What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Today, we held firm to my vision of having Chinese food. I cook a minimum of 5-6 nights a week (as you all know from the pics here). When my friends and coworkers asked what I was cooking for Christmas, and I said we were ordering Chinese takeout, they thought I was joking. Well, for the first time in my life, we didn’t cook on the big day. Chinese it was. We had a stress-free holiday and a veritable buffet (including dumplings that did NOT fall apart)! This is just one plate. In total, there was curry chicken, chicken and broccoli, beef and broccoli, egg foo young, chicken on a stick, dumplings, egg rolls, boneless spare ribs, fried rice, white rice, and lo mein. There will be leftovers.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

21 Likes

We did a quiet celebratory dinner for two after the babe went to bed. To start, salmon-caper mousse on crispy celery hearts. Sous vide leg of lamb with home-grown
rosemary, garlic, and olive oil with a crispy crust, pumpkin-spelt Parmesan “risotto”, and pan-roasted Brussels with crispy prosciutto. An Italian Primitivo aka Zinfandel in our glasses. It was very good. First time serving on great-aunt’s Bavarian china.

22 Likes

Dark soy sauce gives a different flavor than light soy sauce. It looks good though - I bookmarked the recipe.

2 Likes

Scrolling through these WFD submissions really does something scintillating for my soul. Kind of like a trek through an art gallery: something beautiful to view at every turn.

9 Likes

Stopped at the local diner for their huge portioned Homemade chicken pot pie special to enjoy for dinner. Along with the specials side salad and rice pudding on our way home from Boston. Enough for two hungry travelers in no mood to cook.

Happy Holidays HO’s!

11 Likes

Wow…for the first time I was invited for Christmas day, and only had to bring two things and not most of the meal…it was good… I brought the 12 lb prime rib, the 3 lb poached salmon and the 5 lb fruit pLate, and the 2lb shrimp cocktail appy with horsey sauce…
Veggies, mashed and asparagus, cheese, Italian cured meats, raw veggies and blue chees dressing, crackers (3 kinds) and Costco apple pie by others…I am happy I did not make the whole meal!!!
HAPPY!!!

15 Likes

Sounds like a righteous feast! Best @PHREDDY

3 Likes

That’s my fantasy @PHREDDY - showing up for a holiday meal with a dish to share or groceries! Think it’s gonna be quite a few years for it to happen, however.

Sounds like a great meal & glad you got to kick back and enjoy. I also love shared, cultural holidays.

3 Likes

I counted 4 things and large portions too!
I should invite you over for Christmas dinner and just provide a salad and Costco’s apple pie next Christmas!
I too was invited for Christmas, all finger food.
I brought Siomai ( ground turkey and shrimp siomai, and a Leche Flan pictured in the forum ( bakers gonna bake-septs and desserts 2019) The flan was perfect but alas, I can only have a small piece as I have to watch my carbs and sweets. Did not take picture of the siomai as I brought a basket with my steamer and stopped by the utility room in the basement for the frozen siomai. No time to take pictures. but the host really loved those 2 things , so I am happy with my contribution.

8 Likes

Beautiful meal @ChristinaM, so colorful and scrumptious looking. Great job on the lamb too, and I’m sure it tasted at least as good as it looks.

Nice score on the Bavarian China too - very pretty! I’ve gotten all my “inherited” dish ware and serving pieces from Goodwill, and just pretend they’re from a granny :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Can’t believe that that huge amount of wonderful food you brought was not the whole meal! Certainly was the major part of it!

3 Likes

So naf, I asked my friend who first posted the recipe and she used “regular Kimlan Super Special light soy sauce” on hers, and hers was very dark too (see pic). So it’s still a mystery why the recipe picture is sooooo light.

and @boogiebaby - yep, totally different flavor using the dark soy as opposed to the light, but that’s what i had on hand. looking forward to what you think of the recipe!

2 Likes

So naf, I asked my friend who first posted the recipe and she used “regular Kimlan Super Special light soy sauce” on hers, and hers was very dark too (see pic) so it’s still a mystery why the recipe picture is sooooo light.

our holiday dinners went thusly:

Xmas eve: at my sister’s, snacking on cheese/crackers, then steamed Costco Dungeness crabs with lots of melted butter and lemon. That pretty much filled us up for the day. This was the first time we’d had the Costco crabs not only pre-steamed, which we love, but also frozen, because the fresh were picked over and cracked. The shell after defrosting/reheating isn’t pretty and had me worried, but the crab meat was as sweet and tasty as any other we’ve had. French bubbles to quaff. Cocktails out later with the BF when I got home (no self-driving, of course!)

Xmas day: To start, I made latkes with shallots instead of onions, topped with creme fraiche, chives, and smoked salmon. Turned out great.

Friend of my sister’s brought over spiral baked ham, German mustard, Parker rolls, an amazingly delish potato leek soup with shrooms, some apple strudel and persimmon cake-y bites. Gifted California bubbles accompanied. more cocktails with the BF, this time in-house.

Day after Xmas: At my sister’s again, helping her with her charges (as you may know, my sister boards dogs and the holidays are her busiest time of year). We’d saved a pack of Snake River Farms Wagyu-style beef tips, which we’d first ordered/tried over Thxgiving and fallen in love with. We saved them for our lunch today when we’d be good and hungry, and not fighting stomach real estate with other treats. i also bought some shrimp for Surf & Turf. WELL. DOGS HAPPENED. Actually, ONE PARTICULAR DOG happened. Long, stupid story short, one sneaky dog had the best steak of his life, we got none. NONE.

does he look at all sorry to you??? :sob::sob::sob:

A lot of human wailing and gnashing of teeth happened, and then we ruefully ate our gambas al ajillo while the dog licked his chops.

I had dinner plans with a couple of friends tonight, and that brings us to the end of the Xmas holiday eating bonanza.

Now to go look at your delicious meals…

21 Likes

What a shame @mariacarmen, that he ate ALL the steak. No guilt on his face I can detect, rather a smug, self satisfied look…

3 Likes

Crab cakes for four. Daughter and SIL in town and staying with us

4 Likes

Just in case some may miss the thread. The Christmas meals are here, from ideas, preparations to cooked dishes:

1 Like

A first time making lobster thermador. It was a def success and I will make again. He said it was his fav lobster recipe ever (& I’ve made many). Some steps to put together but it can all be done ahead which is great for a holiday meal. I had help…he split, cleaned and roasted the shells to dry them:)! I did see the recipe done in ramekins but prettier in the shells, think the roasted shells add flavor.

23 Likes

Oh my those are beautiful!

2 Likes

I checked the recipe again, I suspect the meat wasn’t browned on the recipe photo… Looks good both of your dishes, I like more than the recipe photo. If I make it, I’ll let you know the result.

2 Likes