What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

So naf, I asked my friend who first posted the recipe and she used “regular Kimlan Super Special light soy sauce” on hers, and hers was very dark too (see pic). So it’s still a mystery why the recipe picture is sooooo light.

and @boogiebaby - yep, totally different flavor using the dark soy as opposed to the light, but that’s what i had on hand. looking forward to what you think of the recipe!

2 Likes

So naf, I asked my friend who first posted the recipe and she used “regular Kimlan Super Special light soy sauce” on hers, and hers was very dark too (see pic) so it’s still a mystery why the recipe picture is sooooo light.

our holiday dinners went thusly:

Xmas eve: at my sister’s, snacking on cheese/crackers, then steamed Costco Dungeness crabs with lots of melted butter and lemon. That pretty much filled us up for the day. This was the first time we’d had the Costco crabs not only pre-steamed, which we love, but also frozen, because the fresh were picked over and cracked. The shell after defrosting/reheating isn’t pretty and had me worried, but the crab meat was as sweet and tasty as any other we’ve had. French bubbles to quaff. Cocktails out later with the BF when I got home (no self-driving, of course!)

Xmas day: To start, I made latkes with shallots instead of onions, topped with creme fraiche, chives, and smoked salmon. Turned out great.

Friend of my sister’s brought over spiral baked ham, German mustard, Parker rolls, an amazingly delish potato leek soup with shrooms, some apple strudel and persimmon cake-y bites. Gifted California bubbles accompanied. more cocktails with the BF, this time in-house.

Day after Xmas: At my sister’s again, helping her with her charges (as you may know, my sister boards dogs and the holidays are her busiest time of year). We’d saved a pack of Snake River Farms Wagyu-style beef tips, which we’d first ordered/tried over Thxgiving and fallen in love with. We saved them for our lunch today when we’d be good and hungry, and not fighting stomach real estate with other treats. i also bought some shrimp for Surf & Turf. WELL. DOGS HAPPENED. Actually, ONE PARTICULAR DOG happened. Long, stupid story short, one sneaky dog had the best steak of his life, we got none. NONE.

does he look at all sorry to you??? :sob::sob::sob:

A lot of human wailing and gnashing of teeth happened, and then we ruefully ate our gambas al ajillo while the dog licked his chops.

I had dinner plans with a couple of friends tonight, and that brings us to the end of the Xmas holiday eating bonanza.

Now to go look at your delicious meals…

21 Likes

What a shame @mariacarmen, that he ate ALL the steak. No guilt on his face I can detect, rather a smug, self satisfied look…

3 Likes

Crab cakes for four. Daughter and SIL in town and staying with us

4 Likes

Just in case some may miss the thread. The Christmas meals are here, from ideas, preparations to cooked dishes:

1 Like

A first time making lobster thermador. It was a def success and I will make again. He said it was his fav lobster recipe ever (& I’ve made many). Some steps to put together but it can all be done ahead which is great for a holiday meal. I had help…he split, cleaned and roasted the shells to dry them:)! I did see the recipe done in ramekins but prettier in the shells, think the roasted shells add flavor.

23 Likes

Oh my those are beautiful!

2 Likes

I checked the recipe again, I suspect the meat wasn’t browned on the recipe photo… Looks good both of your dishes, I like more than the recipe photo. If I make it, I’ll let you know the result.

2 Likes

Yes, agree, friend and I both definitely browned the meat well.

2 Likes

one very very lucky dog!

2 Likes

The lobster Thermidor looks awesome! Mrs. P made it as well for Christmas eve. It is one of my favorite lobster presentations. Very decadent. On Christmas day we had Dungeness crab and Alaskan king crab claws. We had some crab left over and Mrs. P added it to the leftover lobster thermidor for dinner the following day :yum:

6 Likes

We didn’t cook at all for Christmas day, we had work in Boston and Wound up staying two extra days so more of the gang could join in. Christmas Eve 20 hard working road grunts and their respective tribe tabled for Brazilian feast in Boston and then walked the city from our Westin hotel to walk off said meal. Gorging resulted in 2 days of IF for me and that diner meal on our trip back to NJ…which was pretty dare tasty. Now I give my ears and body a rest until NY Eve! :grin:

10 Likes

Thanks, @Lambchop!

1 Like

Boston is the right city for this. We often had dinner in Charleston and walked “home” to our hotel at the Longfellow Bridge.

2 Likes

Holy mother what a meal.

1 Like

Our friends are visiting from D.C. with their two under 7. They arrived hungry and we settled in with nibbles - carrot sticks, baby carrots, and kettle chips with ranch dip. Bubbly wine and/or bubbly cider for all. For dinner I made cacio e pepe using Smitten Kitchen’s approach with a cheese-water paste and cooked the pasta in broth in the IP. I even got the squared-off spaghetti! Green salad with LindaWhit’s crowd-pleasing maple balsamic dressing and grilled brats on the side.

Local ice cream - salted caramel and pumpkin with almond Spekulatius for afters. It all went over well - a relief as their kids are as finnicky as mine! :crazy_face:

17 Likes

I was going to make a chorizo hash with poached eggs, but the BF said to let him do it. What i got was a layer of thin-cut fries, chorizo, sour cream and an egg. Deconstructed hash, he called it. Still awfully tasty!

Salad with pink grapefruit and pepitas… a little too bitter, we didn’t finish it. More fries in the kitchen! :grinning:

17 Likes

Decided to make a half recipe of gougeres, so that means champagne! Added a sliced pear and some pepper crusted salami and that was dinner.

16 Likes

Mmm yess

2 Likes