What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Left over, thick cut pork chops; with a mash up of potatoes, red onions and button mushrooms. The side was the scene-stealer…

11 Likes

love the cartoon cover photo!

I’ve been awol since just before Thxgiving, i think… it’s all a blur now but basically, sister and i were hoarding 20 dogs, more or less, for the 4 day weekend, so meals were all standing over the stove, accordion gate keeping the pooches at bay. So excuse the lack of plating, mostly! though on Thxgiving i bought sushi-grade pieces of hamachi, maguro, sake, some uni, and all the fixings for sashimi and little hand rolls. Credit sister for the knife work, and for her mignonette with a stellar brunoise of shallots, in sherry vinegar. all washed down with some bubbles.

Friday there was an afternoon snack of salmon poke with the leftover salmon (yes, i know…) and i picked up a dozen oysters - Beausoleils and Belons (we preferred the former by a slight margin), which we inexpertly shucked, with much sweating, grunting and cursing, but we got it done. Also, a friend on a FB food group turned me on to Snake River’s American Wagyu Beef Tenderloin pieces, which I simply salted and sauteed in evoo, butter, with a smashed clove of garlic. Excellent! The best, most tender beef I’ve ever tasted. Must buy some to make for the BF.

Saturday we had take-out Thai. HOT AF!

Sunday was Spanish shellfish conservas on buttered baguette slices, chorizo, guac and chips, and all the rest of the stinky/oozy cheeses we’d snacked on the previous 3 days.

Lots of bubbles accompanied all.

also, a couple of baking mishaps. (if I’m repeating some of this, please forgive me…) almond tort for the BF: my springform pan bottom was warped for some reason, so part of the filling came out in the oven and made the tort uneven and thinner than the Amanda Hesser one I’d made in previous years. Still, turned out very moist and tasty. BF loved it.

Then, i attempted a cheesecake - my first! got a new springform and used a Martha Stewart recipe, although i used TJs ginger snaps for the crust instead of graham crackers. Mistake was not taking into account that my sister’s fancy Italian oven is very small, and unbeknownst to me also has a heating element on TOP as well as on the bottom. The cake rose beautifully - too beautifully, as it was so tall it just got obliterated by the top inside of the oven - turned out looking like a chocolate torte! however, after chilling for 12 hours, we cut the top burned part off and the inside was light and creamy.

I think that’s it. oh and tonight’s: fridge/freezer clean-out: pork shoulder from the freezer, grilled a few weeks ago, heated up with TJs Carolina Gold BBQ sauce, crash hot potatoes with smoked paprika and chives, sauteed mushrooms and bell pepper, and smashed cuke salad.

bbq%20pork%20smashed%20taters%20%26%20shrooms

smashed%20cukes%202

I also made a guisado de pollo for tomorrow night’s dinner…

now i have to catch up on all your good eats!

19 Likes

Considering you pooch challenges, you and your sister really pulled your meals together!

Especially here:

And here:

Big congratulations to you both!

9 Likes

Amazing!! I am drooling all over my desk! :yum::yum::yum:

2 Likes

Gorgeous! I should have pretended that my burnt cheesecake was actually a Parisian flan! :smile:

4 Likes

OMFG! THAT PRIME RIB!! i would have gorged on that and nothing else.

1 Like

Don’t complain, don’t explain. You have just recreated a famous French cheesecake. Kudos to you!
Charentes tourteau fromage

6 Likes

I actually said to my sister, I can just say it’s the famous cheesecake from La Viña (which is spectacular)! but the taste would have given me away - burnt!

La%20Vina%20Cheesecake

5 Likes

Lordy, that’s amazing eats!

2 Likes

Stir fry beef (strip steak) with celery, carrots, scallions, roasted garlic, baby portobello mushrooms, jarred baby corns and yellow peppers. Hoisin, star anise, fresh ginger, toasted sesame oil, cider vinegar marinade served over steamed brown rice.

Cinnamon ice cream later.

Rooster

4 Likes

Mmmm, sounds great @Rooster! Do you buy or make your cinnamon ice cream?

Actually, my brother made a few diff flavors for the holiday and gave me a pint. He uses an electric churn model. He folds in cinnamon beads so you taste a nice hit of spice.

4 Likes

@pilgrim is right, I just love the burnt crust of the Poitou tourteau cheese cake . Without the crust, no charm. Last time I baked it must be 2-3 years ago…must make one soon, miss it!

6 Likes

Guisado de pollo that I made last night. Chicken thighs stewed with 1/2 a rocoto pepper, scallions, shallots, canned tomatoes, cilantro, sazon, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, bay leaves, oregano, s&p, and water. Shredded the chicken off the bones and then cooked it all way down so it was thick enough for tacos. Made more crash hot potatoes, Mexi-style (cumin, cayenne, granulated garlic), with TJs fried onions on top, and lime crema. I find that the guisado is so versatile, it’s good in so many iterations - didn’t miss the veggies (potato, corn, green beans, etc., some or all of which usually make it in there) at all, as it was so highly seasoned.

Oops - pics didn’t post! Fixed. Cuz you KNOW i took pics. :smile:

11 Likes

Well, you’re a lucky guy @Rooster! But what are cinnamon beads - not familiar :thinking:? My guess would be ground cinnamon bark, but not too fine?

I’ve always wanted to make a kaffir lime leaf and vanilla bean ice cream; I’ve got lots of fresh lime leaves and vanilla paste, so was going to heat the cream & half n half tonight, and let steep overnight or so. Will try one version with dairy and one with coconut milk. Will keep you posted.

Doctored the salad that came with my lunch sushi order, plus the little bit of leftover sushi.

And leftover latkes - sweet potato and fennel with harissa, not exactly traditional, but tasty.

8 Likes

Interesting flavor idea. I look forward to your results.

Thanks for the cinnamon bits link. Can think of lots of things to use them for. Will let you know about my experiment, may add some dessicated coconut to the version made with coconut milk or coconut cream. Didn’t get it steeping last night, but will do so today.

1 Like

Chicken with olives in tomato sauce which cooked in my smart instant pot while I was at work (all I had to do was heat it up when we got home). Served with big Caesar salad and basmati rice.

10 Likes

Have been thinking about aloo paratha - flatbread stuffed with a spiced potato mixture. A while back, I came across a recipe that skips stuffing and mixes the flour directly into the potato (like gnocchi dough)… so much easier, but it tastes like a different dish.

Anyway, I decided to use up some of the accumulated sweet potatoes this way.

Pressure cooked a long one, then riced it and mixed in the spices, ginger, and a some zhoug (in lieu of cilantro and other things). Added chapati flour to form a pliable dough, divided it and let it rest (well, I made one and ate it - taste test :joy:).

I had just finished rolling out and griddling the rest when a friend called to ask if we could meet for dinner… so I packed up half of them for her and went out for Thai food :grin:

8 Likes