What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

It was supposed to be “squid ink chitarra”. Didn’t have enough ink to colour the pasta. I have thought to cheat with food colouring, charcoal or even black sesame powder.

Soon, I will try to make soba or noodles. :smile:

4 Likes

Tell him to wash up his utensils! LOL, those kids!

I think you should do for what you want, and not what the others want, especially at your age. Make it clear, say you are tired and not want visitors, they will understand.

5 Likes

As someone older than ccj, I heartily recommend this attitude. If not now, when?

6 Likes

Can’t believe you are older than ccj, you sound very young at heart. And ccj too. (But I know her age.)

5 Likes

ha ha ha ha
I am 77 , will be 78 in 3 months
I hate confrontation, have done so but it seems I end up with a few days of unhappy situation here which I hate even more than clutter
Friends tell me to ignore clutter but I just cannot live with it.
I also do not believe Pilgrim is older than me

4 Likes

Trust me…

2 Likes

All beautiful! Sorry about your trip being cancelled, but of course, I’D be thrilled to “have to” stay in Paris for the holidays! :smile: Where were you going to go?

3 Likes

Originally, visiting my in laws in Southwest of France, 1 hour from Bordeaux.

I live in the outskirt of Paris, normally 20 minutes away in the centre with train. Due to strikes, many people use bikes, or simply walk. Hubby uses a scooter to go to work, cars are impossible, congestions everywhere on weekdays.

4 Likes

@shrinkrap

I believe you mentioned recently that one of your favorite dim sum is Cheung Fun ( spelling demands on dialect) but not aware you can buy it from grocery store.
Here are 2 pictures of the soft rice dim sum I purchased recently. It cost $1.79 / pack. They are soft and ready to eat as is. I cut mine into smaller serving piece, added sauce ( Kikkoman ponzu citrus dressing + XO + chili crisp ) as shown . Sometimes, I cook meat and. vegetable separately similar to preparing Jap Chae and add this in
However, if you keep them for a few days, ( as with these ones as I bought 2 packages), they become hard. Do not worry as all I have to do is pop them in the microwave. This half portion of a package took 2 minutes. SGcxTkmFQNWNbzrA2Q9IrQ|525x700

Presto, they are ready to eat. Just do not overcook it. and make it mushy
Here is a site of home made ones

11 Likes

Love cheung fun especially those with shrimps or char siu. But only in restaurants, never attempt to make that.

1 Like

me neither as I can buy it in va or rockville which I do every time I travel there.

2 Likes

God bless Clement Street!

FWIW, Clement Street is very worthy of a food crawl when/should you visit San Francisco. A good half dozen quite good dim sum shops, many restaurants, small mom and pop food shops as well as huge Mai Wah supermarket. Bring a large carrier bag to haul home your finds.

7 Likes

I bought all the starches… still have to make them.

Sorry about your holiday, @naf! Hope you have a wonderful time at home nonetheless.

Make it a staycation and do holiday-ish things, not home things!

I’ve been reading about the transport issues.,

2 Likes

The cancellation might have been a blessing in disguise (unless you are one of the few people that get along with their in laws) :grinning:

3 Likes

I can’t say how lucky we feel that we just experienced the most minimal lashings of the “troubles.” At the very least, no one can say that Paris and France are completely predictable and boring!

1 Like

Oh yeah you were lucky. Everybody is pointing fingers, the government and the syndicates all said the other side is guilty for spoiling Christmas. Nobody loves Macron, this might last a good while.

:joy: I’m ok with them. I’ve been diplomatic, so I’m spared, not my poor sister in law! Just I find the holiday was bit long. I’m very glad that I can decide what to eat at Christmas.

@Saregama I’ll have time for gardening, happy about that too.

3 Likes

BTW, how’s your recovery? Hope you are doing well.

Can you tell now if the operation has been successful to fix your initial problem?

I’m sure it’s a pain for everyone.

Sorry again about your trip…