What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

We all help my mom and grandmothers in one way or another and / or bake cookies with my grandsons.

2 Likes

Gumbo with fresh Andouille sausage and chicken. An amalgam of 3 recipes from P Prudhomme, Emeril, and a NOLA Jr League cookbook, Jambalaya. H made it - wonderful and a large batch. 2 containers to be delivered to kids today, along with turkey noodle soup. Oldest is sick and youngest’s DH is in D. Republic, so she’s lost her cook. Lucky kids we have.

12 Likes

Tacos!!! I tossed some breasts in the crock pot with lime, onion, cilantro, some stock and a ton of spices. Shredded them when they were cooked through. Served with sides of doctored up refried beans and brown rice and topped onion, cilantro and avocado (and sour cream on mine, yes, not authentic, whatever!) I tried a new tortilla recipe. Tasty and easy.

14 Likes

Would you mind sharing your tortilla recipe @gracieggg? They look really good.

1 Like

Thank you.
Husband designed the teak table, center is hand carved but floating and not attached to the rim so that although humidity affects it by shrinking and expanding, it would not warp etc. All I would see is that the center panel is next to the surrounding panel with or without a one inch gap depending on weather.
Very very lucky to have been able to purchase a pair of beautiful antique Bacarrat chandeliers( there were 7 originals at the National Press Club in DC. I befriended the owner of Gonzales Antiques who specializes in selling and maintening chandeliers for the Government. He refused to sell but one of them, but finally, he did sell me two because I kept on begging. Also a German Italian German bronze chandelier for the room that came from Scotland.
My guests yesterday who usually comes when my son is in town and have their parties outdoor were just looking at all those art work which I have to attribute to my dear husband ( rip) who was such an artist and engineer.
I am very very lucky.

2 Likes

Of course, this is the first time I’ve made these. I usually use my press but wanted these thinner and rolled them a little after coming out of the press. VERY easy:

2 Likes

Thank you - will let you know how they turn out, after I stop low-carbing all week.

1 Like

Wait. What? Your grandparents AND grandsons? Five generations? Wow - how lucky are you?!

2 Likes

I roll out all kinds of indian flatbreads, but I’ve never made tortillas - you’ve inspired me to try!

What kind of fat did you use?

Lucky indeed! I was going to ask how old @Barca is but decided that would be too cheeky. :upside_down_face: maybe they’re in an as yet to be discovered “Blue Zone”!

1 Like

Age is of no importance - just a number, but being a grandparent and having your own grandparents alive - and able to go on vacation together - wow - that is really something special! …and being alive to know your great, great grandchildren is just extraordinary! I have goosebumps

4 Likes

I used shortening which I bought for another flatbread but have actually been using it in a variety of ways. Let me know how yours turn out!

Was thinking the same thing actually. It’s virtually unbelievable to have BOTH sets of grandparents still living! I was amazed at her post!

2 Likes

Try this one.

Olive Oil and Sherry Pound Cake

Ingredients

3 cups (13.5 ounces) all-purpose flour (383 g)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar (400 g)
1 cup flavorful extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons grated orange zest (from medium orange)
5 large cold eggs
1 cup medium (amontillado) sherry

Equipment

A 10- to 12-cup tube or Bundt pan or two 8 by 4-inch (4 cups) loaf pans

Procedure

1. Position the rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour the pans. (Or, if you prefer, line the bottom and sides of the loaf pans with parchment.)

2. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt thoroughly in a large bowl and sift together. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer (with the whisk attachment if you have one), beat the sugar, oil, and orange zest on high speed until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; continue to beat until the mixture is thick and pale, 3 to 5 minutes. Stop the mixer and add one-third of the flour mixture. Beat on low speed just until blended. Stop the mixer and add half of the sherry. Beat just until blended. Repeat with another third of the flour, followed by the remaining sherry, and then the remaining flour.

4. Scrape the batter into the pan(s). Bake until the cake tester comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes for either the tube pan or the loaves. Cool the cake in the pan(s) on a rack for about 15 minutes before unmolding.

5. If using a tube pan, slide a skewer around the tube. If the sides of the pan are straight, slide a thin knife or spatula around the sides to release the cake (unless lined with paper). If using a Bundt or other decorative pan, tap one side of the pan against the counter to release the cake, then tap the other side. Invert the cake onto a rack. Turn the preferred side up before cooling the cake completely. Wrapped airtight, the cake keeps well at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.

3 Likes

Duck breast and cumcumber beetroot salad.

Followed by a homemade Parisian flan. Actually quite good for a first.

More on this flan: Bakers gonna bake - sweets and desserts 2019

18 Likes

I did a Mongolian udon noodle stir fry thing with beef. Tasty but too much sauce and a little too salty. I’ll cut that back next time. Fast!!!

13 Likes

Fuyu

Pork schnitzel, cauliflower, potato

11 Likes

It’s sooo good. Thanks for the reminder!

What a meal! Celebrating?

Low carbing it starting today. Broccoli cheddar soup with toppings.

12 Likes