

10 Likes

BBQ dinner. Baked beans, roast pork tenderloin with TJ “Carolina Gold” sauce, dill pickles, and some sliced wheat bread. Consensus on the bbq sauce was that it was a little too sweet and a little too gloppy. But not bad. The pickles were needed to cut the sugar with some acid. Not a bad meal.

10 Likes

Friend has had the flu for a week, better today so I invited her over as her husband went away and will be returning home for dinner only.
Lunch was steamed shrimp and turkey siomai served with dip of garlic, soy, vinegar and chili crisp. She fell in love with the chili crisp so, I had a few bottles in the pantry, and gave her a bottle
We sat and chat and drank CS from Costco, till around 4:00PM. So, dinner was Jap Chae using Korean Sweet Potato Starch,

Chicken Breast marinaded in soy, vinegar, LoGam Ma’s chili and black beans, Lo Gan Ma’s Spicy chili crisp, sesame oil, Shao Xing wine, then stir fried with ginger, garlic and reconstituted shiitake mushroom .

For vegetables, I used what I had in fridge, carrots, Swiss chard from garden, snow peas Caramelized onions and spices from above.

Noodles, Chicken and Vegetables were cooked separately, then mixed together. It was tasty. I gave the friend 2/3 for her husband and enough for tomorrow’s meal and I kept 1/3 after we shared dinner together as I still have lots of left over stuff in my refrigerator.

Picture shows the large Wilton Armatale bowl of mixed Jam Chai that we ate from and the left over in a smaller la chamber clay pot

black clay pot that I had left over, which will last me many meals

19 Likes

Jap Chat in bigger pot that did not appear or some reason

13 Likes

Love japchae

3 Likes

Was working late last night so needed something quick. I remembered we had bagels in the freezer and the missus had bought me Japanese mayo from a Korean supermarket near work. On my way back home I popped into my local shop. I spied a new version of one of my favourite things ( tinned mackerel) but with jalapenos. Also bought some spring onions. Mixed these with the mayo and spread on the bagel. Delicious but the missus would have hated it.

18 Likes

That all looks so good!

2 Likes

I know a lot of folks here at HO talks about turkey parts post thanksgiving
I went to HT last Thursday, did nto see any at all
They had turkey breast or whole turkey
That is really too much for one person like me
bought I would cook it with grubs, grill it stove top for protein instead of eating all those duck which is incidentally good but most of duck is gone m still have around 2 servings of the turbos beans left which I had been nibbling with additional spices such as spicy chili crisp etc.

1 Like

looks/sounds wonderful!

1 Like

Arrived late in the country to freezing cold house. Needed something stupid-easy, fast and hot =
packaged/frozen 4-cheese tortellini in boxed chicken bone broth. Wine. Hits all the right spots.

17 Likes

How I love that you shared this. More often than I care to admit, I’m in need of “stupid easy” ideas that are grownup dinners.

8 Likes

Don’t we all have those nights where we go slumming with satisfactory results. Some times you just need to eat yet still want it to taste good yet have no time or desire to make it from scratch

9 Likes

Wify is still not home. Have burgers and fries ready to go

5 Likes

Hungarian chicken with spaetzle

15 Likes